Review of Da Giacomo

Da Giacomo
Ranked #706 of 8,152 Restaurants in Milan
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

We were recommended this restaurant by a local and it really lived to the expectations. It seems that the Giacomo brand has many restaurants and I think that the pictures on the tripadvisor site are from a sister restaurant. Food was just fantastic. Light and good. We had the Tuna Carpaccio as an appetizer. The quality was amazing! Nothing compared to the states! Then my wife had a grilled branzino that was delicious and I had a white fish with a great tomato and olives sauce..... But the best was the dessert. I can say that today I did have the best dessert ever. it is called La bomba! Wow! We are going tomorrow to a sister restaurant and I just made sure they had that same dessert and they do! I'll be thinking on that all day long! Enjoy!

1 Thank Shishito
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
“A Great Recommendation”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Knowing I was visiting Milan for a very short trip a business colleague suggested I try this restaurant which is one of his favourites, it was a great tip and I have since thanked him. A word of warning there are several Giacomo named establishments in Milan so make sure you have the correct address also it is pronounced Jack Como not Geea Como which nobody understood.
The restaurant is in a delightful old part of Milan and if you are driving you'll be pleased to find valet parking not such a usual service here.
Decor is delightful, "conceived and designed by architects Renzo Mongiardino and Roberto Peregalli in an evocative setting that recalls the old Milanese trattorias of the early Nineteen hundreds. Reseda green-painted ornate wooden panelling surmounted by embossed wallpaper, stucco details, arches and patterned graniglia floors make for a unique atmosphere that transports customers back in time" I could not have expressed it better myself.

First surprise is a complimentary slice of pizza but this pizza is in a class of it's own and we all enjoyed it very much. The menu is extensive and the seafood outstanding particularly the sea bream and the turbot and the way my starter of baby octopus was prepared is something to remember.
Just when you think you've seen it all they wheel in the biggest dessert cart you can imagine laden with the most tempting range of desserts and confections which just cannot be resisted.

An excellent local Chardonnay which was a bit pricey completed the meal but this was no time to be cheap, my advice splash out and enjoy.

On our departure I mentioned that we had only just arrived in Milan and we had no milk in our apartment whereupon the owner dispatched a waiter to the kitchen and presented me with a large carton to take with me, service indeed.

1 Thank Midorosan
belgium
“Expensive”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

quality of a 1 star restaurant, but prices of a 2 star. An enormous amount of dishes on the menu , so no surprise that there is not much of an innovating touch on them.

2 Thank cdbBelgium
los angeles,ca
“Don't heed those bad reviews-”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I find it difficult to sometimes believe that I am eating in the same restaurant as others who have given it a bad review. This was one of the best eating experiences we had on this 2 week trip. My husband and I are lovers of great food and wine. Our grand daughter couldn't care less as long as she has mozzarella and pasta Bolognese. First of all, the service was professional and kind. They made sure our grand daughter was well taken care of. Our amuse bouche,pizza, or should I say close to a meal or course in itself,was divine. I haven't had pizza like that for many,many years-A disclaimer, we live in S.California.The server even brought more when we complimented the deliciousness of the pizza.My husband and I shared a pasta with red mullet and finally a whole John Dory fish, beautifully prepared.We had some light Fruili wine which went with everything.For dessert, we has a meringue filled with strawberry cream and a piece of chocolate cake-so as the server said, we could taste it. Again I have to say this was a great meal from beginning to end.

• Visited June 2012
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Awesome food! Great service! Very chic! Try the bomba for dessert. AMAZING!