“The worst place I have ever been”

Hotel Hostel Firenze
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palermo
Hotel Hostel Firenze
Ranked #92 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This is definitely the worst place I have ever been and, I have been travelling a lot in the last ten years! Most of the rooms are located above a disco which means that it is basically impossible to sleep. Karaoke nights are particular painful! Staff was pretty unhelpful and arrogant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Eleonora C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

First of all I picked it as handy for the station...in the daytime maybe
At night, no chance..even the taxi couldn't find it and dropped me at the end of the road..a narrow alley full of hawkers and drinkers..
No sign except a small notice on the door told me where to go.
Then the receptionist even asked me with disbelief that I wished to stay 2 nights...I should've realised then, but being so tired I thought the music and awful singing would soon stop..wrong! About 530 am they cease fire..and again the next night ..
A dark, dingy hostel, shabby bedlinen, no towels, with nothing to recommend it, I suppose in a city you can expect these things but the price compared to others far, far better, was an insult.
I can't find a plus, sorry.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The room wasn't particularly clean or comfortable, but that's often how things are in a hostel dorm so I wasn't too worried. There was a locker for my valuables, so that was a plus. The shared bathrooms aren't particularly clean — again, just hostel-style accommodation.

The clubs downstairs did provide very entertaining people watching, but the karaoke really does blare until almost dawn (it's pretty hilarious at first, but the novelty wears off if you're sober.) This hostel's ideal if you want to be in the club till dawn and then stumble home, which did seem to be the goal of many of the guests.

My main concern was that the staff member on duty was entirely dismissive when I came down to the lobby for help in the middle of the night because as soon as the music finally stopped the boy who was the only other guest in my dorm decided to stand in the middle of the room masturbating and insisting I have sex with him. (It was far more funny than threatening, but I was *reeeeeally* tired and he wouldn't shut up about it.) The staff person in the lobby just shrugged and told me to sleep on the sofa in the lobby. Eventually I convinced him to go up to the room with me, at which point the shamefaced fellow guest sheepishly vacated.

Then I realised that the staff person hadn't taken the boy's room key or anything, so it was basically pointless. I didn't end up getting any sleep until I eventually passed out the next afternoon at the airport. At least it's a funny story now.

Room Tip: No room is good with staff like that.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RJC_NW6
Reviewed 11 July 2011

If you want to have at least some sleep during your stay in Palermo, please dont stay there. There is no AC, so in addition to all that noise on a hot day/night you are going to sweat a lot. All the rooms are very noisy, the showers and toilettes are not in the best condition (at least those that I have the honor to see). Although, it has a central location and is not too far from the central train station and intercity bus services, I still would not stay there again.
If you pay a little more you can get a much better place, and this time it would be worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The worst part was the noise!! There is a club downstairs that plays music so loud it is impossible to sleep and without a/c you have to open the windows, but then the mosquitos come in. They play music until at least 4am and I thought the next night would be better as it was a weekday, but no it is every night!! I heard a fight break out and lots of drama!

The hotel is down a street full of cheesy, seedy clubs, there are much better clubs elsewhere! This is a very dilapidated old building with no elevator, so be prepared to lug your things up a couple flights of stairs. I stayed in a single, which was 35 euro a night with no a/c or amenities and the kind of bathroom where everything gets soaking wet. It was not very clean either, I found ants on the wall by the bed and on the toilet seat. The pillow was gross!! There was also a lot of noise from the other guests, young, drunk Americans stumbling home from a night of too much drinking, fun!

After two nights I left and found a really nice hotel for only 5 euro more!! With a/c, very clean and modern and internet access! I couldn't believe the difference 5 euro made and can't believe how much Hotel Firenze overcharges for what they offer!! There are much better deals elsewhere! I stayed at Ariston Hotel on Via Mariano Stabile in the new part of town, maybe a 10 min walk away.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo