We had reservations for lunch at Hotel Splendido knowing we would have a day in Portofino while on a cruise. It is, indeed, a beautiful place. However, we had terrible service and little consideration on their part for mistakes. After our first courses, the waiter brought my husband another plate of the same dish he'd just eaten as his second course. After a minute, someone else took it away and a brusque "sorry, confusion" from the main waiter, we waited a good 20 or more minutes for the correct fish dish to be served. Meanwhile, I went ahead and ate my dish - there was no offer that would allow me to do otherwise. So, my husband sat without food while I ate. When he was finally served, the waitstaff let my plate sit empty on the table while my husband ate (trying to make it look less obvious?) Later, we finally had to ask for the check, for which we then waited another 10-15 minutes. For 3 glasses of wine, a bottle of water, a salad, 2 pasta dishes and a fish dish, the bill was 177 Euros ($220). Amazingly, included in this is a "Coperto" charge of 15 Euros - which is ostensibly the "cover" or, what is often called a "Bread" charge (usually 1 or 2 euros in other cafes and trattorias). The quality of the food was good, however no better than most restaurants we frequent. The service for a restaurant of this reputation was horrendous. If you think paying this much for the view is worth what they charge, you may enjoy Splendido.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on a hillside over Portofino, Belmond Hotel Splendido is surrounded by fragrant pine trees and peaceful olive groves. Belmond Splendido Mare is a little bit closer to the action, being right on the world-famous Piazzetta. A continuous complementary shuttle service is offered between Belmond Hotel Splendido and Belmond Splendido Mare. Belmond Hotel Splendido - Set in four acres of romantic tropical gardens with superb palm trees, Belmond Hotel Splendido overlooks the bay of Portofino. It boasts 67 guest rooms including 1 single room, 23 double rooms, 31 junior suites and 12 suites. Most rooms have balcony or terrace offering views of the Bay of Portofino. Guests can relax by the heated salt-water pool or at the wellness centre, enjoy a game of tennis at the tennis court or explore the gulf with a private boat, while children have fun at the dedicated Kids’ Club. La Terrazza Restaurant serves delicious Ligurian specialties with a view over the Gulf of Portofino, while the Pool Restaurant is perfect for an informal buffet-style lunch, snacks or a pizza. The Cocktail & Piano Bar offers aperitifs, after-dinner cocktails and live piano music every evening. Belmond Splendido Mare - Belmond Splendido Mare has 16 rooms including 10 double rooms, 4 junior suites and 2 suites, all elegantly decorated and furnished. Most have balconies with superb views of the harbour and the village. Dining at the Chuflay Restaurant, bordering the Piazzetta, is a true Dolce Vita experience. Belmond Splendido Mare shares all the facilities with Belmond Hotel Splendido. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Belmond and Expedia so you can book your Belmond Hotel Splendido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido Portofino