“Great value for money”

Best Western Hotel Luxor
Ranked #19 of 130 Hotels in Turin
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Excellent location especially for access to Porta Nuova train station and on the edge of Turin's main shopping centre. The room was big & comfortable with little traffic noise. Both the service and breakfast were good as you'd expect from a chain hotelier. All for a fraction of the price of some major hotels in this salubrious city.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 December 2011

There are 2 things that bothered me in the hotel. The first one was that the room was too cold to sleep in with only one (provided) blanket. If you stood next to the windows, you could feel cold leaking from the outside. I guess they are old and not tight enough anymore.

The other extreme was the bathroom, which was way too hot to be in for more than 3 minutes and not sweat. It was impossible to turn off the radiator (I haven't figured out whether it was broken or they remove the button on purpose). I left the bathroom door open to get some warmth during the night, but it was not enough.

The staff however were very friendly and they provided me with an extra blanket.

It was quite difficult to have a shower in my bathroom; the space is tiny and it was only a shower out of the wall with no cable. The stream of water was not strong.

Despite those things it was a pleasant stay. Breakfast was fine, staff were friendly, free wi-fi worked perfectly in my room (second floor).

For those of you who are coming by car, there is a reserved parking area infront of the hotel (2 or 3 car places or 1 bus) so you can load or unload your luggage, but the hotel also offers a garage for 16 eur/day (in one of the side streets, behind the corner).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2011

No problems with the staff who were very helpful most of the time, and were never less than pleasant. One female receptionist was particularly pleasant and was happy to provide restaurant recommendations etc. The location is fine, near the main railway station and no unsafe areas nearby. The breakfast was fine in my opinion, I have had a lot worse in my time travelling, not an issue.
The room was fairly comfortable but was not as modern as I expected. The only real issue I had with the hotel was that the walls seemed extreamly thin and I could hear the guests in adjacent rooms all too clearly. One of the rooms had quite noisy guests, which kept me awaken for a while. Also I opted to take the stairs instead of the lift on a couple of occasions, and they were filthy.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank Mark O
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed here in October 2010 and thought that the hotel was reasonably good and conveniently and centrally located. Accordingly we were happy to book to stay for 3 nights when we visited Turin in September 2011.
On this occasion we were allocated room 701 (a non-smoking room) which was a large room containing a double and a single bed (with a half wall in between) with a very large bathroom. The best part, however was the large balcony which faced the front of the hotel and gave us great views over Turin.

Whilst the room was clean and comfortable I thought that the furnishings and bathroom were looking a bit dated. On this stay the airconditioning worked but when left on for an extended period leaked water onto the floor such that we woke on the first morning to find a large puddle of water - thankfully timber floors. This happened on each of the other two nights.

Room had a safe and whilst the hotel had free wifi it did not work on the 7th floor. We were offerred an ethernet cable but unfortunately did not have the right connections for our IPad. Wifi worked fine in the lounge next to reception.
Staff were friendly and helpful. No issues with check-in or check-out and were able to leave our bags in a safe area after checking out on our last day before collecting them for the trip to the airport.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the so-called buffet breakfast. This is a very ordinary affair and has not improved since our last visit notwithstanding several adverse comments from other reveiwers. Two types of cereal, some yoghurt, two different types of croissants, one type of cheese (together with some small wrapped offerings that would have bounced if dropped), one type of cheap meat and orange juice made from a syrup. The hot dishes were very diluted scrambled eggs and small frankfurts. Coffee was also ordinary. Plenty of room for improvement here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Before choosing this hotel I went through all the reviews on this web site and more and I was quite optimistic. But once I got there, I changed my mind:

The hotel is not modern at all. It leaves the impression of an old, old-fashioned place.

The main reason why I did not like this was the cleanliness of the room. I took a non-smoking room. It did not smell of smoke, but gave you the impression that it is not clean. I've been to many hotels and always found a nice, shinning bathroom. In Hotel Luxor the room and the toilet were old and not properly clean. Hair was under the sink from previous guests. The bathtub was very old and had all these tubes for whirlpool. It did not look safe to use. I did not feel comfortable and cozy in this room. It gave me the impression I don't have to touch this and that because it was not properly clean. The wardrobe had finger marks on it, the curtains were very dusty.

No wireless Internet, so I had to use a cable and not be able to move with my laptop.

Breakfast was nothing exciting, but not bad: some omelette, cold sausage, ham or salami, one type of cheese, fruit, croissants, yogurt. I am used to a nice and rich variety of products for breakfast. It was not the case, but you could definitely eat OK.

Staff was nice. Location OK, near the Porta Nuova Train Station.

Overall, I would not recommend this hote. Instead choose the Best Western Hotel Genova, also a 3 start hotel, situated 2 mins from this one. I had a conference there and the hotel looked much much better.

Room Tip: choose the Best Western Hotel Genova instead.