“Okay”

Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Alghero
Florida
“Okay”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My friend and I visited Sardinia for the first time and stayed at the Soleado. We originally had 3 people traveling with us and one of my friends could no go. We booked the room for 3 people but only 2 stayed. The hotel staff would not adjust the room rate so we ended up having to pay for 3 people! The hotel is centrally located, the beach is right across the street and the town is walking distance. The staff could not speak very good English which was furstrating at times. I would reccommend skip this hotel and stay at the Florida Hotel right next door!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Middle Earth
Reviewed 28 September 2009

The Soleado occupies a good position overlooking the bay of Alghero - it is a reasonably modern building constructed in a wedge shape with the 'sharp' end facing the beach.

Between the hotel and the beach there is a busy (and sometimes,noisy) road so if this is an issue you will need a side-facing room to reduce traffic noise.

Our room was of an adequate size, basically furnished, with a sheltered balcony - the flooring is tiled so if you are next to (or under) a 'shifter' of furniture you will hear every scrape!
The bathroom was clean, but the shower was broken and could only be hand-held. There was a bidet for the 'rear wash-wipe' fans...

There was plenty of hot water, though this did occasionally run with a brown tinge, so may be a recycled or desalinated supply? We did not use the pool, but it looked reasonably clean (I saw it apparently being checked at one point) and was being enjoyed by other guests - it is surrounded by a small paved area with sunbeds, parasols etc, but this was overlooked by the neighbouring hotel if you are maybe a little shy...

We stayed on a half-board basis - breakfast consisted of croissants, rolls, cold meat, cheese, fresh and tinned fruit and cereal. There was no hot option and the area in which the food was placed often became chaotically crowded if a number of people (or a party) all arrived for breakfast at the same time - the staff generally did their best to keep order, though the two automated hot drink dispensers often thwarted their efforts by wheezing to a halt at strategic moments.

Dinner was a choice from a set menu of three options for starter and main, and two for dessert - this was nothing special (predominantly pasta/soup to start and rather ordinary meat/fish for main, though according to the menu this was apparently 25 Euros-worth!) and cannot really be recommended.

Reception staff smiled sweetly until you actually wanted them to do something at which point they looked dumbfounded and made rather heavy weather of it - their understanding of English could be a little sketchy at times, though it was consdiderably better than my Italian so could be forgiven.

I was amazed that, upon checking out, our bill was a bundle of restaurant receipts which was subjected to a small calculator and some head-scratching - luckily there was no argument at the final figure, but woe betide you if you actually want a receipt! Eventually one was produced on piece of scrap-paper, though when we handed our key in for the last time the following day nobody said a word, so we could have just left without paying anything.

And what of Alghero? An attractive little town with a large marina, long beach, pleasant Old Town and harbour. Of the local attractions 'Neptune's Grotto' offers an extensive cavern system accessible by land or sea (trip and entrance fee are charged separately so beware...), there are other boat trips and an open-top Tourist Bus which will take you around the locality for a couple of hours. If you like walking get the bus to Fertilia and amble back along the beach - glorious if the weather is good.

The rail link is currently disrupted so the first part of any rail trip is by bus to the station at Olmedo. Sassari, the local 'capital' did not seem to offer anything special, but the bus ride to Bosa follows the coast road south for about 40 minutes and is worth doing, though Bosa itself seemed almost deserted when we got there. (There are numerous bus-lines and the demarcation at the 'bus station' can be confusing.)

Finally, do visit the Information Centre in Alghero - unfailingly helpful, English-speaking, and remarkably good-natured whenever we were in there.

So, would we go back? Alghero is worth considering for a week or so - the Soleado would probably not be my first choice of hotel, (though probably typical of the standards in the area) but if I did return I think it would have to be B & B.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Lisbon
Reviewed 25 September 2009

The hotel is located right in front of the beach of the beautiful town of Alghero.The room we stayed in was rather small for two, but comfortable and clean, with a good bathroom,a good air conditioning which worked properly,and a small balcony with a side view to the beach. There was a good terrasse outside with a view to the beach,situated at a 1 minute walk from the hotel, and a rather nice,though small swimming-pool.The breakfast wasn't excellent, but it provided for a good meal, though served on old and stained chairs and towels. One thing we found particularly unnerving was the reception staff,mostly young girls who looked at us as if we were some kind of aliens or intruders,didn't help at all, were totally unuseful and unavailable for anyhting, from a small tip of information about some sightseeing, to where to eat or to go in Alghero, which is a rather expensive city.They simply didn't know or didn't care.Their English wasn't very good, and since my Italian is quite good I reverted to it, though they seemed ungrateful because when I asked if I was saying something right they told me I should go to school in order to learn properly...quite nice, indeed. The breakfast timetable must be corrected,because it starts-religiously - at 8.00h am and so early-risers are entitled to it.The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the beautiful centre of Alghero.One negative aspect: the plumbing was quite noisy which was annoying during the night. The Internet didn't work properly.We don't know if we would stay in this hotel again,and one big motive is the fact that the staff is not friendly nor welcoming at all, but we can recommed it for a short stay in Alghero.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
bristol
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Just came back from our holiday in Alghero.
We travel a lot so we have seen better and worse hotels but this was our first time with our little boy who is nearly 2.
Alghero itself is a wonderful place. It has it all, nice beaches, great marina, wonderful views and a bit of history. Also what we loved it doesn't cater for English breakfast fans. At all. Now... the hotel. We were trying to make the most of it so approached it with an open mind. As the break was booked quite late we knew that we get what we pay for. Sardinia is very expensive so I recommend getting a deal on half board on activehotels. It will give you the option of eating out but won't break the bank.
The food was good, breakfast quite basic but I bet you don't eat more at home (unless you have a fryup but it's your cholesterol:), dinner was a 3 course meal and I have to say it was great !! we went out one night to taste the buzz and had a one course meal for 60 euros... was just better presented but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the hotel meal.
Our room was nice and spacious, all rooms have balconies. The only downside was the air con needed servicing long time ago and it didn't work. And the "alledged" boss has never turned up to do anything about it. Anyway the location is great but the hotel is run in a random way. Nobody (except for the dining room staff) cares, nobody smiles and after being given few nasty looks and treated like an intruder I even stopped making an effort speaking Italian. English is not my first language but if I have learnt it they could as well, especially working in the industry they are. Yes I agree a welcome pack could be great. The hotel is run thanks to mercy from heaven. It has great facilities like a roof terrace but only because my husband was nosey we knew about it. Also the beach umbrella business... we got one because we asked. They won't come out of their way to help and the reception staff looks like they hate their job. To save some cash at the end we wanted to take a bus to the airport. They told us where the bus stop was but forgot to mention that we need to buy the tickets in the harbour which was a 20 min walk and when we accidentally (!) found out we were already back from there. Little annoying things really. If you can't afford anything better please be patient. Generally it must be just the English who smile and pretend that the customer comes first.
On the positive note... our little boy loved the paddling pool, the beach, the dinning room staff gave him all the attention and it was fantastic to see him so happy.
Also one word of warning... don't buy any coral from La Corallina in old town... avoid as plague. Extremely overpriced. We bought a necklace. First were given short change and when the clip broke and we came back for help with fixing it they just said "non posso" and shoed us out!!! there are many other nice places around who fixed it for us just as a favour! Awful service, avoid!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank zablinska
London
Reviewed 8 April 2009

It is this time of the year again when I start looking at booking my next summer holiday and was just going through some of my pics from my stay in Alghero. I really had a lovely stay at this hotel.

We only spend four nights here, but would go back if I could. The location is great and the hotel/rooms were clean. I am usually very picky when it comes to bathrooms/shower facilities, but have to stay that I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was cleaned every day and the towels/soaps replaced. Although the same breakfast wasnt that great after day two, it was fresh and what I would expect from a breakfast included deal.

I noticed that the pool was well taken care of and enjoyed having drinks from the bar sitting outside before going to bed at night. Yes, have to admit, drinks were a bit expensive though, but overall I think our stay at this hotel justified the money we paid.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple