“Great views and excellent cuisine”

Ristorante La Vista
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2018

This restaurant is part of the Albergo Milano (separate review) and is on a terrace overlooking Lake Como. The food is excellent and there is a good choice across all courses. Very good service and as a guide a 3 course meal for two with wine etc. costs around 100€. You will have to book though to ensure a place.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

We were warned that most Restuarants with great views didn't have that good of food.
We thought we would take a chance. La Vista confirmed to stay away from Restuarants with a view. The service here was the worst we had in Italy the entire trip. Staff Ignored us most of the time. I had to ask for bread when they brought the entries as they never brought any. Their food was on par with their service. My wife ordered a steak and I had ravioli. The steak was ordered medium rare and was cooked rare. It was raw and cold in the middle with no seasoning. I ate the steak since I like steak tartare. I seasoned it myself and the table with olive oil, salt and pepper. The ravioli was very bland. Avoid La Vista as there are so many wonderful restaurants in Varenna.

Reviewed 28 July 2018

We were in Lake Como for a wedding, and I was responsible for the Groom's Dinner. We were a group of 16, and, coincidentally, the restaurant was closed to the general public on the night of our dinner. They allowed us to reserve the whole restaurant, and it was one of the highlights of everyone's trip to Italy, and will be one of the truly memorable meals of my life. The title is "Eighty stars" because everyone in the group agreed that we should each be able to give it the maximum rating.
Arrangements: Bettina was my main online contact - she was wonderful. Good communication, great guidance on meal and wine planning. Couldn't have been happier with the experience.
Setting: The was the chief reason I chose the restaurant initially - an open area facing the sunset over Lake Como, with an enclosed room behind it in case of weather issues. Because of the threat of rain, we ended up eating inside which was a blessing in disguise. If it had been a clear evening, the outside dining area might have been too bright, and possibly too breezy. As it was, we were able to wander in and out during the meal, and probably enjoyed the outside area even more. The setting is stunning! The pictures on their site are accurate as far as a camera can go - in person it is even more beautiful.
The service - perfect in every way. Attentive, helpful, cheerful and discrete. Wine glasses were always filled, plates cleared, questions answered.
The food - totally blown away. As part of the preparation for the evening, Bettina had me select 2 items from each of the courses to give people a choice at each stage. In addition, she provided some tasting plates for people to try some of the restaurant's monthly specials. Egidio, the chef, created a masterful meal - food everyone still talks about a month later. Fresh food, wonderfully prepared, beautifully presented.
Bettina also made wine pairing suggestions. The bride works in the wine industry here in the US - she thought the choices were brilliant.

This was a special event meal, and so far exceeded my hopes that I hope everyone in the area has an opportunity to visit this restaurant.

Reviewed 24 July 2018

Food is average prices are high. Our bill was even higher but looking closer they charged us for 2 bottles of prosecco instead of 2 glasses. We then had 2 courses a bottle of wine and coffee but also here they charged us wrongly: a menu instead of 2 courses. Our bill went from euro 181 to 131. Ok mistakes can happen but the worst was that the food was quite average and overprized. Correct the view is great but I still think the food should be what you come for and you can find this view elsewhere.

2  Thank CopenhagenGlobe
Reviewed 17 July 2018

This was our fourth visit to the restaurant over a period of about 20 years. It remains a wonderful culinary and atmospheric experience, with wonderful service complemented by the stunning West-facing views over the lake. Even if not staying in Varenna, this is doubtless worth the journey. Truly a gem!

1  Thank BruceFraser