See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

I stayed at this place only because there was an expo on and everything was booked. No lock on the door of the rooms with a key so anyone can walk in. The toilet door didn't lock, the toilet didn't flush. I arrived back at 3am and sat on the stairs texting a friend because that was the only place Wifi was good and it was dead quiet. Not a whisper. This guy came and said to me are you staying here. I laughed! This place was not secure and they were time Nazis! I felt like they were my parents. They were rude! This guy outside wanted the wifi password because he was looking for a place to stay so I gave it to him and the guy told me off. This place is not really close to any Wifi areas or a lot more that matter! I mean it was Wifi for goodness sake. Help a friend out why don't you! There is no information on sites to see or anything for that matter! This is great if it is your last option but I am not staying another night and will lose money but I don't care. I would never return or recommend this place. I would give it a 0 on the recommendation but I think the lowest is a 1. So 1 it is.

Stayed: October 2015
Reviewed 30 September 2015

It was quite easy to find, but the neighborhood is not that nice, especially during night. It's kind of tricky that the tax and linen costs are not included in the price, so all of the websites show it as an extremely cheap option but it is not as cheap in the end. Bathroom was not bad for a 12 bed dormitory, however the room itself was really small and beds made a lot of noise. There is no keys for the rooms so If I had some valuable items I might have felt not so safe (I didn't though). Kitchen is convenient but really dirty. You can leave your luggage after you check-out free of charge only until 4pm which was a first for me. In general it was not the worst place I have slept in during my travels, but one of the worst hostels (but at least the WiFi was really good).

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

We didn't except it, since the comments on trip advisor on this hostel are very bad. We read about bugs, booking annulations, unpleasant staff... But we discovered a recently re-painted hostel, very pretty with a lot of colors. The staff cooked us pastas for free and helped us when we lost earings in the tub. Nice surprise !

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbjamet
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for one night and from the start it was fabulous. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Wifi was good. Free DINNER AND WINE The kitchen was brilliant for socialising and the staff were keen to let us know where the best bars were. Close to the metro and lovely clean rooms to come back to. Thanks guys ! It was awesome :)
Disliked: Nothing

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Denisooo
Reviewed 28 July 2015

Hostel California is ok if you look at the rooms, beds, the bathroom(was really clean) and electric. However, it was pointed out that no drinks/snacks are allowed in the room (why? Not that anyone would care but still?) and for some reason they wanted a deposit of over 100 Euro from us, which was not pointed out at any given page regarding the Hostel. We also had to leave our passports there whenever we wanted to leave. All unnecessary restrictions that made us quite uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor. Upstairs the rooms are really heatened up by the sun, at least in the summer.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank lajosr855