“Disappointing.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
new orleans
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had reservations for lunch at Hotel Splendido knowing we would have a day in Portofino while on a cruise. It is, indeed, a beautiful place. However, we had terrible service and little consideration on their part for mistakes. After our first courses, the waiter brought my husband another plate of the same dish he'd just eaten as his second course. After a minute, someone else took it away and a brusque "sorry, confusion" from the main waiter, we waited a good 20 or more minutes for the correct fish dish to be served. Meanwhile, I went ahead and ate my dish - there was no offer that would allow me to do otherwise. So, my husband sat without food while I ate. When he was finally served, the waitstaff let my plate sit empty on the table while my husband ate (trying to make it look less obvious?) Later, we finally had to ask for the check, for which we then waited another 10-15 minutes. For 3 glasses of wine, a bottle of water, a salad, 2 pasta dishes and a fish dish, the bill was 177 Euros ($220). Amazingly, included in this is a "Coperto" charge of 15 Euros - which is ostensibly the "cover" or, what is often called a "Bread" charge (usually 1 or 2 euros in other cafes and trattorias). The quality of the food was good, however no better than most restaurants we frequent. The service for a restaurant of this reputation was horrendous. If you think paying this much for the view is worth what they charge, you may enjoy Splendido.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank neworleanstraveler55
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guests,

First of all I thank you very much for taking time and trouble to comment about your visit at the Splendido, and for having shared your comments with the TA community,

I am indeed very sorry to learn the inconvenience you experienced during your visit, but at this stage I can only ask you to accept my sincere apologies.

I have taken very seriously every point of your complaint and it is certainly thanks to the comments and suggestions of our Guests, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve our service.

I hope you will trust us again in the future and come back for an another visit,

Yours sincerely,

Ermes De Megni
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

One of the best hotel experiences I have had in all my travels. And "experience" is the key, everything at this hotel works so beautifully together, I felt as though I was walking around the set of a romantic movie with every detail in place. The physical building is charming and romantic. The view from the rooms (as well as the dining terrace) is absolute perfection. Looking onto the the entrance to the port of Portofino with a spectacular rock outcrop with the historic Castel Brown perched regally on top. Charming room with THE best bathroom amenity tray I have seen in a hotel. (Even better than the Burj Al Arab) And of course even with this beautiful hotel and the fantastic view, it could all be ruined by bad service, BUT Everyone we encountered was so polite. They are not robots, but genuine fun truly engaging and elegant, all with unique and interesting character. The FANTASTIC concierge team who were all warm and very competent providing excellent information as well as well as the feeling that we would be well taken care of with not a worry. The dining and bar staff, so very efficient on top of being charming and elegant. A memorable moment was spending an evening in the piano lounge area with one of the most enjoyable entertainers I have had the pleasure to see. We sat with many other couples not talking but enthralled with his songs and very fun and creative patter. He was a character right out of a classic movie. ALL the people who work at that hotel have be trained to perfection and were a joy to encounter in a world where that kind of service seems to be disappearing.
It really was all so well done. Beautiful pool as well with those same magnificent views, and luckily a great little gym.
I read some review on here prior to going and had hesitations, but after staying there 5 nights I know those other people must have had some sort of axe to grind and are just paining a bad picture because they were personally discontent. I too was hesitant about the prime price, but after having a memorable and stay with nothing to even think to complain about I felt glad that I was able to spend my hard earned money to stay in such a perfect hotel. (and I will have to review some of the hotels I don't like to prove the Splendido is a standout, but I tend to want to forget the bad or average ones, this hotel got me excited enough to write this review hoping it will help others go if they are looking for a memorable stay) And it's just a short walk down the hill along a path and in minutes you are in the harbor of Portofino and it's restaurants.

Room Tip: Spend the extra to have a room with a view of the water and small balcony. You will be able to enjoy...
3 Thank Concierge2000
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

This is a very nice hotel, but you really need to go for the view room. Else the price would be too high. As it was raining during most of our visit, he wife and I spent most of our time out on the balcony that over look the sea. Simply amazing.

Another thing that was great, is that I didn't really sign for things, such as tea or coffee in the bar and in our room. And they didn't show up on our bill. I think they are complementary based on your room or package, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for it.

And although getting there was a joy for us, it could be challenging for some drivers (small winding roads with a lot of pedestrians walking.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, its what made our visit such a joy.
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I were looking for a nice romantic place to go for a long weekend before the summer rush started. I eventually found this hotel while surfing the net - it looked fastastic so i booked a junior suite. I was a bit unsure as one could never really trust any hotel's website 100%. But we did have a fantastic time there and we loved the tiny village down by the beach Portofino. The hotel stands on the hills overlooking the harbor and the village and it is trully a wonderful setting! All the staff were very friendly and efficient but the consiege desk was particularly helpful. The hotel restaurant serves great food and has a romantic view of the harbor. We took a half board package which allows us to eat at other participating restaurants as well. So one evening we ate at the restaurant in town which is the sister hotel of Splendido which stood right in the middle of the main square. We had a wonderful dinner there. I should point out that it is quite pricy as one would expect. Also a bit disappointing is the breakfast buffet which was not as great as one would expect at such a hotel.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite which was not very spacious but with a wonderful balcony overlooking the harbo...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AmrushaGaruda
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We drove from Genoa to this coastal village accessed by a small winding coastal road.The hotel itself is situated on the hilly side of slope overlooking the village.Arrival reception was excellent ,our car was taken to park by the front porter and we were quickly shown to our room which we were upgraded to one with small balcony facing the village. The hotel setting was quite beautiful set in a flowery garden atmosphere with romantic terrace and pool ,All hotel staff are quite experienced and make efforts to greet you at every moment. Certainly one of the best serviced small luxury hotel in Europe.A van is provided to town every 20 minutes with pick up.So you can wander around town at anytime.Some shops are good for shopping for clothes and others.But beware,this place is not for the light pocket. But it is worth the romantic experience going in couples. F&B is nice ,so is the piano bar in the evening.Breakfast is a little average.

Room Tip: request 4 th floor.for better view,ask for balcony also.
3 Thank TravelbugX50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
0.1 km away
Albergo Nazionale
#4 of 5 in Portofino
4.4 km away
Excelsior Palace Hotel

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK