Chose the hotel based on previous trip advisor reviews and very nice photographs on the hotel website. We had 3 rooms for 4 adults & 2 children. 2 of the rooms were sort of interconnected and had sea views. Total stay of 5 nights.
- Excellent location, short 5 minute walk from train station and right there on the ocean
- Clean rooms
- Very nice pool (saltwater) which is pretty much the highlight of the hotel
- All sea facing rooms have huge balconies, in fact terraces that are bigger than the rooms themselves! Great place to kick back and relax with a book. So is the poolside. Rooms 12,11,10,9 seemed to enjoy these balconies.
- Short walk from restaurants & shopping
- Small rooms somewhere around 10 x 12 feet size with even smaller bathrooms - and i'm talking off the suites!
- Rear facing (non sea view) rooms open on to the town's main street which is noisy & busy.
- Antiquated interiors... and while the Italians may think its charming, frankly its bad!
- Aircon just about works, remotes don't and in one of our rooms the hotel staff insisted we keep it at 22 degrees (celsius) even if it was too warm!! What???
- Sheets did not get changed once during our 5 day stay. They came in, reorganized the furniture, took out the trash, put the covers back on and left... towels were regularly changed however.
- TV is functional with a SKY STB. Mostly Italian. Kids wanted English but staff had no idea how to configure the unit for English. Eventually and Italian friend came to the rescue. By the way, movies have to be paid for.
- Disaster breakfast! Expect cold Crossiants, packaged rye, old corn flakes, expired cookies and believe it or not we saw mouldy sliced bread on the buffet! Complaint to the lone ranger waiter who shrugged his shoulders and said "but the packet said its not expired yet".
- Overall, pathetic service, something you get used to in most small Italian hotels - they think they are doing YOU a favour!
- WiFi is available with range only at the reception and is extra $$; hotel website seems misleading.
- Private beach claims are rubbish. The hotel is located next to a popular public beach and there is a small gate from the hotel leading into the same. Besides, the beach is rock, rock and more rocks... no sand to be seen anywhere. (Nice ones on the way to Portofino though Euro 20/head for the day. )
- Fitness equipment is a couple of bicycle machines by the pool side... no center here.
VERDICT : Avoid. This hotel is a complete rip off for the Euro 200/ room night that they charged us. In fact, I wouldn't stay here for any price! There is no old hotel charm, no Italian hospitality, no great food, just expensive rooms with antiquated facilities.
- Also Known As:
- Helios Hotel Santa Margherita Ligure