“Best restaurant in Asti”

Il Cavolo a Merenda
Ranked #10 of 338 Restaurants in Asti
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 69
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2017

An amazing locals' restaurant with absolutely delicious meals made with locally-sourced products and of course... with love! Suburb Italian wines. Family-feel. Beautiful outdoor dining in the summer time. Would not hesitate to recommend to absolutely anyone, Italian or English-speaking! One of my favourite places in Italy.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I have been familiar with Asti and its culinary scene for a couple of years already, and still had to discover Il Cavolo a Merenda. Shame on me.
My wife and I spent a lovely summer evening on the cozy streetside terrace and enjoyed a delightful 3 course meal.
Il Cavolo a Merenda has a variety of local Piemontese dishes and some more from around Italy. I enjoyed my antipasto with squid and totally loved my primo piatto with vongole and botarga.
The service was a bit chaotic at times but the quality of the food and the general atmosphere made up for it. Loved it and will certainly go back.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

We love quirky restaurants with a local feel, and were fully prepared to love this one too.

But when all the ambience and backslapping is aimed at local regulars, and no one seems to have the time to take your order, bring you fresh bread, some salt for the chicken salad or even the bill, you are left feeling as a second rate customer.

Suddenly quirky equals BAD. Bad service and ordinary food - not an experience we wish repeat.

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our visit here enormously. Very good and very interesting food at reasonable prices. Helpful waiting staff, very welcoming. I particularly liked that there was no wine list--rather I could go and choose the one I wanted, and each had its price attached. Highly recommended.

1  Thank NStrudwick
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

Whe worst restaurant in Asti! Hostess in restaurant was so rude! We waiting 20 min , when she can take the order, but she was standing near, doing nothing, and makes view that we not exist! And when we asked, "could you please take our order?"-she respond that she is very busy and don't have time to serve us. We left restaurant immediately!