Review Highlights
Relaxing Town and Area

Every turn around the main square (Galimberti) brings an interesting building or quiet cafe. The... read more

Reviewed 7 May 2018
Antony T
Tamworth, United Kingdom
a discovery

Not far fron our town , where we live, it has been a discovery to get a trip there , where we... read more

Reviewed 13 October 2017
pinta92
Genoa, Italy

All reviews old city the main square roads drop dinner restaurants alps shops gem evening town end
Reviewed 17 December 2016

The historic centre of Cuneo is a long pedestrian street lined with old flats over colonnaded shops. Most of the flats have been restored recently, and are in good condition, with attractive mural work and painting. Spend some time in the cafes and enjoy the evening atmosphere. Explore the side streets to find amazing restaurants and old churches. The street runs east-west, so can be harsh in the noon sun.

Reviewed 3 November 2016

We came to Cuneo from Ventimiglia, because we heard of the famous Tuesday market in the center of town. The drive up and over the Maritime Alps through the Tende pass was an experience all its own, but the reward ended up being this massive market. It is spread all over the Centro Storico - in the central square, under the galleria arches that line it, and down the pedestrian shopping promenade. Cuneo itself is quite a pleasant and grand surprise: Beautiful old buildings line the square, and run up and down many side streets. A lot of civic pride on display here, as the buildings are well kept and clean. (Even though the city itself is 800+ years old.) The shops here are mostly unique, one-of-a-kind boutiques with interesting selections (there is a Zara now). For those looking for Cuneo's famous brand of cakes, candies and cookies, there is no shortage of sweet shops along the perimeter. The central plaza reminds many of Turin, and I would add, with a splash of Venice's St. Mark's square thrown in. I was not expecting such a grand place, on the southern plains of Piemonte.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

The small town of Cuneo is a small copy of the center of Turin, A very large square and two major throughway at either end. On one side there is the "modern" town and on the other the centro storico, framed by a main avenue with arcades and intersected by small streets and alleys with restaurants and small shops. Although it lacks the architecture, the style and the grandeur of Turin, everything is harmonious, clean and pleasant.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

Charming city centre of little town that looks pretty nice and clean. Unlike other small towns looks very elegant.You need about 1h to make a slow tour.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

When I was in language school a few years back, someone decided to list the ugliest towns in Italy. Among them were Venezia Mestre and Cuneo. Mestre may be an industrial town, and not as interesting as its glamorus neighbor, Venice, but I am not sure why anyone would put Cuneo on that list. I was going there to attend a friend's concert in nearby Fontanelle di Bovis, and figured I would stay for a couple of days and explore. I wish I had stayed longer. It has an enchanting historic center, and a window shopper's paradise.

The Piazza Grande (Piazza Galimberti) is truly amazing and reminds me of the beautiful piazze in Torino. It would be nice to have more seating, but there are benches around the center statue. It is between Corso Nizza with shops and restaurants, and beautiful Via Roma with so many very good bars and restaurants, I couldn't even begin to try all of them in the two days I was there. The aperitivi are amazing, and for me one evening I substituted two different ones for dinner. There are plenty of benches and wonderful informational signs outside various buildings that give you a self guided history of the city center.

The other benefit for me was the lack of English speakers. I only heard Italian and French (a second language in Piemonte. A shop keeper told me that the dialect there is very much French based). I heard a bit of German and Dutch, but for two wonderful days, I was able to speak only Italian. For an American living in Lucca where English is everywhere, this was a treat.

Even though it is a 6 hour trip on 3-4 trains from Lucca, I am planning on going back again soon. I would also like to see it in the winter. I have been told that Alba is also lovely, and I already like Asti, so I think a week or two in lovely Piemonte will soon be on my calendar.

1  Thank schafferde