All reviews no elevator canal view rialto bridge excellent location croissants small canal san marco spacious room first floor ham marks square a wonderful stay small hotel your luggage train station trattoria map
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay in Venice. Below are the pros and cons for this hotel
Pros
Spotlessly clean, big one this for me!
Superb location, right in the middle of everything but up a quite alley so you don't get masses of noise.
Comfortable bed!
Good shower with plenty of hot water!
Good choice for continental breakfast, cereals, toast, croissants, ham, cheese etc.

Cons
Difficult to find in the dark! Not the hotels fault! Obvious once you've found it, but a bit if an initial challenge.
The lack of staff after 7 could be a problem I suppose, but wasn't an issue for us although this is the only reason I have dropped a star. We arrived after 7 but were able to gain access via the intercom.

If you are the type of traveller who requires constant staff attention then probably not the place for you, but if you want a quiet clean comfortable room in a fab location then this could be for you!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Oh goodness...where to start...

I am not the type of person to give a bad review and I always try to find the silver lining, but this hotel has seriously challenged me!

Yes, the hotel is a 5min walk from Saint Marco's and right in the shopping district. Yes, some of the rooms do have great canal views.
Yes, the rooms are traditional.
Even considering this, I would not stay at this hotel again.

We had issues right from the beginning with booking a room where we were charged for two rooms and refused a refund. Luckily we had Mastercard on our side who fought the battle for us.

Our room was right on the top floor which is great if the hotel has a lift! Carrying bags up 4 flights of stairs without any help is really not fun! I felt really sorry for my mom and ended up carrying all our bags up and down the stairs. They really need to either get a lift or get someone to assist guests in carrying their bags. I really don't know how older guests would manage.

I'm not too sure what we did to upset the receptionists so badly, but right from the get go they were very snappy, irritated and I felt like apologizing every time I had a question.

Breakfast...oh...breakfast. Downstairs in a stuffy little "restaurant". Dry bread and tons of cake, it became the war of the fruit and yogurt. Come down too late and you would not be granted your wish of a fruit or yogurt...and DON'T DARE ASK! THE ANSWER IS NO! Well done to all the other guests who managed to beat us to it. As they say...the early bird catches the worm!

Reception closes after 7pm every day. Trying to check in after that will not go down well. I had come to the rescue of a couple who were standing outside with their heavy bags not being able to get in. The gentleman and the restaurant really doesn't care about the hotel guests and makes it very well known.

I would definitely look for a hotel within this location, but next time I'll be sure to give this hotel a skip!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Cheree R
Reviewed 19 August 2017

This place is located very close to San Marco's square and is at the heart of shopping area in Venice. The major drawback of this hotel is not having lift facility. WE had luggages and were alloted 3rd floor. So we had to move our luggages through stairs which was very tedious.

Room Tip: Choose room in 1st floor
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

My husband of one week and I came on our honeymoon here. We were locked out of our room for 45 minutes (they use actuL keys and gave us two to the front door) and yelled at us telling us we were wrong over a "bell camera". No one works after 7pm apparently so no one could help us. The man at the restaurant next door was the only person to help. Finally we got into our room and our safe didn't work. We have valuables and we're not ok with leaving them. Owner says "no one can fix until morning, leave them on the bed. No problem".... OBVIOUSLY there is a problem. And finally when my husband got very ill- no phone to call an ambulance. I was hysterical because I thought my husband was dying, and they have nothing to communicate.
This morning I went to ask what they could do to make us feel better.... as we spent almost €400 ... and we're EXTREMELY unhappy - offer to take away the city tax. No thank you to €7 when we spent way too much of this room.
Thank you for wrecking our honeymoon. What HORRIBLE customer service.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sam_bianco
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

A gorgeous boutique hotel right in the heart of San Marco. We had a canal view room which was wonderful and looked right out over the water.
The decor was typically venetian and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast selection was limited, but enough to get us going for the day.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. When we checked in, my husband mentioned that we were there to celebrate my birthday and later that afternoon they brought a complimentary bottle of wine to our room.
I would definitely recommend a stay at Al Gazzettino and choose a canal view - it's magical!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple