1,187 results
All reviews star hotel free soft drinks sea view pool area mini bar old town executive room lovely hotel bottle of champagne plenty of sunbeds pool attendant minute walk reception staff breakfast was excellent pool towels each evening lunch menu
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This is a lovely hotel, the staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast buffet was excellent. We didn't use the pool but it was cleaned thoroughly every day. The rooms were comfortable and soft drinks were replenished in the fridge every day. No radio in the room, the TV had a few english language news channels and was slow to start up. The bar was well stocked and the bar staff were quick and friendly although I think the hotel was pretty quiet it being the end of September. We ate at the Emperador restaurant once, it looks a bit clinical but the food was excellent. It's about 10/12 minute walk to the town square and another 10-12 minutes to the Marina and from the hotel to the start of the beach was about 35 minutes. There are a lot of restaurants in Alghero old town and although they all have mostly fish on the menu, most do standard Pizza and steak. The restaurants in the back streets are quieter than the sea front ones (and cheaper obviously). If you go to the Tourist Information office, the lady there will give you a 10% voucher for some restaurants, we ate at 2 and both were good.

Stayed: September 2017
5  Thank SidSewell
Hotel Carlos V R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear Mr Sewell,

Thanks for your review, even if we don't understand the heading of it.

We are happy that you anjoyed your stay at the Hotel Carlos V, and that appeciated the wonderful view from your sea front room, the quality of the food, friendly staff and the clean hotel, but of course, we would like to know why you not consider us a 5 star Hotel?
Kind Regards Hotel Carlos V

Reviewed 1 October 2017

From Monday to Friday drilling and banging in front of my sea view room.ask for a manager and was told it’s to early for the manager I ask for him to phone me when he arrived I never got a call from the manager or reception.a few days later once again I asked for the manager,I was told he was busy so I ask for him to get in touch,once again I heard nothing.This it absolutely disgraceful management skills.(please see my video on YouTube)Also Antonio on reception is very rude I went down to ask a question he continued to type away even though I was the only person in reception.I didn’t really think to much of it until I heard how he spoke to 2 elderly lady’s.The hotel is very clean and all the other staff are very friendly and polite.Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank scwhittaker69
Hotel Carlos V R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel.
We are deeply sorry to read that you experienced discomfort during your stay.
Unfortunately sometimes happen that something goes wrong and we have to fix it urgently, but in time slots allowed.
We know that you were given an appointment with the manager, but you did not show up...
Our team are keen to continually improve the service they provide and we take all feedback, good or bad, very seriously.
We hope you are gonna give us the chance to do better next time.
Regards,Hotel Carlos V

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Spent Two weeks at this fantastic hotel in September 2017. All staff were extremely friendly and professional. Pool area was kept spotless with plenty of beds. Bar area overlooking the ocean with a spectacular view. Food was excellent. rooms are a good size with all that was required. Location was perfect as its a short walk to the old town.

Room Tip: Would pick a pool view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Edward M
Hotel Carlos V R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Mr Edward,
thank you very much for this lovely review!
We are happy that you enyojed your stay at the Hotel Carlos V, and that you appreciate our professionalism and the high quality of our services.
We wait you to try our new Spa for another relaxing stay with us.
Kind regards from all the staff of Hotel Carlos V

Reviewed 27 September 2017

This is a tricky review to write as my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our fortnight's holiday in Alghero. The hotel is in a great location just a 15 minute walk along the prom from the Old Town where there were some lovely restaurants and cafes to enjoy good food and people watch whilst enjoying an Aperol. The thing is we can't quite put our finger on why we didn't like it as much as some hotels we have visited in Italy. It's definitely not 5 star but there were some nice touches like the free soft drinks in the fridge that were restocked daily (not being allowed to put other items in the fridge though did seem a bit picky). It also had free Wi-Fi which did not need a daily password or the like. We were on a B & B basis and had a lovely room (304) looking out to sea with a spacious balcony. It was very clean with a great shower, powerful hairdryer and nice products in the bathroom. The safe was also free although you have to pay a weekly fee for a tea and coffee tray The maid also did a splendid job changing the sheets and hoovering every day. The downside is that the pool is freezing and we have to agree with Catherine Tracy's review that the lunch time snacks looked totally insipid and uninspiring. If you walk out of the hotel to the right and carry on for 5 minutes there is a nice little bar called Il Chiosco which doesn't look much but does a great Aperol Spritz and a couple of large Panini's for less than €15. We obviously caught sight of the dinner menu which although not overly expensive did not capture our imagination and we did not eat there once in our 14 night stay. Breakfast's were good with nice fresh fruit, hot food, croissants, pancakes and a chef doing omelettes, poached eggs etc. It's a bit harsh to say it was repetitive when they were supplying such a wide choice although we found it odd that fresh tomatoes (cooked were available) for example were conspicuous by their absence. The hotel is cosmopolitan in that there were quite a few nationalities in evidence but us Brits are starting to beat the Germans at putting towels on sunbeds (when there was no need) and people (Brits again) making sandwiches at the table for their lunch was we found a tad embarrassing. I have to agree with other reviews that the staff were not overly friendly and we were not shown to our room upon arrival, just given general directions. I suppose the big question is would we go back to Alghero and the answer is probably not but it is a lovely town with a picturesque harbor, nice restaurants and great gelato.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mikepdews

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a feedback. I'm really sorry to hear you encountered some issues during your stay. If you had raised these with a member of our team we could have dealt with this at the time and I'm sorry you left unhappy.
Of course we are happy that you appreciated your room and minibar service free of charge.
We sincerely apologise that you did not receive our normally high standard of customer service with professional and friendly staff.
We will do our best to improve our services! We need all feedback, good or bad to do it.
We hope you are gonna give us the chance to do better next time.
Regards, Hotel Carlos V

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We have just returned from Carlos V and were a family of 6 adults celebrating my husbands birthday. I agree with quite a lot of the previous comments in that the hotel is definitely not 5 star and would give it a 3-4 star. The hotel is beautiful from the outside and advertises it as Carlos V Hotel and Spa, to which there is currently no spa as it's just being built. The reception area does look like a residential home and let's the rest of the building down. The pool area and bar are very nice with stunning views out to sea with a 10-15 minute walk to the lovely old town. Bedrooms/bathrooms are also very nice and kept clean to high standard. Our main gripe was the breakfast menu which was very repetitive with the same food served every single day which was often cold even at 8.00 a.m. in the morning, and the coffee which was absolutely disgusting. Poolside snacks looked and were completely tasteless to which there was a choice of about 4. I would think that once the hotel addresses the above it would get the 5 stars but there again once the Spa is open I would think the hotel would put their accommodation prices up.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Catherinetracy

Dear Mrs Catherine Tracy,
thank you so much for the review of our hotel.
We are happy that you appreciated our Hotel rooms with an elegant furnishing and very clean.
Of course we would like to clarify some points:
Firstly the Breakfast is very strange for us to hear that was repetitive as we have plus than 84 tipes of high quality products puts on refrigerated or warm special tables, and there is a chef that prepare express omelette or other plates, in the restaurant there is the possibility to make a coffe by your self or to have an espresso at the table.
Secondly isn't specify anywhere and even on your reservation that the Hotel has a Spa but only that on charge and previously booked some special treatments like massage etc.
The new Spa will be inaugurated on March 2018 and the Hotel prices does not depend from it.
We hope to have you as our guest for a relaxing Holiday and why not to try our new SPA.
Kind regards, Hotel Carlos V