“OK On The Surface, But Fundamental Flaws”

Best Western Plus Hotel Galles
Ranked #52 of 428 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northampton, United Kingdom
“OK On The Surface, But Fundamental Flaws”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

In order to save my employer some much needed cash, I opted for the cheapest room, which was described as a "single room". In reality the bed would have been big enough for two, but it was the only thing that was. The bathroom was so small, it compared unfavourably with a bathroom I'd had a year or so ago on a major cruise ship. I couldn't use the shower without banging elbows, knees or other parts of my anatomy and in virtually every shower I had I ended up turning the water off by mistake at least once.

Other fundamental problems - poor soundproofing, such as this morning at 05:00 when some delightful fellow guest decided to turn his TV on for 45 minutes. Worse than that, though - this is yet another hotel built over a subway station. Not a distant rumble or a slight vibration here, but a deep, sonorous rumbling which shook the bottles in the minibar and the hangers in the wardrobe.

Other than that, the place was OK - a nice restaurant, friendly staff (particularly Raj in the bar) and an excellent location (see comments re the subway above!) and if I had enjoyed a room built for an only slightly overweight person rather than the cupboard conversion I did book then I would probably have rated it much higher - but I can only review what I experienced against my needs and preferences...

Room Tip: Don't book a single room unless you are very small and flexible or you will struggle to shower...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jorganmeister
sbarretti, Direttore at Best Western Plus Hotel Galles, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Jorganmeister,
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Galles.
I am so sorry that you were disappointed in your recent stay with us and felt the room did not meet your expectations. Each room has been recently renovated for a truly comfortable experience.
We are very happy to hear that our restaurant and staff made quite an impression on you and I will share your comments with the rest of the hotel team.
We really thank you for your feedback as it help us improving the service we deliver and we look forward to winning you back for the future!
Kind Regards
Arnaldo Sbarretti
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Baldwin City, Kansas
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

We loved our stay in Milan. Milan is a big city with lots to do. Our room had a skylight in our restroom which added to the ambiance of the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The rooftop restaurant had a great view of Milan and served a fantastic breakfast. The bartender was friendly and courteous and offered great advice on places to visit. He also helped us find the necessary Metro stops we needed for Tavel to our tours.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
sbarretti, Direttore at Best Western Plus Hotel Galles, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Dan,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a delightful review of your recent stay at Hotel Galles. I was really happy to read your very positive feedback about your experiences in the hotel and I really do hope that you can join us again in the near future.
Kind regards,
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

Decent sized, clean rooms in a good location right next to Lima metro station. Hotel staff friendly & helpful. Good wi-fi access in rooms. Pool a little disappointing, quite small & shallow. "Turkish bath" is a relaxing area that is open to the only walkway between the liifts & gym/pool/sauna, not overly relaxing! Gym well equipped though.

• Stayed August 2012
sbarretti, Direttore at Best Western Plus Hotel Galles, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Pippipip,
Thank you very much for your nice review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Galles. We are very glad to know that you liked rooms and location of the hotel and the friendliness of our staff too. We are sorry to hear that the Fitness& SPA area did not meet your expectation as we wanted to create a truly relaxation corner for our guests.
We really hope to hosting you again very soon.
Kind Regards
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Just got back after staying here Mon - Friday. We are a couple age 40 who went for a few days away on our own. Booked through clever-hotels.com and much cheaper than direct. We flew to milan (Bergamo) with Jet2.com, took 1hr 45 and then just outside airport, caught the Terrorvision Bus(5 Euro) into Milan Central Station. The Hotel is in walking distance. If you go left and pass the main entrance to the central station to the main road, then turn left and follow the street until you get to Burger King on the corner(10-15Mins) Best Western is just over road. We were really pleased with this hotel, it is on the main shopping street with metro Piazza Lima just outside. You can use the underground to see most sites, some i suggest are the Duomo cathedral, Chiesa di San Maurizio Monastero with adjoining archaelogical museum, The Castle and dinner at the cafe in the Giardini di Villa Reale. Anyway, although room was small, they have everything, nice bathroom with complimentary toiletries, clean towels, powerful shower. Beds, two twins pushed together for double which were really comfy, bedding clean fresh white cotton. Room had Flatscreen television with radio, you could purchase films etc but the WIFI was free, just get a code from reception. Air conditioning Unit was a little noisy.Door pass also gets you free access to the ground floor pool with jacuzzi, which was nice after a day in the heat. It also had a Turkish Bath, Sauna, Mood lights and fitness area. Breakfast is on the 6th Floor glass terrace, which had a good range, the usual Med breakfast, meats, cheeses, etc. but also lovely Pancetta Bacon, scrambled eggs and nice tasty little sausages. Everything you could want from fruit, yogurt to chocolate spread, cereal. It was served until 10.30am. Another nice feature was the Rooftop Terrace with table and chairs and sunbeds. You have to walk up the metal stairs from the breakfast room but was no problem for us. We took a few drinks up there and relaxed watching the people of Milan go by after a day out. The beds were changed daily and room cleaned, fresh towels.Pleasant staff and reception. Enjoyed our stay in Milan and enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for room facing street not the inside- can request smoking or non smoking.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank julie t
Leeds
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

this was a good hotel. location, cleanliness, facilities all fab. I would recommend it . we stayed for 3nights and travelled from the uk. booked it on travel republic and it was a bargain.
heres the but... me n my husband celebrating our anniversary requested a suite and smoking room. I rang the hotel (because i did not get any replies from 3 emails i sent them- so dont bother emailing) a few days before we were goin to stay and requested a suite and asked about facilities like bathrobe, slippers etc. I was told i would be allocated a smoking suite (this was also on my booking confirmation). and the hotel will provide bathrobe and slippers to use so i didnt pack mine.
Anyway we get to the hotel - the reception staff gave me a tiny room non smoking and no facilites. I went straight to recption and enquired about my bookin confirmation?? and they said there wasnt a suite available , there was no record of my phone call and they didnt have it on their bookin system. I showed them my docs which stated which room we requested so the reception said they would move us in the morning as nothing was available. oh and they said just smoke on ur balcony.
Morning comes (numerous trip down to reception we change rooms and the one they gave us was the same as what we had (without balcony) so i gave up with them and just told them to give the old room back because id rather hav a balcony.
One more thing was i asked reception for bathrobes 3x and slippers they said they will leave it in room but didnt. we got some slippers but that was it. My gripe is when i rang the hotel i asked if they would provide this coz i didnt pack it in my suitcase and wanted to travel light. the hotel said they would provide it, then the reception said 3x they would leave it in my room. but they didnt and i just stopped asking. why tell me they would provide it then not do it???? false promise.
omg iv written too much... this hotel otherwise was a great experience, and yes definetly 4stars. i would have given it 3stars but the swimming pool, jacuzzi , sauna was excellent to come back to after a busy day in the city.

• Stayed July 2012