Il Cavolo a Merenda
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 September 2017

I have been familiar with Asti and its culinary scene for a couple of years already, and still had to discover Il Cavolo a Merenda. Shame on me.
My wife and I spent a lovely summer evening on the cozy streetside terrace and enjoyed a delightful 3 course meal.
Il Cavolo a Merenda has a variety of local Piemontese dishes and some more from around Italy. I enjoyed my antipasto with squid and totally loved my primo piatto with vongole and botarga.
The service was a bit chaotic at times but the quality of the food and the general atmosphere made up for it. Loved it and will certainly go back.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

We love quirky restaurants with a local feel, and were fully prepared to love this one too.

But when all the ambience and backslapping is aimed at local regulars, and no one seems to have the time to take your order, bring you fresh bread, some salt for the chicken salad or even the bill, you are left feeling as a second rate customer.

Suddenly quirky equals BAD. Bad service and ordinary food - not an experience we wish repeat.

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our visit here enormously. Very good and very interesting food at reasonable prices. Helpful waiting staff, very welcoming. I particularly liked that there was no wine list--rather I could go and choose the one I wanted, and each had its price attached. Highly recommended.

1  Thank NStrudwick
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

Whe worst restaurant in Asti! Hostess in restaurant was so rude! We waiting 20 min , when she can take the order, but she was standing near, doing nothing, and makes view that we not exist! And when we asked, "could you please take our order?"-she respond that she is very busy and don't have time to serve us. We left restaurant immediately!

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

It was a pity that I went here on the last night as I would have revisited for sure. The mid week activity was relatively busy and the service was excellent throughout. The owner came to our table explaining the specials of the day which outweighed the content of the menu. I had ravioli with tartufo shavings on top. To finish off I had a beast of a steak. It was simply mouthwatering. The deserts prepared by the owners sister were to die for. € 75 for two people was what we paid and I find that very reasonable for the quality and innovation in their menu.

1  Thank Mark W