“Bells of Santa Margherita”
Review of Park Hotel Suisse

Park Hotel Suisse
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Well the curiosity was killing me, reading the reviews posted on this site and I hope this will help clarify the situation.
I would also like to mention that I am a very seasoned world traveller and know Italy very well so I had other hotels and areas in Italy to compare to.
Firstly, the positon of this hotel is outstanding! It is slightly up a hill overlooking the gorgeous town of Santa Margherita and the beautiful bay area.
Every seaview room had lovely balconies with access to a gorgeous large outdoor terrace, a beautiful warm salt water swimming pool and lovely all day and night deck bar/restaurant.
We had lunch at the pool several times, after dinner drinks at the bar most nights, and ate dinner at the hotel restaurant one night. Also, we had room service several times and in every situation, the service was impeccable and the food was very good.

We were fortunate to get a room which had extra beds and were grateful to have the extra space since we stayed at the hotel for 7 nights.

The room bathrooms are updated and wonderful, the room cleaning service was outstanding and the beds are very comfortable. I happen to like a firm bed and had no problem sleeping - well until we heard the church bells.

Oh yes - through no fault of this hotel but the town operation and traditions, I found it amazing and ridiculous that the leaders of the town would allow all of the churches and Basillicas to ring their church bells to the degree they do.
Let me explain - no matter where you stay in Santa Marghuerita the church bells begin ringing at 6:30 a.m.! They ring a full bell on the hour and one bell on the half hour and the best part is at 7:30 a.m. they ring 32 times as they playing the Ave Maria. This recurrs again at 8:30 p.m.
The bells ring on the hour and half hour and several chuches ring them so if you missed the first set you will hear them several times more.
Therefore, if you want to sleep late in the morning or nap during the day or go to bed early - don't count on it as they ring right up until 9:00 p.m.

The inconvenient flaws noted at the hotel are as follows: no refrigerator in the room and no safe. Having stayed in every hotel imaginable throughout Italy this is a first for me to not have either and in my mind unacceptable.

In general we found the people of Santa Margherita to have attitude and that was reflected at times also at the front desk. My guess is that it is a reflection of France being so close by and it is very noticeable compared to the more southern areas of the coast. Overall the hotel was ok and did answer your questions when asked - but not really flowing with friendliness or wanting to speak with their guests in any way.

Lastly, the hotel does cater to bus tour groups coming through and staying for one night.This can be noisy at times as the entire hotel is hardwood floor. Guests were getting up at 6:00 a.m. and walking with their heeled shoes and dragging luggage. Again, between the bells and this noise, we cannot say it was an overly restful holiday.
However, we had a fantastic time exploring around the area and going to Porto Fino.
We did not care for Cinque Terre and feel it is overrated and it takes a long time on the train to get there. It is good for the back packer type of traveller, but personally I much prefer the Amalfi Coast.

Regarding the decor, like many hotels in Italy this was once a very glam place and now tired looking. It is very '60's style and kind of cool.

For the price of the hotel in the area, and the spectacular view I would recommend this hotel and certainly stay again. Bring ear plugs though.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank granddamme

Reviewed 19 September 2009

We were willing to overlook the conrete bed and the dated, tired furinshings throughout for the view from our room which was the only thing good about our stay. The worst was the rude attitude from at least one member of the front desk. We tried to cancel our reservation for the second night . We realized we were passed the deadline for no penaly however inquired courteously as to whether or not there was anyhing they could do. The reply ,and I quote" "The problem is yours, it is not mine". Nice huh? Could this type of rude behaviour ever be tolerated in a 4 star hotel in the US? I think not.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PCTravelerUtah
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I read the other reviews, but we really liked it here. We had a room with a harbor view and nice balcony, and that alone was worth it. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive to customer service. The daily breakfasts were wonderful - stocked with plenty of fresh fruit, ham & Cheese, eggs, buns, breads, etc. The hotel also had a dinner special for 15 euros which included 4 courses and was elegantly prepared and presented. We enjoyed an afternoon relaxing at the pool/bar and the service was excellent there also. There is a short bus trip to Portofino which we took. Excellent views. Easy walk to the marina and shopping areas. We had a car, and the parking was free. We had such a good time, if anything was a bit old, I can't remember it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TakeMeAway44
Reviewed 18 September 2008

We arrived were told that the room had a small problem with the bathroom ceiling! That was nothing, the Air conditioning did not work. The porter tried to fix it by putting the temperature up to 30 degrees C. Some fix! We slept with the doors open as we could not get another room.
The cold water pressure in the shower was abismal. The TV would not get any programs.
The breakfast was extremely poor, the coffee was Nescafe!
The computer was not working. The staff were disinterested in resolving any problem.
The bathroom was dirty
If they were a quarter star hotel it might be too high a rating

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Italyadmirers
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I have decided to spend two days, last we at this hotel, I have booked park hotel suisse with expedia website searching a 4 stars hotel. When we arrived, I have discovered a very old hotel with an horrible lobby. But, surprises were not finished, when we entered the room we saw an unbelievable room styled in the 60s and never maintained since the 70s!!! The hotel was rated as a 4 stars, but in my opinion 1 star is too much!!! After just one night and very early in the morning I left this nightmare for another hotel. For those who has decided to spend a night in this hotel, cancel immediately your reservation and re-book for another hotel, otherwise your stay will be a nightmare!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank frenchMXP