“I have no words...”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

A truly very, very bad experience!
Been to strabacco with my family of 4, no great expectations but to get a good meal at a quarter-restaurant, based on earlier reviews and average rating on trip advisor. Certainly, the people at strabacco pride themselves a lot about their trip advisor ratings, with a lot of posters outside in inside the restaurant. One of them shows a prize of excellence...
Meal started with some dreadful antipasti, including slices of processed turkey meat and pasteurised cheeses supermarket style on faded rocket.
Same story with the pasta of the day my daughters ordered: much too cooked and sauce from a can tasted like poor hospital food. They did not like it. My wife ordered a tagliata (grilled beef) medium that came very rare, but the prize of excellence was mine:
I ordered the grigliata mista of the day (mixed grilled) and got a gigantic plate with the following:
- 1 Piece of pork belly grilled too little time at a far too high temperature, burned outside and pink inside
- 1salsiccia they survived the grill
- cevapcici of industrially processed meat, obviously from the freezer
- 1 chicken drum cooked like the pork above, more pink inside because previously freezed
- 3(!!!) hot-dogs, don't want to know the ingredients, very low level of meat-products
- a mountain of mashed potatoes of suspicious color
All of it savagely salted.
Couldn't eat any of it, we ended up not paying for the grigliata but the damage was done anyway. We left praying that we would not be ill.

4  Thank hosteratu

Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I are just back from the charming and history-rich city of Trieste, one of the hidden pearls of Italy. It is located very close to the border with Slovenia. It is a city with a wonderful mix of many different cultures. Not far from Trieste's Cathedral we found this little gem called Strabacco. With typical Italian flair, the hosts made us feel home the moment we stepped in. As starters we ordered "Burratina", a cheese made from mozzarella and cream, and "caprese di bufala". The main course was reserved to meat. This restaurant serves quality beef and any beef lovers must not miss the selection on offer. My wife chose "Filleto di Manzo and Rosmarino" I went for the Argentinean Cube Roll (Angus Beef). Simply delicious.
Anyone visiting Trieste should pay a visit to Strabacco for a meal. Prices are reasonable, the service is friendly and efficient and the food is simply great.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We recently had dinner at Stra Bacco and unfortunately I came away with a slightly different perception of this restaurant than most TA reviewers. The local is situated in a quaintly decorated older building, featuring a rustic wood motif. Tables were set with nice tablecloths and quality eating utensils (including a great steak knife.) There was a constant annoying mix of African and Arabic music; not a Chill Out mix, that greatly took away any relaxing atmosphere. We sat up in the front area of the restaurant and there seemed to be little if any heat. This may be attributed to the nearby entrance; however, there wasn't much clientele traffic on this Thursday evening.

I started my meal with the tagliatelle pasta made with porcini mushrooms. The homemade pasta was tasty and the mushrooms were fresh. The waitress didn't offer to bring any grated Parmesan cheese to go with the pasta. I followed this with an order of the Grilled Lamb Chops and a side dish of sautéed spinach. The three thick cut chops were perfectly cooked and delicious. There was no care made in presentation of either of these dishes, aside from a pile of rocket salad leaves with the chops. My wife enjoyed her sliced steak drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction with a side order of grilled vegetables. As we are eating our meal, the waitress asked if she could take the condiments away for another nearby table. I guess there is a shortage of condiment sets at Stra Bacco.

For dessert we shared the chocolate cake with a warm chocolate center. This is the same prepared chocolate cake every restaurant serves, as all that is required for the chef to do is to pop it into the oven, plate and serve.

Stra Bacco's prices were reasonable with our above meal plus a half-liter of house wine, a bottle of water and a glass of grappa totaling 57 euros. The "chic dining" advertised on Stra Bacco's website was far from being chic. The waitress was loud and very casual in her service; similar to what you would find in a family owned Trattoria or Osteria. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed, as they weren't very attentive to service and forgot to bring items to our table. The music left me with a headache. The previous two nights I visited other area restaurants (see my reviews for Ai 2 Ladroni and Menarosti) and I preferred the overall dining experience there.

1  Thank Mirto56
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you are looking for a place where to enjoy excellent food in a friendly atmosphere with discreet yet helpful service look no further. At Strabacco we found the whole meal experience was perfect. From the warm welcome on arrival, to the perfect timimg between courses to the quality of the food (I personally recommend the steak as it is a mealt in the mouth). As somebody mentioned an English version of the menu is available without taking anything away from the authenticity of the place. We visited as a family but it is perfect also for couples. Absolutely a must.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Tucked away on a tiny side street, Strabacco is not to be missed. Great service, delicious food, welcoming ambiance. The owners Santo and Gio are dedicated to finding the best meats and local produce for their meals. The grilled meats were to perfection, and my friends who had pasta were very pleased. The appetizers were original and delicate leaving plenty of room for a primi and secondi.