“Wonderful apple pie for a special event!”

California Bakery (Garibaldi)
Ranked #4,750 of 9,207 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Brera
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I was visiting Milan for my brother’s birthday. At home, his traditional birthday dessert is apple pie, not birthday cake. When I saw California Bakery listed here, in Trip Advisor, I went in for breakfast and to ask about getting an entire pie. I went to the one on Garibaldi.
Breakfast was very good: egg, bacon, and pancakes. So if you want an American-style breakfast while in the city, I would recommend coming here.
However, I have to save my highest praise for Christian and their apple pie. My Italian is minimal to non-existent, I’m afraid, so I couldn’t explain what I wanted to most of the staff, but Christian has spent a lot of time in the U.S. and has perfect English. He took care of everything and a few days later (they need a little advanced notice) I had a beautiful apple pie to take home. It was really sweet that on my return visit all of the staff in the store knew and cared about my special event. And the pie was beautiful: the crust was covered with large sugar crystals and domed so high that my brother said he felt like the 4 and 20 blackbirds were going to fly out when he cut into it. Inside it was full of big juicy apple pieces.
He loved it! And was very excited to have this birthday surprise. My thanks to Christian and all the staff at the Garibaldi store for helping make this surprise happen!

Reviewed 21 October 2017

This cafe is expensive and is in a busy, bustling street in Brera district of Milan. Plenty of seating inside and a few tables outside (but watch out for pigeons swooping down).

Welcoming, efficient staff and a large choice of freshly prepared foods. Great for coffee, lunch or afternoon tea and cake. I had chef's salad of the day - a simple but fragrant pilaff with spiced rice, smoked salmon pieces, pecans and avocado. It was delicious.

The water put on your table is chilled and has fresh mint leaves in and is very refreshing. Impressed by the serving of different breads you receive before your main - a lovely mix of toasted italian bread and fruit bread slices to feast on.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

I made the sorry mistake of coming here on a Sunday for brunch with 5 of my friends. When we arrived, we stood in the doorway for 5 minutes, waiting to be greeted. After we were finally able to get the precious attention of the waitress, she informed us it would be a 30 minute wait. After waiting for about 15 minutes, a table opened up and we were able to sit. After being seated, we waited for another 20 minutes before receiving menus. Once we were finally given menus we were shocked at the obscene brunch prices. Everything was over 18 euros. The "California Club" sandwich was 21 euros and the Burger was 26. We were then informed that it was a more expensive menu because it included water, orange juice, bread and coffee. While looking at the menu, they brought us the "bread" plate we were promised which consisted of three thin slices of day old bread, soggy "bagel chips", and three celery sticks. This was supposed to be shared by all six of us. They also bought us one jug of water and one of orange juice to be split by all of us. When we asked if we could have more bread, we were told no. This was very misleading because there were multiple tables around us with more than one bread basket. We came to the conclusion that because we were Americans, they did not give us the same service as other tables around us. When the food finally came, we were extremely disappointed. At this price point, we expected quality, authentic American food, but were met with subpar food. The omelette was burnt, bagel was stale, and the eggs were overcooked. Part of the "brunch special" was an included side. I chose onion rings and was extremely disappointed to only find 4 on my plate. This restaurant is NOT worth the high prices and they should seriously consider working on their service. I will never come back here again.

CaliforniaBakery, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at California Bakery (Garibaldi), responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear Customer,

we are really sorry for your unpleasant experience.
We welcome everyday several guests from every part of the world and they are usually satisfied with our service and food.
For sure we will share your feed-back with our colleagues in store in order to improve our service.
We aim to guarantee the same level of quality in every store and we prepare everyday our dishes with the finest ingredients in order to give a lovely experience to our guests.

Best Regards,
Team California Bakery

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

They took an eternity to take our order after seating us at a dirty table, when they finally took our order we had to correct them several times (hard work). When our items were finally brought over the milkshake was unceremoniously poured over me by a clumsy waiter, to make it worse they were very unhelpful when trying to clean it up! Further more they brought the wrong food out, bringing a chicken and avocado sandwich instead of egg and avocado bagel! We ordered 3 fries and only 2 appeared even after saying they had forgotten 1 they still didn't bring one over! The food that arrived was tasty but was grossly over priced.

As they cleared up, pots were smashed over the floor, now waiting another life time for the bill but they were cleaning up for a few minutes before.

After waiting 30mins for the bill while glasses where smashed around us the fries that never appeared were on the bill aswell as the milkshake and orange juice we ! Even after speaking to them no discount was added for a mistakes!

Absolutely appalling service and came out even more hungry than when I went in!

CaliforniaBakery, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at California Bakery (Garibaldi), responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Dear Customer,

we are very sorry for your unpleasant experience.
We take in consideration every feed-back from our guests and for sure we will talk with our colleagues in the store in order to understand what exactly happened.
Everyday we welcome several customers and they usually appreciate our service and food.
We hope to see you soon again in order to share a new nice experience.

Kinds Regards,

California Bakery's Team

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Really nice pancakes with ricotta and citrus.

I didn’t realise that when you order a hot chocolate in Italy you basically get a cup of melted chocolate. I’m quite fussy about hot chocolate (the way coffee snobs are with their coffee). Usually, everywhere else in the world, I struggle to get a proper hot chocolate because all I seem to get is lukewarm sugary milk, sometimes with a hint of chocolate, and I usually wish there would be some proper chocolate in there. In Italy, it was basically the opposite: all I got was chocolate and it was difficult to drink and too much even for me. (I tend to eat chocolate bars that consist of 100% cocoa, but I couldn’t handle the ”hot chocolates” in Italy.)

My partner had the bagel with chicken salad. He said it was ok but ut didn’t taste much. His foamy choco coffee was average.

The best thing about California Bakery, besides the lovely pancakes, was the lovely staff and service.