“Do NOT stay here!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Mario

Villa Mario
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monterosso al Mare
Villa Mario
Adelaide, South Australia
“Do NOT stay here!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

We originally booked to stay in the Cinque Terre for 2 nights and then at the last minute decided to stay on.. so grabbed the only free room available through the tourist desk. Villa Mario has clearly cashed in on the tourism craze in Monterosso and converted spare rooms in order to rent them out. Bed was the worst I have EVER slept in. Pillows awful, bed linen not clean, horrible towels - everything was cheap and nasty. Shower was luke warm at best. Location is on newer side of town (on top of a small hill) and not nearly as nice as the older side. The owners speak no English which made communication impossible for us. At 80 euro a night it was way over priced. There are far nicer rooms in Monterosso. Dont stay here!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LakesideChick
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Business
  • Greek first
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

Villa Mario is run by an older nice, Italian speaking (and I mean ONLY Italian speaking) couple. Directions to find it were vague, but we found it, after a walk uphill.

Room was large and very clean, but: NO a/c, NO fan, NO screens on windows (I know, no one does, but we have small kids). Kids had bunkbeds which they thought were great, albeit very wobbly.

We booked here thru a reference that gave us another referral and it was the only place avail for 2 adults & 2 kids - and we were told it had a pool by a guy at Tourist Bureau who ref'd us and the gal who called us back and spoke very good english and confirmed the reservation.

Yeah a pool! The promise of a dip in the pool bought us a lot of good behavior on the trip there, so you can imagine our two year old's dissapointment when we were told the pool was "private and not for our use" ?! (By the way, that was the best English we heard).

It turned out okay, but we slept with windows open to get ANY breeze we could and the train rail is only about 30 meters away so it's both sounding its horn and braking as it pulls into the station all night long. I not so jokingly said it was the only breeze we got.

The view is great (if you lean out the window, ignore the neighbors who can see straight-in and almost touch you).

But, bring your own towels - the ones provided pre-dated indoor plumbing and would barely dry a visiting pygmy, never mind my 2 year old. When I wrapped the tea-towel around my 36 (okay after this trip, 37.5 inch waste) I was reminded of the locker room scene from Starsky & Hutch... I told my wife if she didn't get us more towels I was going to pad downstairs in my see-thru micro-towel and demand them myself. Needless to say, they were miraculously "acquired" minutes later (although my Aussie wife may have "borrowed" them from another guest's balcony, I'm never too sure with her...) And the beds were of the genre of the towels, about 50 years old and well past their prime.

In their defense, they said NO breakfast, but for 50 cent you got a pretty decent machine cappucino/macchiato and a slice of raisin bread/toast, which was a very pleasant turn of events.

Overall, Villa Mario is just OKAY. Clean, safe, big room - but hot, noisy and not exactly as advertised to us - if you speak Italian, at least you'll know what you're getting in to and perhaps be able to get more info from your hosts, where to eat, swim, etc. We tried by our meager Italian wasn't up to the task (entirely our fault, not theirs).

Ohh, lastly, they never told us it was CASH ONLY, so on the morning of our check-out I did an hour's walk to 2 different Bancomat's (finally found the one that works in the old town) to come w/ the cash needed to check out. Again, it just would have been nice to know. An OKAY place, they just should've managed our expectations a lot better!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family