“The Pits”

Ranked #319 of 428 Hotels in Milan
In transit...
“The Pits”
Reviewed 10 February 2007

Please avoid this hotel at all costs - no matter how good the rates, there is no possible justification to stay at this hotel. It will simply taint the experience of one of Italy's most accomodating and wonderful cities. I do not want another traveller to have to experience the filth.
Firstly, I travelled alone, a nineteen year old female. The solely male hotel staff were rude and chauvinistic throughout. The first room I was given was a twin room - they had no singles left, which was unusual, as i had booked one - and i set about unpacking my stuff in the room. I locked up, went out to see the sights, returned to the hotel that night (which, regrettably was in a very seedy area) to find I had been moved to another room - along with all of my belongings. I made the effort not to be slighted by this imposition on my privacy, but the second room - oh my god - it was like some cupboard under the stairs. However, it was a single. It was boiling hot, and no air conditioning, so i had to leave the windows fully open at night - no screens. Now, the place is called Due Giardini (Two Gardens) for a reason - there's a mid-sized colony of mosquitos living in that garden. Any being on the ground floor with my window forcibly open, I enjoyed their company. Being an aussie, I have a pseudo-immunity to mozzies, so it didn't bother me too much. However, it must have bothered the previous guests, whose blood smears were all over the walls. Yes, dirty old blood smears and insect legs. Nasty.
The next day i made a concerted effort to stay outside as long as possible, but as i was leaving early the next morning, I decided to get to bed early, but to settle my payment before bedtime. At the bar/reception, about 50cm from my room, I was spoken to like a child and told rudely by the owner that my internet booking was not valid - he had never heard of the company, but funilly enough he had my booking - and that he never received the deposit i had payed online, so i was hit up for an extra 20euros. After appealing to his beter nature - which didn't work - I produced the internet receipts and paperwork, booking refs etc, and he continued to ignore this. Quite stressed, as I was rather poor and needed the money to get by the next day, he yelled at me some more, and finally, as a result of being abandonned in a foreign country (that's another story), alone, 24000miles from home, and being ganged up on by three middleaged male hotel staff, I burst into tears, paid up and barrocaded myself into my room. I spent the rest of the night trying to sleep, but had to put the TV on and turn it up so i didn't have to liksten to the staff talking loudly and crassly about their sordid sexual conquests until 3am in the morning.
Hands down, without a doubt, the worst tourism experience of my life. If this has not convinced you to steer clear, I don't know what will.

Stayed July 2006
5 Thank pussinboots4
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Hungarian first
Italy
Reviewed 5 October 2006

Dirty bathroom, very inflexible management.

When I wished to cancel early in the evening due to problems with the train they wanted to cancel the reservation but also charge us full price for the night.

Also we stayed on the 3rd floor but could not find a lift/elavator so its not suitable if you have heavy luggage.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Rory82

Travellers are raving about these Milan hotels