All reviews personal trainer english speakers min walk angelika health milan treatment mountains pools spa
Reviewed 11 July 2016

Villa Eden is such a lovely beautiful place. It is well maintained, super beautiful and very relaxing. It is not really in countryside but this is a plus I would say as you are 10 to 15 min walk from the centre of the town and still when you are at Villa Eden it is very quite, calm and relaxing. The hosts are really really nice. Everyone at the Villa Eden team will make you feel super welcomed. Mrs Angelika Schmid is a very nice and lovely lady who makes you feel very comfortable. We had an absolutely lovely anniversary weekend. They made it extra special for us.

The location was perfect. Rooms are very spacious and the terrace is lovely where you can enjoy breakfast and other meals outside. We also enjoyed the food and esp the breakfast.

The outdoor pool is very calm and has great views of mountains. When you are there, you should also visit Castle Rametz which belongs to the same family. It is 5 min by car up the hill.

I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Benie M
Reviewed 27 June 2016

I have been thinking for a while about making an extended visit to Villa Eden and so have corresponded with the staff and stopped there for lunch and a tour this week. It is a gorgeous,peaceful hotel and the rooms are nice --many have views and the suites are newly remodeled--and the public areas and outdoor seating and garden are all comfortable and pretty. We found the staff to be helpful, the hotel was impeccably clean and the setting very attractive. We walked around the town and found there was lots to see and places to go hiking and look at gardens and castles. All in all, there are many reasons why we would like to return to Villa Eden.

However, we found two things that were not apparent from the hotel website or from the materials sent to us by the staff: First, the hotel garden is small and the hotel is in Merano, not downtown but certainly in town. There is nothing wrong with that but we didn't realize that a morning walk would not be on the hotel grounds but around the neighborhood. It's pretty and there are trees and small parks but please don't imagine that Villa Eden is in the countryside. This part of Italy is densely inhabited so staying here would not be like going into the Adirondacks or Wyoming for a rural getaway. It's easy to walk into town or drive and then park in one of the big public lots.

Second: we had seen sample menus and all had included fish. We decided to order the lunch that would be served to someone on the 1200 calorie a day menu plan and were very surprised that the main course was potato chopped up and cooked a bit with bell peppers. (Lunch and dinner eg full board is 70 euros a day per person on top of the room rate). We knew from Trip Advisor that the food is shockingly bland. We don't cook with salt at home but we do enjoy fresh herbs and pepper so this was particularly flavorless..

The owner was doing the rounds and stopped to talk with us so we asked how often they serve meat/fish/chicken and she said 2-3 times a week. She gave us a talk about the importance of low glycemic load veggies and explained her philosophy of nutrition. When we said we tend to eat more fish and chicken and avoid starches she said that her American and British guests often ask for more protein. She said they could adapt the menu for us. But it was clear that she has strong ideas about what consists good nutrition and healthy weight loss and that the Villa Eden has been following this philosophy for a long time. I wanted to make it clear as I had studied the website and publicity materials closely and really hadn't figured it out until we got there.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newyorkanya
Reviewed 24 May 2016

Great hotel for relaxation and recreation. Perfectly balanced nutrition. Beautiful area lots of singing birds. I got a real pleasure Very helpful staff. 95% of customers repeat customers coming back again and again. Very nice center of the city.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2015

Have just returned from a week at Villa Eden. It was a really lovely week - you feel relaxed within hours of arrival and as soon as you look out on to the gorgeous mountain views. The place is very chilled and very unpretentious. When I arrived I thought it was all a bit kitsch but actually that's part of its charm. I had specifically wanted to go somewhere relaxed yet not necessarily uber modern but still with good options for exercise and spa treatments. This was that place. It wasn't busy at all which was actually quite nice. I don't think they are used to having many English speaking guests though - so not many of the staff (or guests!) spoke English. In part, I liked that as I was left alone with my thoughts - but at other times it was disappointing - say for example before or during treatments when you might want to discuss things with the therapist / ask more about what the treatment involved – and you couldn’t - or for example after a reflexology session when I would usually expect feedback on what, if anything, was picked up from that treatment - the therapist couldn't say much. Generally the treatments were lovely though and I didn’t regret forking out the extra money to experience the body clay treatment which they are famous for. It was great and a very unusual treatment. Would recommend.

I had a gorgeous room (with a great bathroom) and a lovely big balcony which seemed to get the sun all day which meant rather than sit by the (unheated) outdoor pool – I could relax and sunbathe on my balcony which was a treat! The morning walks I loved - a great way to start the day even at 7am and power walking past apple trees and vineyards, all against the gorgeous backdrop of mountains, was also a great way to clear your head. The personal trainer, Mirco, who has been working there for over 10 years (and did speak good English) was really superb and very knowledgeable. The morning walks with him were so enjoyable, the group classes great and the two personal training sessions I had with him were incredibly helpful.
There were only two exercise classes a day - one mid afternoon and one early evening. I think they could have offered one class late morning to break up the day more.

I was on the 1000 calorie a day menu plan and my main gripe with Villa Eden was that the food was very bland and just terribly boring. It made meal times a bit irritating because portions were tiny and other than some of the fish dishes and the salad bar at lunchtimes, most of the food, despite being nicely presented, was just totally tasteless. Breakfast was exactly the same every day too! Generally meals quickly became like Groundhog Day because each dish seemed same same just with a different name! There's no reason for this. Other spas I have been to offered a low calorie menu option but the food always tasted great and was always really inspiring - so to not have that same feeling here surprised me. By day 4 I was escaping into the town centre for ice cream! Also those on the low calorie menu plan were seated in a completely separate dining area as if we couldn't cope with even seeing the other food on offer. That too was a little strange though the area we sat in was intimate and tables were close together so easy to chat to people (well, to those who spoke English!). I liked that particularly given that they had no sharing table option. I did also find some of the waiters to be a bit aloof and they appeared to quite enjoy our reaction to the continual bland food that they were serving up!

The offer of a daily afternoon excursion was a nice touch. I only went on one but it was a great trip to Merano 2000 - taking a cable car up the mountain and then having a gorgeous and scenic walk back down. I loved that.

So all in all a lovely and relaxing week – and I feel very good after it - but it was a little boring at times and I did get a bit of cabin fever mid week. At least a quick taxi ride into the town allowed for a change of scene and a chance to wander round the shops - and sneak in some extra calories of course!

Would I go again? I'm not 100% sure. It was a lovely week in a gorgeous setting - and you're guaranteed to rest and relax - but the bland food and lack of English speakers amongst the staff may ultimately put me off another booking. We'll see!

Room Tip: The higher the room - the more likely the view will be even better.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
6  Thank Juliette B
Reviewed 12 August 2015

A lovely villa in a beautiful setting surrounded by snow clad mountains. Yet only a 10 minutes by foot from the center of Merano. The public rooms are very tastefully decorated and give an impression of being in a private house. I took all my meals at the hotel and found both the food and the service excellent. My room was spacious with a balcony and lovely views. Unfortunately I did not have the time to take a lot of the spa treatments but Angelika, the owner, was most helpful in her suggestions and Carmen is a great massage therapist. I have been to a lot of larger spas in Italy but none had the warmth and personal attention given at Villa Eden. As I promised Valentina the friendly & efficient front desk receptionist, I am most definitely coming back.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo