“Best avoided”

Chieccos
Ranked #50 of 118 Restaurants in Courmayeur
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a resraurant on the mountain in the Courmayeur ski resort
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

OK food but incompetent, rude, bordering on hostile, service. We were told to expect bad service at some tables...

1  Thank Jedediah C

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is in a great position and the food is good- but the owner acts in a very bossy and pushy way and the service is very pushy in general. For Italian standards the prices are a rip-off. Recommended if you are OK on paying more than is needed.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Yes, we are in Italy so we should expect Italian food this good BUT this restaurant is quite literally situated between a poma lift and the piste. Its classic Italian alpine decor and construction. We sat at a table of 8 which was comprised of a 1 x 4 and 2 x 2 and moving out of your seat once in there is not an easy task. That is all part of the wonderful ambience.
The menu is extensive and wide ranging - at least 10 starters and 10 mains with maybe only 6 desserts. For starters we had scallops and a pate foie gras. The couple sitting next to us had bruschetta and a salmon tartare. All of us were well pleased with what we were served. But when it came to the mains we were all just raving. Pastas for all of us - and I have never tasted better.
Yes, the waiter did go hard at up selling me on the wine (and he was successful at it) but the wine we then drank was simply stunning. We drank local Aosta Valley wine it cost Euro68 and the total bill with water, 1 dessert (strudel) and 2 coffees was Euro158. I just wish that every time I sat down to eat I let the table so happy with how I had spent my time.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We recently had a very enjoyable and delicious dinner at Chiecco but I would caution diners about the rather pushy approach to selling expensive wine. When we asked for a magnum of chianti Classico we were firmly told that it was sold out and then pointed in the direction of a bottle which was twice the price! Needless to say, we didn't fall for it but it did leave a slightly odd taste in our mouths.

That said, the food was absolutely delicious and there is a fun alpine atmosphere. Worth a visit but don't be sucked in by the hard sell.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Slope-side chaos and excellent pasta. Yes, there is a pecking order to the service, locals, guides and regulars get better service. Compared to Chamonix's on mountain offerings you get terrific tagliatelle, lovely lardo and delectable desserts at half the price. Is it perfect, no. Do I love the place. Yes.