“Good brunch. Better than expected (after reading the reviews)”
Review of God Save the Food

God Save the Food
Ranked #3,300 of 9,251 Restaurants in Milan
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 28
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navigli
Description: Una spaziosa ex officina ospita il primo dei locali ad insegna God Save the Food. Il carattere informale del locale, caratterizzato da ambienti luminosi e arredo minimalista, si sposa perfettamente al menù internazionale, come i club sandwich e le wok da abbinare ai centrifugati di frutta e verdura oppure verso sera ai cocktail God Save The Food. Il luogo perfetto per una pausa rigenerante durante gli innumerevoli eventi di moda, design e cultura che Tortona offre tutto l'anno.
Reviewed 15 June 2016

For me, TripAdvisor it´s not just a recipient for my reviews or experiences in restaurants, hoteles or tours in the places I visit. For me TripAdvisor is also a source of information, that´s the whole point of it, right?
Brunch is serious business. I learned it while growing up in SoCal and having brunch every weekend with my family while little and with my friends and boyfriend after becoming a more independent teenager (probably since I was 17 or 18). California takes this very specific meal of the week very serious; restaurants have all sorts of options and when going for brunch at a hotel, champagne pours like a nonstop fountain, usually mixed with just made OJ.
One of the first very big ones I went to was at a hotel´s restaurant by the Bay in Downtown San Diego; it was a very special one for mother´s day. I was 10 or 11. First time my eyes saw that much food together and in those excessive amounts.
My love for buffets is public domain. I don't love them at night though, but for brunch I absolutely adore them! I think, they are the best option, that way one has the choice of having whatever at any amount, or not, like me, I don´t like hams and sausages and bacons and all sort of stuff, so, I never get it, it never touches my plate.
So, this past weekend, I was in charge of choosing and booking in a place for brunch in Milano.
I browsed on TripAdvisor and looked for the best buffet brunch in town and got a pretty good idea of which one I would go to, although, in my super generous and fair nature, I gave my friends and partner the option of choosing which one they would like to go.
After a few hours, one of them replied and said one of them would be great, although there was a lot of processed meet involved, but that he had no problem with it (I did, also his girlfriend), although, he mentioned God Save the Food was a good option.
I looked for GSTF and although the reviews were mixed and more average than anything, I had a hunch and decided to book there. No buffet, just a menu an honest hunger from us on Sunday.
We got there and the place doesn't disappoint at all. Very clean lines and an awesome restoration work in an old building, but the place looks pretty on point; a very respectful but also smart work of remodelling, kudos for that.
We were immediately seated and handed menus. The waitress was nice but a little in a hurry, she feels very speedy, so when we were asked if were ready, after just being seated, we asked for five more minutes.
I told a friend I was supposed to meet up with in Milan, but that had to go to Zurich for work, that I was going to GSTF for brunch and she suggested I should order eggs and followed her advice, she really know the best sides of Milan. I did good for doing it. My eggs florentine were to die for.
We decided to have guacamole and hummus as starters. We got them, finished them and waited for like 10 minutes. The waitress arrived to pick up the plates and said we should had called her to let her know we were done with our starters. What? That´s your job honey. I was a waiter and always paid attention to what was going on in my tables, my job was to be ready for whatever my diners would need and probably predict their needs, like water on glasses and more coffee. So, big "no no" there. We all thought, "no, we call you because we are hungry and you´re taking forever.
On top of that, the tables next to us, although some arrived and ordered after us, got their food WAY before us and we certainly didn't like that, especially because we were very hungry, big time starving.
When we (finally) got our mains, we got to it and we all were loving it, my Eggs Florentine were very close to perfection, the only suggestion was that they were too watery.
One of the friends I went with is a chef and she noticed that the eggs weren't put on a strainer after taken out of the boiling water, and that is why there was so much water in our eggs. So, they just need to but a proper poached eggs strainer and they have A+ for the Eggs, but so far is A- in that dish in particular.
My partner ordered a bacon cheeseburger and honestly, it looked epic. The friend seating next too me ordered an avocado salad and loved it as well, I didn't try it but OMG, that looked tasty.
Did I mention that I ordered a side of pancakes? I did and Gosh they were good, so good, so perfectly spongy and moist, then I literally drowned them in Maple Syrup and obviously I have been in a very strict detox since then. But they were worth the excess.
And last but not least, dessert. I know, it may sound a little too excessive but well, I am excessive, that´s how I am and it´s OK. We had two brownies and a piece of carrot cake. The first ones were unbelievable and the second one was very good; please order brownies, they have a ton of pecans and they are crunchier because of it. So yummy.
In the end, it was a great restaurant food wise, service wise very kind people trying to do their best job possible, but definitely with a lot of points of improvement in that matter. Location was also good, the charming space it´just perfect; even though it was full it never felt cramped or claustrophobic.
Go here and enjoy the food, just don´t expect the best service whatsoever. Enjoy the space as well. This one is a pretty solid "very Good" restaurant, nothing less, nothing more.

1  Thank Alvin I

Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

If you are in a country like Italy you definitely have to try real Italian food. At God save the food you find a good food but nothing special save for the pizza that is good

Reviewed 1 June 2016

Dropped in for a pre-dinner drink on a recent trip to Milan. We were served very mediocre and watered down drinks at an outside table. Upon paying for our drinks we discovered that our credit card had been charged 16 Euro for two drinks! My husband and I were aghast and questioned the cost of the drinks at which point we were told that the price we were charged included a buffet set out on the bar inside the restaurant. Our waiter never mentioned any buffet when serving us nor were we offered any snacks to accompany our drinks at any point during the 40 minutes that we were sitting outside. The staff refused to correct the charge and behaved in a most arrogant and rude manner - not a place to be recommended.

Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

Been here for the first time for an aperitivo and was nicely surprised; wide range of food available, prices reasonable (for Milan), waitresses nice, cocktails OK.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Noro44
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

Despite the half empty place, the waiter squeezed me between people at a small table. First impression: they're here for the money, and I was right... I ordered a Caesars salad for 12 Euro and a water. The water came after 15 seconds, the salad after 30. Obviously ready made, cold pieces of chicken, a chunk a of anchovi paste on top, regular lettuce and a plastic bowl of mayonnaise next to it. By far the worst ceasar I ever had. When I asked for the bill, it took three waiters with no English until they could explain, that I have to go a cash desk to pay. Altogether I spent about 15 loveless minutes in there. It is quite hard to find really bad food in Italy, but I excelled this time...

Date of visit: May 2016