All reviews small bathroom cinque terre perfect stopover home made train station star hotel breakfast buffet easy walking distance two nights coffee machine sarah multilingual base wardrobe
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

I guess I had very high expectations given the so many positive comments. Unfortunately I was completely disappointed. I understand it is a 2 star hotel and the surface of the room (10m2) was specified when I did the booking. However the bathroom was very tiny and you need to be a contortionist to take a shower! The soundproof is terrible: you can hear everything that goes on in the adjacent rooms (my neighboors were very active, good for them!!!), in the hallway etc! The tv has only italian channels (even no star hotels have the basic international channels) and even the existing channels did not work well (signal problem). I informed the front desk staff about the signal problem but obviously the right guy was not available. Of course the aim of the visit is not to watch TV, but still I like to watch international news or series before to sleep. This being said, there are some positive points : good breakfast with homemade cakes, helpful staff, train station within walking distance (10mn approx). Besides all that, I enjoyed the Cinque Terre area! If you can afford it I would recommend other places in La Spezia.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
HotelBirillo, Responsabile reception at Hotel Birillo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Expectations ruin always everything, especially for a person who counts the m2...well I wanted to explain things, even that in case there are problems we can make a room change, but for every sentence you said "thank you very much" after I started talking so I could say nothing, you weren't hearing my words...THE TV HAS ONLY ITALIAN CHANNELS..it's true, but they worked(we checked), and it's not true that no stars hotel have foreign channels, you need the satellite, don't talk about things that you don't know...we noticed that you appreciated breakfast, that's why we can't understand the 1 point.

That's true that our bathrooms are not ok for big people, but we write it everywhere

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

We were so happy and pleased to have stayed in Hotel Birillo. We found this hotel last minute because we cancelled our hotel in La Spezia. Turned out, we found a gem in this little town.

Sarah the staff was so welcoming and so helpful, we got a room at 22:00 in the evening. We didn't have any expectations but the room was super lovely for a 2** hotel. The bathroom was indeed small, but I am small so I had no problem :) you really can feel that this hotel is trying their best to make the guests happy by all the details they do in the room. They give you towels, toiletries, even extra pillows, blanket and linen in the wardrobe, which I liked! The room is even air conditioned with TV!! (Thought it's gonna be hot room!). Bathroom was small but has hair dryer, what a value of what you pay, seriously, I sometimes stayed at 3 or 4 stars hotel without no hair dryer so I was very happy.
It's in the city center but it's quiet, and we slept well!

Breakfast was nice, small but has all things you need, they have home made pastries and cakes, eggs and omelettes, bread and jam and cheese, also all kinds of coffee.

The staff were so helpful and explained everything about the little town of La Spezia (go to the traditional market and harbour if you can,very nice!!) And also showed us what we can do in Cinque Terre.

I will recommend this hotel to anyone and would love to go back again !! Oh if you pay by cash it's cheaper than with cards. What a wonderful value :)

And thank you Sarah who was so kind and helpful to us!!! :) We will be back if we have the opportunity again!!

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the room, but it looks exactly like in their pictures. Here's a picture of me and Sarah instead :)

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello!

To be true, I wished you wouldn't post the picture (horrible me!!!)
But I was so pleased that you were happy here
You are so lovely and I would really like to meet you again in case you come back to Italy

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Hotel is in a great location. The staff are so helpful and nice they really went above and beyond for us. The breakfast was lovely one of the best we had in italy. The rooms are small and the bathrooms too. However they really have made the best use of the space available and the hotel was spotless. There is a lovely little garden area out the back which was a lovely place to sit and have a coffee. Really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you..thank you thank you...sorry for being late to say thank you
But I really have a nice memory of you 4..very cheerful and happy and nice people..
Thank you so much, it was a pleasure to meet you here

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Rooms are bright, clean and hotel in central location. Manager and staff are exceptionally helpful snd multi lingual. Breakfast is also well above average for a 2* hotel.

Wifi is excellent with only downside being small bathrooms but Birillo is Italian for pin afterall.

Would highly recommend

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

we appreciated your review and we're glad that you were happy here....and yes...Birillo is italian for the bowling pin :)

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

One night stop on a trip to the Cinque Terre. Easy walking distance from harbour and shops, restaurants. Walkable from railway if you know where you're going - we took a cab there but walked back once we had our bearings. Super helpful reception staff gave us local advice and kept our bags after checkout until we wanted to leave. Comfy beds. Great selection at the breakfast buffet.

Tiniest bathroom I've ever seen. Glad I didn't feel the need to use the shower! Not really a problem for one night at such excellent price.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you so much, we appreciated your comment and we're happy of your satisfation