Always looking for something different in choice of hotel and location, I booked Villa Las Tronas in the town of Alghero for my wife and I. Sardinia had never really registered on my radar until I saw the hotel advertised on leading travel agent websites. Only a 2h30 flight from Stansted and with temperatures comfortably in the mid 20s, the short flight was perfect for my wife who was almost 5 months pregnant.
Las Tronas is located on the site of an old watchtower, which explains its position on a rocky outcrop in the Med. It has a history of royal influence and has undergone various revamps throughout the decades, notably the addition of the castle-like defences around the tops of the building.
The decor is uniquely Italian and the facilities, all you would expect from a 5* luxury hotel. Las Tronas boasts its own gardens and private access points to the sea. The spa facility has a reasonably well equipped gym, full range of treatments, sauna, and an indoor shallow warm water pool (comfortable for an adult to stand throughout) with mood lighting. The restaurant is first class and the view out to the Med whilst dining needs no explanation. The bar is well stocked and offers a comfortable place to relax after dinner. A laptop is available for guests to use at no additional charge.
During the peak, hotter months, the outdoor pool, loungers, and restaurant tables are available. Use of the outdoor facilities would complete the experience but unfortunately for us, the outdoor pool was about a week from being filled due to essential maintenance ahead of the approaching peak season. Also, and by no means under the control of the hotel, the evening weather was not quite warm enough for al fresco dining (probably a month or two away yet).
We stayed in the sea view room on the second floor. Large double windows open out to the Med in front, with another window facing the town of Alghero (a short 5min walk along the coast). Room sizes are modest and are regularly serviced. Wife found the bed a little firm and high, but said height did allow her to spot two dolphins that are regular visitors to the bay!
Any review of a hotel would not be complete unless you mention the service. Staff are incredibly attentive, accommodate special requests, very friendly, happy to make bookings on your behalf and make great efforts to communicate in English. The people at Las Tronas deserve alot of credit for the way this hotel is run and the positive guest experience.
A few tips for outside the hotel:
- get the hotel's recommendations on restaurants in Alghero (our best experiences were at Andreini, Nettuno, Il Corallo, and Maristella)
- do vist the Neptune caves
- consider a car hire (take licence) for better mobility for accessing beaches, other towns or historical sites although not essential
- use the hotel cabs (official airport cabs will rip off tourists)
- be aware that shops and restaurants close early pm til late afternoon for siestas
- many restaurants close on a Sunday and Monday
- restaurants open at 730pm for evening meals
In closing, a week in Las Tronas is highly recommended for anyone needing a relaxing break in style. Do as much or as little as you like. The service and food is first class. The hotel offers guests a unique experience and is in my opinion, the only way to visit Sardinia. You get a sense of pride as you walk up the coast and see "your castle" perched out in full view of the town! Perhaps in the next year or two, I will book again during the peak months of May to September to experience the al fresco dimension of this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Las Tronas is the delightful 5-star hotel that has become the symbol of Alghero - “the Golden Door to tourism in Sardinia” - situated on the Riviera del Corallo on the north-west coast of the Island. The hotel rises from the sea-shore with its Spa, nestled in the greenery of nearly two hectares of park that separate it from the Alghero waterfront, on a headland surrounded on three sides by the crystal-clear water of the bay. Numerous quays invite you to sunbathe and swim in the most comfortable, private way. The view is spectacular and the atmosphere so intense and romantic as to steal the hearts of Italian Royalty, who chose the Villa up to the nineteen-forties for their holidays in Sardinia. The bar and panoramic restaurant are the ideal place to relax, while your gaze takes in the Bay of Alghero and rediscovers the timeless luxuriousness inherent in the unique features and character of the villa. The Hotel and the Spa – with its covered sea-water swimming-pool (also looking out over the Mediterranean), sauna, Turkish bath, Kneipp walkway, gym and the beauty area – are open all through the year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Villa Las Tronas Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Las Tronas Hotel Alghero
- Villa Las Tronas Hotel And Spa
- Hotel Las Tronas
- Villa Las Tronas Hotel & Spa Alghero, Sardinia