“Great location for daytripping. Great room. Great breakfast.”

Hotel Grand Italia Residenza d'Epoca
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Padua
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Since we have been to Venice several times before, this trip we decided to stay outside of Venice in an area that was conducive to both day trips into Venice and day trips to the other towns of the region. We chose Grand Italia based on proximity to the train station and previous reviews on tripadvisor.

As to location, the hotel is a scant 100 meters from the front entrance to the Padua train station. Yes, the area directly around the station is a little sketchy, but the hotel is very well marked and easy to walk to from the station.

Our overall experience was very good. We were greeted professionally and courteously. The front desk staff was very helpful with information about local restaurants, how to use local transportation, how to get to landmarks, etc. Our room was very clean and nicely appointed. It was very consistent with our expectation for a four star hotel. We were in a "superior" room, and it had the largest bathroom that we have ever had in a European hotel.

Breakfast was included in our room rate. The breakfast room was large, well appointed and had very adequate seating. The breakfast itself was very diverse and very high quality.

Our overall experience was a very positive one, and we would recommend this hotel to any traveler.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FranK O'Phile
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed here for a week, using it as a base to get to Venice, Vicenza, Verona and Lake Garda as the railway station is directly across the road from the hotel. Rooms were clean and quiet. However, the staff need to lift their game. They never smiled or appeared to want to help you. They did not even know what temperature it would be on any given day. My husband had to go down to the lobby each day and scan the Italian newspapers. Worst of all, there were no English television channels (every hotel should have BBC World News in my book) so we felt very removed from what was going on in the world. Despite the great location, there were a lot of young African males hanging around the hotel which made us feel uneasy. Once we got past them, we felt more comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank virginia096
Reviewed 18 June 2011

we drove to this hotel on our way to venice. The hotel is on a street only opened to buses/taxi so it was very difficult to locate and then a problem to unload our luggage. But finally settled, we found the staff friendly and helpful. The room was of good size, and very clean. The major problem is the location, the area is full of beggars and riff raffs. We were at a restaurant and approached by one of the above, wanting to sell us gold. Then as we walked the streets, everyone had their hands out. I did not feel safe in this area. As we were on our way to venice, we wanted one overnight close to it. My suggestion is skip padua and go to marcon, and stay at the hotel antony palace, it is a much nicer hotel by a long shot. It is cheaper and they provide transportation to venice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justustravellers
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Rooms good and modern.
Wi-fi only on lower floors, ethernet otherwise, but no charge.
Station plaza not a place to wander around at night

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GoWgtn
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My review is based on the experience I had with the front desk staff and the room I got on the mezzanine level. I arrived pretty late in the evening. The receptionist was originally polite, but was categorical that he would not allow me to check out at 12:15 pm.

Then I saw my room - it was on the mezzanine level, which meant that the room had very low ceilings, it was tiny, and overlooked an alley with garbage cans. Worst of all, it reeked of stale cigarette smoke. I went down and explained that from the outset in making the reservation I had asked for a non-smoking room. The receptionist told me that they had no such thing as a "non-smoking" room. So, I asked to be given another room. He assigned the room, or should I say "cave," next to my original room. This reeked a little less. The bathroom, though it only had a shower, was not bad.

It is evident that the hotel was grand at one point. It is noteworthy that their breakfast room was rather grand, and the breakfast offering was very nice. Also, the location is literally across from the train station, and is a 5-minute walk from the city center.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo