La Baia di Rio
US$ 134
US$ 119
US$ 111
  • Free Internet
Locanda Ca da Iride(Riomaggiore)
US$ 189
Luna di Marzo(Riomaggiore)
Affittacamere Edi(Riomaggiore)
Sol Levante(Riomaggiore)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsjames cookabel tasmanmarco polohis mothertrain stationthe ownercinque terresmall kitchenetterented roomsamazing viewsfamily runpastathree nightsparking garageyour luggagegreat hostsbottle of wine
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel was so nice, clean and locally owned. We had a sea-view room for 3 with a balcony and the views were incredible. Emiliano and his mother were the most welcoming people and he even picked us up from the train station upon arrival. The beds were comfortable and all you could hear were the waves washing up on the harbor at night. There was also a train strike in Cinque Terre on the day of our departure and we ended up staying there one more night thanks to them. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed two nights in La Baia di Rio on the tail end of our trip through Italy. Our room had a great view of not only the sea, but the village as well. It was exactly what we needed - a place to relax while we explored the towns of Cinque Terre. Yes, you have to walk up a winding hilly road or up some stairs - but guess what - you have to do that where ever you stay. The town is built into a cliff so if you have issues going up and down hills/stairs, you might want to think about other destinations. Emiliano and his mother were quite helpful and gave us a good introduction to the town and some basic directions to find our way around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sean P
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I did a lot of research when I had to decide where to stay on the Cinque Terre. My choice to stay in Riomaggiore was mostly influenced by the reviews of the La Baia di Rio - we had to stay there, so Riomaggiore it was!

My husband and I stayed in the Marco Polo apartment. Wow! What can I say? The most perfect setting you can wish for! The most hospitable hosts you will ever find! The best view over the Cinque Terre possible! I certainly made the right decision.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We booked into La Baia di Rio as a very last minute confirmation (we were already in Genoa and made the decision overnight to move on). When we emailed, Emiliano was fast and helpful with responses. On arriving at the train station, Emiliano's mother met us at the train and insisted on helping my wife drag her suitcase up the hill to the hotel. On the way, she kept pointing out various points of interest and spoke in pretty passable English. When we arrived, she settled us into our suite and gave us her suggestions to make the most out of our time in Cinque Terre. The suite itself was lovely, with a terrace that had an awesome view of the village and sea. The only downfall of our stay was the fact there is minimal soundproofing and we had the misfortune to be next to a bunch of noisy Americans (from the sound of it, probably the people who posted the last review). Overall the service was great, the hotel facilities were pretty good and it was definitely value for money in what is a horrendously overpriced part of Italy. Would stay again happily.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I never wanted to be one of "those people." And yet -- here I am.

First, the details: Location: Good once you're there, bad if you have to walk it with your luggage. Do not believe the "300 meters -- 5-6 minute walk" thing -- it was a 2-3 minute drive up a steep road. Quiet. Clean rooms, no decoration whatsoever, and the room photos on the Web site -- well, they're not "wrong," just don't assume that there is any more of the room than what you actually see in the photo. Cheap mattress, good pillows, large bathroom, very small shower cabinet, good hot water. Plenty of space and hangers in the wardrobes. No phones; no Internet; bad television -- a big problem if you are stuck indoors on a very rainy night (cable plug did not fit securely into the socket and, in fact, would fall out with the slightest touch).

Now, the problems: As requested, when we arrived in Italy we called to reconfirm and to verify our date and probable time of arrival. As agreed, we called again from Pisa about 2 hours beforehand to specify the exact train we would be arriving on. When we arrived -- in a pouring rain -- no Emiliano. And no "plan B." And no telephone. And little help from the friendly locals. I asked at the bar across from the station if they had a public telephone and was brusquely told, "Through the tunnel, in the Center. If it works." 250 meters later, I found it. And it didn't work. Back at the station, I inquired in the Cinque Terre Park Office, and again at the ticket window (there, they did know Emiliano and tried to describe him to me). We had been there more than an hour (rain still pouring down), when I saw a man resembling the description I had been given. It was Emiliano; but the only reason we finally encountered him was that he had come to the station to pick up some guests who were arriving on the next train. But, hey, mis-communication happens, right?
He drove us up to the house, where we were met by his mother, who explained that because previous guests had been sick in another room, other guests had been moved into the room we'd reserved, and we were being moved into a different room for the one night, after which we'd be moved to the room we'd reserved. We were not pleased; we had purposely booked a two-night stay so we could unpack and settle-in a little, instead of having to live out of our suitcases. Nonetheless, we consented to this. After all, it could have happened to us, right? Oh, and by the way, "Write down your passport information so I can have it for the authorities." (No paper).
The next morning, we "organized" our stuff for moving, only to find out that we were supposed to go out, come back at the houskeeper's convenience, and then move our possessions ourselves. The housekeeper knew we didn't speak Italian with any fluency (I try to learn minimal local language, be it in Laos, Cambodia, or Italy, but I'm nowhere close to capable), but she unleashed a torrent of Italian at us anyway and became abusive (I'm guessing) when we did not respond to her initial tirade.

Now, practically, moving our stuff down the hall ourselves would not be a big deal in and of itself. What bothered me was the presumptuous attitude that "Our hotel had a problem -- here, you deal with it, when it fits within our schedule."

Since we were left to pack up -- we did. We left a full night's rent in our "new" room (the one we'd originally reserved), locked the door, left the key in the door, and took the train to our next destination, where they were delighted to receive us a day early. We are loving Lucca, and we recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple