“I got billed besides the fact that I canceled on time!”
Review of Hotel Eden

Hotel Eden
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Boston
“I got billed besides the fact that I canceled on time!”
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!This summer I planned a vacation in Italy that started in Florence and Tuscany and continued through the Cinque Terre area and Portofino. I planned to stay a night in Portofino and found that the only relatively cheap hotel in the town is Hotel Eden- 220 EURO per night. I read the reviews and decided to book it anyway. I made the booking in May for a trip in the end of August. I believe I booked it on May 10-15 and I was planning on staying overnight in Portofino on August 26. I contacted the hotel directly and filled their reservation form with my credit card number. I received a confirmation e-mail and everything seemed to be great. However, a friend of mine recommended staying in Santa Margherita Liguria instead of Portofino because you can find a cheaper hotel with bigger qualities than Hotel Eden and anyway they are so closely located. So I booked a room in Santa Margherita Liguria at Hotel Jolanda (a tri star hotel, that I liked a lot). I immediately canceled the reservation at Hotel Eden (that is still back in May). I received a reply offering me to keep the reservation but pay 160EURO instead of the initial 220 EURO. I still decided to go on and cancel the reservation because the hotel Jolanda looked more attractive and was closer to the train station (as I was catching a train the next morning to Florence). I received a reply confirming the cancellation. However, I receive a statement from my credit card yesterday listing a charge of $326 from Hotel Eden for a stay at the hotel on August 26. The charge was of 220EURO @ 1.42 and a fee of almost $10 for the exchange. I was quite angry not only that I received a bill but that I was charged for the full amount. Is that how they make their money? I disputed the charge with my credit card company and sent a forward e-mail to Hotel Eden with our original correnspondence and informing them that the credit card company will contact them. I still haven't heard from them. I do understand that mistakes happen all the time but I was expecting at least an appology for the inconveniences I had to go through.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank korki
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The Eden is not a five star hotel and for many travellers it might not be value for money.
However if you really want to stay in Portofino and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere in the evening, this might be the only place you can stay without going completely bankrupt.
Portofino is incredibly expensive so expect to pay the price for this special picturesque place.
The rooms at Hotel Eden are small but the bathrooms are renewed. And the best of all, the rates are about the same you get quoted in places further down the coast like in Rapallo, Santa Margharita or Sestri Levante. Only due to these circumstances I would recommed this hotel.

• Liked — price for the location
  • Disliked — quality of the establishment
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 April 2007

Hotel Eden offered us a charming room with a view of the garden. The room was comfortable and had recently been tastfully remodeled, but in the morning we discovered our clothes and my wife's make up were covered with ants. Our neighbor in the next room had the same problem, but much worst... ants covering everything. Instead of taking care of the problem, the hotel's owner suggested that we probably brought the ants with us. This sort of response was unacceptable and a bit ridiculous. The rest of our stay was colored with his curt and dismissive attitude towards us, which tainted an otherwise delightful time.

• Disliked — Ants and unresponsive management
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank JBLosAngeles
weedsport, new york
Reviewed 14 August 2006

In July 2006, my husband and I made our first trip to France and Italy. Through Trip Advisor, I picked Hotel Eden in Portofino, Italy, and we wish our travel itinerary permitted us to stay another night or two. The Hotel Eden was clean, modern, in the center of beautiful Portofino, and reasonably priced. The Innkeeper was kind and helpful. If we ever return to the Italian Riviera, we will stay longer at Hotel Eden -- oh, by the way, parking is only a few steps away in a parking garage.

7 Thank Schimiz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 July 2006

Excellent experience. We stayed in room 7 for one night and would have loved to be able to stay another night but they were fully booked up. My wife really loved the place, which was a major bonus as she is only ever happy when shes in a five star hotel. Anyway the room was clean cosy and homely. The balcony sunny, the town lovely, picturesque, if pricey for shopping... get to the church at the top of the hill, you ll need to walk, or run if you fancy it...also the owner was very helpful with planning the rest of the trip, definitely a positive experience.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
0.3 km away
2.5 km away
Best Western Regina Elena
Best Western Regina Elena
#7 of 21 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Hotel Eden? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK