“worst experience. warning do not go there”
Review of Garibaldi's Relais

Garibaldi's Relais
Ranked #270 of 333 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I went there to check in but the place was closed. now one answered the door. we tried to call but no one answered the phone as well. so we went to tourist information center, they tried to call them as well but no one answered. luckily the tourist information center is very good in florence so they booked us another hotel. we had top struggle for almost 3 hours. it was my 2nd destination after rome & was soo stressfull. from outside it looked like a small house & i think they were renting a room out. so its not a proper hostel. i would advise evryone not to book this place as it will be the worst mistake ever. its better to pay more & book another place.

Room Tip: plus camping they have branches throughout italy and they provide a best deal ever
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2010

I've stayed in many B&Bs, motels, hotels, and guest rooms in my life, but the night my husband, friend, and I stayed at the Garibaldi Relais was the worst experience I've ever had. And that goes for my husband and friend as well and we are all in our 50s. My friend has also stayed in many hostels across the United States and said that they were all quieter and more pleasant than what we experienced here. It all began with the fact that the room we were given did not look like any of the photos that we had seen online. Then we learned that in an attempt to create a triple room that the proprietors had crammed three twin beds into one small room, which meant there was no room to move or no place to put one;s luggage. While not very comfortable, we decided to go with the flow. What ended up being worse, however, is that the one bathroom for the entire place was horrible. No shower curtain, no place to put one's toiletries in the shower, the shower head was broken, the towels stained (and perhaps dirty), no soap on the sink, but a bottle of shampoo instead. Also, no cups or ice. My husband asked for a cup and was given a very dirty glass. This was only the beginning, however. The place was extremely noisy. The walls were paper thin and we could hear everything the other guests said, did, and sang. The cliental was very young and loud and lots of pot smoking and clubbing seemed to be their goal.

Also, the proprietors--a woman and her son--got into a major shouting argument with guests who arrived around 9:00 p.m. and found that their reserved room had been given away. When my friend went out to see what was going on (I was afraid to leave the room), the woman slammed the door in her face and told her to go back to her room. I felt like I was in some weird movie like Psycho and feared for our safety. My husband went out about ten o'clock in search of a different hotel and found several in the neighborhood, but by then it was too late. The most shocking part of all of this mess was that they had the audacity to charge us $140.00, which was more than we paid at a lovely hotel in Florence. Bottom line--these people were nuts, the premises scuzzy, and the cost was out of line with what services and amenities provided. They did get us a taxi for the ride to the airport, which was the only bright spot--an escape from hell.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacquelyn100
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We booked a double room in Garibaldi relais (reservation number GF-72600001, 17-18Jun,2010). We arrived there in the middle of storm, at 1 p.m. and we are informed that we could not stay there because there are no room free, but we can leave the luggage (in open corridor) and come back in the evening. When I entered the reception (which should not be called this way, it was simply small, dirty, messy corridor) with our 8 months old daughter, we were informed that we should pay a double price because of her presence (look at hotel description:"children are welcome" that is not true!!!!), and anyway the rooms are too small to stay with a child. During the reservation I indicated that we travel with a child, however it was not indicated in the voucher. Anyway they did not want to look at it, they informed us that they have their own papers. Mathilda (our daughter) was hungry, we tried to explain that it is a nonsens what they were doing (we speak english, french and finally we called our italian friend, in order to avoid misunderstanding..), no way. We just had to leave. Additionally they were really impolite, I would say rude, the old woman at the beginning tried to calm the situation, as the man was simply screaming in half English/half Italian. Simple disaster, they spoiled a part of our holidays, we had to find another hotel and pay a lot of money…
Another advice, on the website it is written that they have bathrooms for each room. I was allowed to enter and I saw three rooms and one bathroom in the corridor, people were going from their rooms to the common bathroom. Be careful when choosing this hotel

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2006

We have just returned from a week at the Hotel Caffellatte. The hotel is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely ambience and good and friendy staff.
During the afternoon it's literally italian caffellatte in a romantic hall of small hotel. Accross the street are a quite park "Le cascine" are located a museum of Indiano. Our kids are 11 and 13 and they enjoyed it.
Caffellatte Hotel are still a gardens for all guest for spend a quite time after the shopping in a downtown. Close the hotel are lovely restaurants called "Il Panda" the price are quite economic and the service are friendly as well.

We paid $120 per night for a room on the club level which we thought excellent value. There were 1 double beds so the two persons.
Overall I would say this is probably the best small hotel we have ever stayed in on holidayand I am extremely fussy!

Are interess about the local shop, tuscany wine, slow food, tipical food, are great!!!

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank Crivellaro
Reviewed 2 May 2004

Made a reservation online. Tried to cancel but there phone was disconnected. So, I went in person to say I tried calling for 7 days but I was told the phone was not working for a week. When I got to the location the gates were locked. No one answered the bell for about a half hour, I stayed outside in the pouring rain. A woman finally answered and asked what I wanted. She came to door with a cigarette hanging from her mouth and a hanky in her bosom sticking out of shirt. She said they were not expecting anyone. Then she found the reservation and went on to show me the rooms. What a horror, the place was NOT ONLY TERRIBLE. FILTHY AS WELL. Place is filthy and not as described. BEWARE!!!!!! FOUR STAR..... THAT IS A JOKE.......

• Stayed: May 2004