“GREAT location, average hotel...”

Locanda Ca' dei Duxi
Ranked #30 of 32 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Considering the town is very small, and this hotel is very close to the train station, it's definitely a good find. I stayed here 2 nights because my only objective was to stay long enough to hike the Cinque Terre. As I said, being right near the train station (up a VERY steep hill, but still close, nonetheless) and close to good eateries was a big plus for me. Also, the free breakfast was decent considering it is free. I'm not sure if they are in all rooms, but my room at least had a mini-fridge as well.

The hotel itself is rather average. The wifi is kind of weird - you have to go get a new password every 24 hours from the front desk to connect each time, which isn't a HUGE deal but could be annoying to some. Also, I almost flooded the bathroom when taking a shower - it was very difficult to keep the water going down the drain and it ended up going all over the bathroom and even into the bedroom a little. They must have also been repainting the stairway or something because I always got an overwhelming whiff of paint while walking up/down the stairs to/from my room.

Considering the average hotel and average breakfast, however, I still rate this "Very good" because it was a comfortable bed, clean room and an absolutely FABULOUS location - I didn't see many other options this close to the water, and it was a great value considering the location. If your priorities are space and accommodating staff, and other "nice hotel" characteristics, this hotel is probably not for you. But if you're mainly going here for access to the Cinque Terre, then I'd say it's a good choice!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 May 2012

It's not easy to find good-sized modern rooms in these steep little towns - but that's not really why you're here, is it? Riomaggiore is a great base for exploring the Cinque Terre and this B&B is right in the middle of the town. Our room was small and quite basic and the bathroom was really pokey - but the showers were hot and the twin beds were comfortable. The breakfast is fine - cereals, juice, croissants, preserves, cold cuts and fresh hot coffee and tea - and the young women serving it each morning are sweet. However, I do think that for the price charged, the hotel owners could make more of an effort to freshen up the early-backpacker decor in the breakfast rooms and bedrooms.
If you are coming to the Cinque Terre you are probably thinking of doing some of the wonderful walks along the coastal trail or up the hill to Volastra. You need a reasonable level of fitness not just for the walking but also to get to the hotel; you can't bring your car to the hotel and after a long hot day travelling we thought we'd never haul our bags up the steep street to the hotel (another Tripadviser reviewer refers to the experience as a 'widow maker'!) However once you get your breath back the hotel is in a great location and you are only a few steps from some very pleasant little restaurants to enjoy at the end of each day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night & it was the best place we stayed in all of Italy. There was an amazing view from our front window. The room was extremely comfortable and clean. The bathroom is very nice. Shower has hot water & high water pressure. I would not stay anywhere else in Cinque Terre. It is also a great value and the location is also perfect.

Room Tip: We had room 1 and from the window it had a great view of the courtyard, church, and orange trees out...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Loved Cinque Terre.. Beautiful place! The hotel is on the main road in Riomaggiore, so very good location. As for the hotel, not very impressed. Few of the staff were friendly. After walking most of the way up the hill on Via Columbo, we were then taken all the way back down the hill (with our 30 pound backpacks on). We were briefly (and very rapidly) explained when breakfast was and had to ask about the wifi.. which is not in the rooms but by the reception area and at the hotel bar (which they tell you to go to to get wifi as long as you buy a drink while you're using the wifi). If you use the wifi by the reception you do have to sit outside as the reception area is very tiny. Kind of a pain they wouldn't just have the wifi in the building where the rooms are especially considering the room is in a building at the bottom of the hill annd the reception is 2 thirds up the hill. Our room was FREEZING. I rarely ever get cold, in fact I enjoy sleeping in a room that is chilly versus warm and usually have the window open at night but i had to sleep in long thick sweat pants, a long sleeve and a hoodie.. with my hood on and with socks on under all the covers and the 2 extra blankets we found in the closet. The next day, we asked one of the staff if we could have a bit of heat in the room considering how cold it was and she kind of brushed us off and said she'd try and turn the heat on when she came down the hill. A couple hours later they did end up bringing us up a heater which was good. But then the next evening we were sleeping without the heater on (we had it on earlier in the evening and didnt want to keep it on all night) and it got super hot in the room. They had obviously switched the actual heat on in the building and it was now way too hot. As for the shower, very tiny. I am 5 foot 4 and not a wide person and I was hitting my elbows on the sides of the doors just trying to wash my hair. The shower head is way too low. Takes forever to get warm and then it fluctuates and gets scalding hot then freezing cold when you turn it down slightly. I had read somebody else's review about feeling like they were inconveniencing the staff when asking for directions or assistance with something, we definitely felt that way as well. Given we are in our early 20's, we do feel as though sometimes we are treated a bit differently due to our age (unfortunately), we got called "girls" a lot and felt a bit talked down to and as if we were being spoken to like children which we did not appreciate. As for the staff at breakfast, they were pleasant. Didn't speak english very well but always asked if you wanted cappucino, hot chocolate, tea.. etc to drink. Breakfast was good, lots of selection: Cereal, Croissants (sometimes fresh out of the oven if you were there at the right time), Cheese & meats, baguette, those little toasts that come in a package, raisin bread/cake, plain cake, greek yogurt, 3 different jams, juice, milk, water. Breakfast was probably the only part of the hotel we actuallly liked. Approximately 40 steps up just to get to our room and 2 doors to unlock on the way. Sheets & towels were switched every day. When we arrived though, there was some hair in the drain in the sink which grossed us out. Theres bells that go off every hour and for some reason the one that goes off at 7 am goes off for a good 5 minutes.. Little irritating. Room was average and comfortable enough but wouldn't recommend it or stay here again. As for Cinque Terre.. We loved it, we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We had a great time in Rio. Arrived and there was no parking, but luckily the hotel had 1 spot left. I would highly suggest reserving a spot with them prior to arriving. The hotel was easy to find - right on the main street of town. The view from the room was breathtaking! Breakfast was simple, but very good. There were lots of steps and the town is built on the side of a mountain, so you will definitely get some exercise. We had dinner at a restaurant near the hotel and had a great time. Watch out for language barriers - we ended up with two HUGE desserts that would feed 4 people each. The beach is all stones, but still worth the walk to see it. My daughter had a wonderful time throwing rocks. I would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family