“Great host!”

Il Grillo di Firenze
Ranked #12 of 657 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in Florence for four nights last week. We chose Il Grillo because it was very affordable and just outside the city center. Lara was nice, friendly, and spoke English fluently. When we arrived, she got us something to drink, gave us a number of useful maps, and pointed out some of her favorite places to see and eat. The room and bathroom were very clean. The bed was a bit tiny (we usually sleep on a king at home!) and the breakfast was simple yet sufficient. Our room lead out to a balcony that overlooked the neighborhood. A very nice touch! We even ordered pizza from a local ristorante and ate it on the balcony one night. Overall, we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

The rooms are spotless, we loved the balcony. The bus to the train station is a block away. There's a supermarket two blocks away. The B&B is run by Lara, who is the nicest person you'll ever meet. She booked a tour of Sienna for us, recommended restaurants and things to see in Firenze, and gave us directions for everything. This place is what all B&B should be! We extended our stay (there's a lot to see in the area around Firenze), and would have stayed longer if we could. Thank you so much, Lara and Lorenz. ...Janice and kevin

Room Tip: Room 3 is great, doors to the balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was looking for a quiet place, decently priced, and not too far from Sta. Maria Novella train station to base myself for two weeks and after much searching online, I found Il Grillo di Firenze.

From Peretola Airport, it's only few minutes away by taxi. I remember paying a bit over 10Euro including tip as I arrived at night. Taxis have different meter drop for night and day.

Lara was gracious and welcoming even though it was getting closer to 11pm when I finally arrived. My flights from Lisbon-Munich-Florence were delayed for several hours. We did communicated via texts throughout that day about my changing arrival times.

The single room has a double bed, chair, night table , reading lamp, big closet with enough hangers and a small TV. It's clean as the rest of the place and well lit. During my two weeks stay, it felt like I was the only one using the bathroom because it was always gloriously clean and dry. There are two shared full bathrooms in Il Grillo and I knew that the other rooms were occupied.

Breakfast is cakes, packets of toasts/croissants, butter, jam, juice and choice of tea or coffee. I like to hit the coffee bars throughout the day starting in the morning for my coffee/croissant/tramezzini fix so this breakfast is ample enough until I get my proper sit down meal.

As the previous posts mentioned, there are maps, brochures available for the taking and Lara was happy to help and answer questions on how to make the best of your visit to Florence. Lara was so easy to talk to that some mornings, I would be late leaving for whatever I had planned that day because of our chats. Sadly, I never got to practice my poor Italian since her English is excellent.

A laundry mat, chocolate pastry shop, grocery store, coffee bar, a restaurant and gelateria are all within 3 minute walking distance. The ATM downstairs outside the building has a 300 Euro limit for withdrawals. I bought a small chestnut ice cream cake from that chocolate pastry shop, Boutique del Cioccolato and it was delicious. The gelateria, SottoZero, was also very good to end my day before coming back to Il Grillo. The restaurant, Senzanome, around the corner does takeout pizza if you don't feel like eating out.

Location has been mentioned before so I won't say anything more about it.

There is still room for improvements but all in all, this place met my expectations for the amount I paid.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank parrotfish07
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Il Grillo is well located - close to the historical center (a 15 minute or so walk), but in a quiet area. Very clean and well-maintained, and Lara and Lorenzo were welcoming and helpful in answering all our questions. You get a map on arrival, and they tell you what the highlights of Florence are. All in all, I had a wonderful stay there, and would happily return if I ever go back to Florence

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We really enjoyed our stay. Lara was great, friendly and gave us excellent advice about what to do, what to see, and how to get their. The location was convient reachable by bus. Very clean with breakfast every morning go and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple