“Worst restaurant experience on our 2 week trip to Sicily!”
Review of Ristorante Il Blu

Ristorante Il Blu
Ranked #143 of 712 Restaurants in Syracuse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2017

We just got home from a fantastic 2 week trip to Sicily - and I have to say that I usually don't write a review unless it is great one - but our experience at Il Blu was the worst restaurant experience that we had during our whole time in Sicily so I feel that I have to speak up... First let say that we went there wanting a light lunch - on their menu they had Sicilian opened face sandwiches (pane cunzato) - the photos looked good - we ordered it - the sandwich was awful - tasteless tomatoes, bitter lettuce, a few pieces of fresh mozzarella and a touch of olive oil (even the bread was not very good) - later on our trip we tried pane cunzato again - made correctly it can be a wonderful dish - especially when the restaurant does not skimp on the ingredients. To add insult to injury they charged us a "cover charge" for a basket of bread which we didn't eat - a basket of bread for a meal that consists primarily of bread - makes no sense! Stay away!

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

I stopped in this restaurant as I wanted to have a coffee while waiting with the luggage for a ride. The waitress was rude & seated me in a spot with sun as I was not having a meal; another 3 tables in shade were available. I asked for cappuccino, she explained with an attitude it's a restaurant & they only serve coffee. Milk was not an option. She made me feel very uncomfortable. Other guests were having meals & were treated nice. I was a bit hungry but would not consider to stay based on the situation she created.

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

I thought the food was amazing.
Lovely couple two owners husband and wife.

I had tuna with pistachio
Wife had swordfish with peach loved it
2 pasta dishes very nice

Dessert chocolate and we asked for a Marsala worked wonderfully.

I must admit I just saw a couple of bad reviews from others afterwards. I don't understand it I would recommend this place over and over.

Get the Tuna special !!!

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

We ended up to this quiet and out-of-the-way place after walking along the coast
The menu is what kept us there: the pasta with shrimp and dried tomatoes was great, while their signature dish (carpaccio of tuna on a bed of integral black rice)
The wine they suggested was also very good
The owner/hosts were absolutely great, as we laughed throughout the evening

Reviewed 12 May 2017

I had visited this bar / restaurant twice in the last year, as I liked their drinks. But it has changed A LOT - the drinks and the foo is just awful. The ingredients used both in cocktails and in the dishes are of poor quality (I suspect this is in order to keep the costs down).
The owner is still working along with his wife - very charming when you arrive, telling you all about their specialities (depending on what kind of customer you are, they will suggest a speciality drink or a dish). Seems like everything is the owner's speciality. I wish it was, but it is certainly not!

The food arrives lukewarm, with pasta being overcooked and everything tasting bland. At €12 - €18 a pop, the quality is just shocking. The starters / appetisers and sharing boards are badly overpriced and the quality of the ingredients just does not warrant the price.

Funnily enough, the owner swiftly disappears after he has sold his "specialities". The service after ordering is non-existent, and when you wish to speak to the owner you get told that he has left for the night.. Only to be seen working 30 min later.

Save yourself the hassle and disappointment, avoid!