“comfortable, but troublesome”
Review of Hostel California

Hostel California
Ranked #229 of 290 Speciality Lodging in Milan
Reviewed 28 July 2015

Hostel California is ok if you look at the rooms, beds, the bathroom(was really clean) and electric. However, it was pointed out that no drinks/snacks are allowed in the room (why? Not that anyone would care but still?) and for some reason they wanted a deposit of over 100 Euro from us, which was not pointed out at any given page regarding the Hostel. We also had to leave our passports there whenever we wanted to leave. All unnecessary restrictions that made us quite uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor. Upstairs the rooms are really heatened up by the sun, at least in...
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank lajosr855

Reviewed 18 July 2015

We reserved a private room a month in advance only to show up and find out they could not find our reservation. We were then told to go wait in the common room while they sorted out the situation. After 2 hours of waiting we went back to the front desk only to find out they forgot we were there and waiting. Only then did they tell us they do not have any private rooms at all and that it was a "mistake" on the website. We agreed to stay in a dorm style room but they refused to reduce to price and proceeded to charge us for a private room anyways.
The staff was rude, the WiFi was horrible and this hostel is just a scam.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stephan R
Reviewed 17 July 2015

This hostel is just okay, but I wouldn't personally stay here again. The hostel is not close to the city centre but there are good transport links nearby. The directions the hostel give you to find it are absolute rubbish, we were lost for about an hour in the boiling heat trying to find it, which was really irritating.

The staff were really friendly, which I was quite surprised about after reading other reviews. They gave us a free city map and pointed out all the best places to go, especially as we were only there for one night. The kitchen and common room were in the attic, which was fine. You are allowed to smoke in them, but nobody was whilst I was there.

There are quite a few downfalls to this hostel though, which is a shame because of the staff and the fact the hostel looks really cool.

1. There simply aren't enough bathrooms for the amount of people staying there. One ensuite bathroom for a 14 person dorm is nowhere near enough.

2. The bathrooms weren't the cleanest and none of them had any toilet roll, but if you ask the staff they'll give you some.

3. There is no lock on the bathroom door. This was a major issue for me. I was the only girl in my 14 bed dorm, and it was full. The men in there were really rude and impatient and kept walking in on eachother in the bathroom without knocking and demanding they get out so they could get a shower. This made me feel really uncomfortable, I didn't want them walking in on me so I had to use a different bathroom downstairs which was nearly always occupied.

4. Uncomfy beds, woke up like I had been stabbed in the back and could barely walk for 2 days. There is no ladders to get up to the top bunk so it's a bit awkward when you have to stand on someone elses bed to get up to your own. There are also no bars on the bunks so I nearly fell out from the top bunk multiple times when I was asleep.

5. When I asked if there were lockers I was told there wasn't but we could use the luggage room. This didn't really suit me because I only wanted to leave a few valuables; passport, train tickets etc. so didnt really want them lying around in a luggage room which everyone has access to. We eventually did find some lockers, but you had to provide your own lock, and even so- the lock was made from cheap plastic, most of which had been snapped off presumably by people trying and succeeding to steal what was inside. Not very promising

6. IT WAS TOO HOT! I have never had a worse nights sleep in my entire life. For a 14 bed dorm filled with sweaty men, three mediocre fans are nowhere near enough. I had a bunk with a fan directly above me and could stiff feel no difference. Barely slept a wink it was so uncomfortable.

Unfortunately wouldn't reccomend.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie R
Reviewed 9 July 2015

First, let me say that I have stayed in a lot of cheap hostels in my life, dirty and noisy ones also, so I have the experience and I am used to bad conditions, but this hostel was the WORSE in my life.

We booked 2 beds in a 3 bed room via booking.com. When we got there, the guy at the reception told us that they didn't have a room like that. He didn't care about our booking (we had it in a printed version and we tried to show it to him), he just told us that they don't have free beds in a room like that so he said that we can sleep in a 12 bed dorm or in another hostel (15 minutes with bus). It was the middle of the night so we chose to sleep in the room with 12 beds. He asked for MORE money (tax etc, strange plus costs...) than in the booking. We stayed in a 12 bed dorm instead of a 3 bed room, so he should have asked for less since a dorm with 12 beds is much more cheaper than a room with 3 beds, but he asked MORE!!!

It was very hot, an old fan was working in the room but its sound was like we were sleaping in a nuclear reactor. The bunk beds are awful, when the person on the upper bed moves a little, the person downstairs feels an earthquake, the whole bed feels like it's gonna fall apart any minute. The room is very crowded, there is no place between the beds.

The bathrooms are dirty and there is only a few of them so they are always occupied.

The staff is extremely unfriendly and unhelpful and they ask for a lot more money than the amount at booking. They are always upstairs in the kitchen drinking beer, so when you are trying to go inside the hostel and ring the bell, they never answer.

The location of the hostel is bad, you have to walk a lot to the bus station, and even more to the subway station, but one positive thing: there is a supermarket close to the hostel.

Long story short: NEVER STAY THERE, it is expensive (not at the booking but when you pay...), dirty, they don't give you the room which you booked and they are rude! You won't get much sleep if you stay here.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

First of all do not try to check in before 14:00, and when you doo, be prepared to wait at least an hour. We waited about one and a half. The room was crouded and dirty but ok, lockers (bring your own lock!) and bathroom was dirty. Rude staff and a public area with some cind of kitchen.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple