See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 September 2013

im not being overly dramatic ... do not ever think about going there
sleeping in a dirty tent
mosquitoes everywhere
no internet connection
[--] host closes the building on 12:00 u can not go even to the bathroom
worst experience ever

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Yahya Z
Otedis, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Garibaldi's Relais, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

The tents we change often, we have many different solutions for customers. As for the bugs, we applied earlier in the season pest of a whole area dedicated to the customers to avoid what she said. The connection is excellent in all areas. As for entry, we applied a door with automatic entry, keep in mind that we apply restrictive policy for times of check-in. Staff Otedis Garibaldi.

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Do not stay here EVER, not even if you are homeless.

Okay from the top...
We booked our "camping " through the hostel bookers website (reviews lie). It was sold to us as a lush green garden for camping, what we arrived too was a mosquito infested brown dark dirt patch, however there were 2 spots to choose from!

When we arrived the hotel was locked up with no doorbell etc. after going around the building we were eventually greeted by a creepier version of mr bean who took our money, checked us in and showed us around.

First was the shared bathroom, the other reviews don't lie it's horrendous! I wouldn't wish it upon any enemy!

We were told the front doors open at 7am and are closed at 12pm ( bare in mind there is no handle on the outside). So if your camping, outside of "these times" your screwed. On the day we needed to leave early for the Pisa train we were stood outside from 7.30-8am knocking on the front door to use the bathroom.

We were then showed the shambolic garden when we would be staying, he even pointed to the hose pipe and said it would be okay to use. CHEERS!

We set up our tent after doing our best to rake as much rubbish as possible from the area whilst being bitten to death and decided to go into town for as long as possible.

I don't know who gave it any stars but they should be sacked. The hotel claimed to have the following, none of which we can comprehend:

Swimming Pool
(I think we saw a puddle by the hose)

Indoor Swimming Pool
(The floor the bathroom after a shower maybe?)

Outdoor Children's Activities
(If anything it's child cruelty)

Health Spa / Massage
(More like a health hazard, I think I have lost a few years off my life due to this place)

24 - Hour Front Desk
(Doors are only open when the can be bothered waking up)

Baby / Child Care
(HAHAHA)

Dry Cleaning / Laundry Service
(No sign of any of this barring the hose pipe and sink)

Lounge / Bar / Nightclub
(There is a awful vending machine)

Meeting / Banquet Facilities
(I have no idea who would ever use this facility for such an occasion)

Pets Allowed
(There was some form of reptile unless he keeps flies)

Room Service - Limited Hours
(Meaning none at all)

This is just laughable it's completely false!

It has most definitely tainted our florence experience although trying to stay away from the hotel for as long as possible did mean we saw all the sights!

I hope this review is helpful for you to make your decision on weather the budget price justifys the appalling conditions you will have to withstand.
We left at 6am this morning feeling grateful that the whole experience was over!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Kenpops
Reviewed 20 June 2013

DO NOT GO THERE!!!!! Do not go there. Do not even think to go there. All bad informations/ratings given from other travellers are not true - the hotel is worse than all ratings together.
Dirty, no aircondition, no minibar, no chair in room, no table in room, dirty wardrobe, bed linnen seemed to be used before, the reception is a great mess so as the highlighted garden and all others.
my worst experience ever at any hotel and I travel the world not only to its best places but also to the middle of nowhere at Asian countries like China etc.

Room Tip: do not choose any room - just stay away
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Eckardt H
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed in this hostel our last night in Florence and we'd chosen it due to its proximity to airport, because we had a early flight next morning, (and its actually 5 min walk) Well, the hostel in general is in very poor conditions, the photos from the web does not match the reality, as you will see from the pick I took there, the room was very dark, with old furniture, with dirty walls, the bedlinen definitely was not of the white color, the door to the bathroom didnt close. And actually I would not care at all as Im not very picky and it was our last night in florence, BUT THE SMELL. The smell in the hostel is so strong that you cant think of nothing else. They just have to do something about it. It unbearable!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Koshichka
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I’m just gonna get right into this review. My friend and I just spent one week in Florence, and we stayed at Garibaldi’s. We thought it was our responsibility as fellow travelers to write a very detailed and informative review for potential guests.

Lets start off with the basics. Now, going into this, we realized that this place wasn’t going to be no Buckingham Palace. We understood that this was a HOSTEL and the other reviews clearly warned us of what was to come. Alas, we (being poor college students on Christmas break) decided to take a risk and book here anyway. We knew what we were getting into, I mean, it was only 12 euro a night….

I'll give you the good stuff first.
The staff (a middle age man and his mother) were waiting up for us when we got there at night. They were friendly and nice (the grandmother didn’t speak any English but she does speak French!.. she also gives a lot of compliments. Or we think they were compliments, we couldn’t really understand her but we did make out ‘bella’, so that’s good, right?)
We never really had any problems with them, we didn’t see them too often, only occasionally in the morning when we left for town or at night when we came back. Other than that, we sometimes would hear them talking outside but no real disturbances.

The amenities
Lets just say, there aren’t really any. When we first got there, we were given our room. We lucked out, because we were staying in a 6 person room, yet it was only two of us, so that was really nice. However, that was probably because we were there over Christmas, and no one in their right mind would spend Christmas in Garibaldi’s – but we did! Anyway, nothing (and I mean nothing) is included. Pillow cases: 1 euro. Toilet paper: 1 euro. Sheets: 1 euro. Getting a rash at Garibaldi’s: PRICELESS. Just kidding, no rashes have developed-yet. The blankets were stained, the walls had footprints(?) on them and the floor was pretty skuzzy. One morning, someone came into “clean”, but I mean, who really knows what that means.

The bathroom
Hmmm. Well, for starters there isn’t a shower curtain, which means that after you shower the floor gets pretty wet. And, because there is no drain the floor stays pretty wet…. Until you take a shower again and the vicious cycle continues. There isn’t soap provided so please come prepared with your own sanitizer. A really surpirsing plus side was good shower pressure and hot water- didn't see that one coming!

There’s plenty to do at Garibaldi’s! (Haha, that’s a good one!) They display on their website that they have a nice garden area- never saw it! There weren’t really doors to go outside other than the front and even then sometimes that didn’t open. There is a “sitting lounge” (if you could even call it that) in the hallway, but you really cant sit there because of …. The smell.

The smell
Garibaldi’s has a unique scent, if you will, that has been unmatched to anything I’ve ever experienced so far in my 19 years of living. There are two levels of the smell. When you first walk in, it hits ya right in the face. I was trying to figure out how to describe this odor but really all I can say is that it smells like a mix between rotten eggs and Indian/Korean food. The second level is the bathroom, which we didn’t think was possible, where the smell gets more potent. It almost burns the nostrils and brings tears to your eyes if you’re caught off guard. Thankfully, the room itself that we were staying in did not have any scent at all! So, if you don’t mind smells, you smell yourself, or you have lost your sense of smell, Garibaldi’s is the place for you!

Other than that, the hostel is located in a residential, safe town and we had no problem walking to the center of Florence each day. It’s about a 5 mile walk each way (which takes an hour and a half if you’re strolling) but there is a bus stop practically right across the street that (for 1.20 euro each way) will get you right to the center. We were given our own key so that we could come and go when we please, which was nice.

Oh! Also, if you are considering taking a leap of faith and staying at good ol’ Garibaldi’s you’ll need to take a taxi from the airport (despite it being so close). Unless you have an impeccable sense of Italian direction and are willing to cross the motorway, you probably wont be able to find this place by yourself. Be careful if you’re taking a taxi- you’ll probably get ripped off. It’s only a 2 minute ride but they’ll still try and charge you 12 euro.

To summarize, if you’re ready to rough it, have and adventure and have great stories to tell your grandchildren then come on out! While there, we never felt threatened and for the price, we got what we expected. If you’re a 19-30 young adult who’s got nothin’ to lose, you’ll do just fine here…. Just don’t tell your parents the details; it would keep your mother up at night. However, if you’re in the ‘over 30’ age category, I think that you might want to reconsider.

Basically, Garibaldi’s Relais, you’ve given us quite the adventure, but I’ve never been so excited to move on. It definitely puts things in perspective, and I can say I’ve walked away feeling more grateful for my own home.

I hope this review has helped you make a decision either way, and if you do decide to venture a visit to Garibaldi’s we have one thing to say to you: Good Luck. And may the odds be ever in your favor.

Love,