“Tastes like Love”
Review of Semolina L'Osteria

Semolina L'Osteria
Reserve with
Semolina L'Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #232 of 3,012 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 35
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Fantastic Food Surrounded By Expressive Italians!
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Excellent food, reasonably priced, and frequented by locals. If you want to skip the tourist traps in the center of the city it's only a short cab or bus ride away, close to the soccer stadium. This place gets packed so make sure to call and reserve a table. There were 8 of us, so we had a pretty good variety of the menu, but I'm sorry to say the food was so good I forgot to take any more pictures after the first 3 but trust me, all the dishes looked amazing.

I had one of the specials, pumpkin stuffed ravioli with shaved truffles, and I only wish I could eat this dish every day, three times a day, until my body developed a pumpkin intolerance, which I would then get shots for so I could continue eating it.

My sister had an artichoke vellutata which was super smooth and creamy, and sooooooo delicious. Her friend had a terrine with a foie gras flan... this was so good we wanted to cry, and I would have arm wrestled her for it hadn't I already had my mouth full of my pumpkin flavor explosion. The kids in the group had tortellini in broth or ragu sauce over spaghetti, both seemingly simple dishes that were so packed with flavor it was ridiculous. The men had the mussels, also awesome, but I'm tired of writing about the first course.

I had the bisteca for my second course. The meat was perfectly cooked, juicy, bloody, and seasoned just enough. The roasted potatoes were crispy on the outside but mushy on the inside and simply perfection. My sister and her husband shared the fried calamari and artichokes which were a lighter, but by no means inferior, option. The other couple shared the oven baked fish and loved it. It was moist but flaky and subtly seasoned so as not to overpower the taste of the fish.

Everyone was stuffed so dessert was nothing fancy, just some zeppole... dusted with powdered sugar... filled with mascarpone cream... that we literally fought over and ended up having to order more. If they have these available stop pretending you're watching what you eat, or you're on a diet, or whatever, and just order them and forget about the calories because they're worth it. Then order a second round.

Repeat the next day.

THE END

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

We had a great Italian meal in Florence, Italy. The pastas were full of flavor, and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Also, staff was very helpful and patient with us. In addition, it was not very loud and busy. I definitely recommend this restaurant to any locals and tourists!

Reviewed 25 June 2017

After a very hot, humid holiday weekend, we decided we should go out and we didn't want to go far. So decided to return to a place within 5 minutes of our house for dinner. This is a very Florentine neighborhood and we might well be the only permanent "stranieri" or foreigners in the vicinity. We were greeted at the door and given our choice of seating, cool or very cool, in a cozy dining room. Asked if we wanted to eat meat or fish, we answered fish and were recommended to have a baked sea bass (branzino.) We each had a pasta--cavatelli made in house with shrimp and mussels in a sauce of fresh cherry tomatoes, parsley, garlic and a bit of piccante red peppers. Delicious. The other diner had spaghetti con scolio, (seafood) and pronounced it excellent. We shared the sea bass, which was cooked a particular way, sliced along the spine on both sides and roasted with tomatoes, potatoes, oil and parsley. Perfectly cooked and superb. We had cold, white wine from the south, which was perfect. Will go back again soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2017

I had been at their old location six years ago. It was owned by football legend Lorenzo Amoruso who I believe still has a hand in the running of it.

The staff there are some of the same from the original location and they are equally as generous with their service. The food is also spectacular. The chefs make amazing fresh dishes rich in flavour. Not one bad dish in the place.

Both times I've been there I've run into famous Italian soccer players as well.

Do yourself a favour and visit this amazing find in Firenze.

1  Thank ToddV242
Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

We came across this welcoming place because of the location of our accommodation. We don't speak Italian very well so asked the helpful guys to surprise us with what they thought we would like, and the result was first class. They truly took the time to help us have a wonderful evening with delicious food. Eduardo is a great host so we recommend this place for everyone who wants to enjoy a night with delicious food and nice people around. Thanks guys!

1  Thank antoniead