“Not For Everyone, Reasonable Prices”
Review of Strabacco - CLOSED

Strabacco
Price range: US$ 29 - US$ 64
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We recently had dinner at Stra Bacco and unfortunately I came away with a slightly different perception of this restaurant than most TA reviewers. The local is situated in a quaintly decorated older building, featuring a rustic wood motif. Tables were set with nice tablecloths and quality eating utensils (including a great steak knife.) There was a constant annoying mix of African and Arabic music; not a Chill Out mix, that greatly took away any relaxing atmosphere. We sat up in the front area of the restaurant and there seemed to be little if any heat. This may be attributed to the nearby entrance; however, there wasn't much clientele traffic on this Thursday evening.

I started my meal with the tagliatelle pasta made with porcini mushrooms. The homemade pasta was tasty and the mushrooms were fresh. The waitress didn't offer to bring any grated Parmesan cheese to go with the pasta. I followed this with an order of the Grilled Lamb Chops and a side dish of sautéed spinach. The three thick cut chops were perfectly cooked and delicious. There was no care made in presentation of either of these dishes, aside from a pile of rocket salad leaves with the chops. My wife enjoyed her sliced steak drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction with a side order of grilled vegetables. As we are eating our meal, the waitress asked if she could take the condiments away for another nearby table. I guess there is a shortage of condiment sets at Stra Bacco.

For dessert we shared the chocolate cake with a warm chocolate center. This is the same prepared chocolate cake every restaurant serves, as all that is required for the chef to do is to pop it into the oven, plate and serve.

Stra Bacco's prices were reasonable with our above meal plus a half-liter of house wine, a bottle of water and a glass of grappa totaling 57 euros. The "chic dining" advertised on Stra Bacco's website was far from being chic. The waitress was loud and very casual in her service; similar to what you would find in a family owned Trattoria or Osteria. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed, as they weren't very attentive to service and forgot to bring items to our table. The music left me with a headache. The previous two nights I visited other area restaurants (see my reviews for Ai 2 Ladroni and Menarosti) and I preferred the overall dining experience there.

1  Thank Mirto56

Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you are looking for a place where to enjoy excellent food in a friendly atmosphere with discreet yet helpful service look no further. At Strabacco we found the whole meal experience was perfect. From the warm welcome on arrival, to the perfect timimg between courses to the quality of the food (I personally recommend the steak as it is a mealt in the mouth). As somebody mentioned an English version of the menu is available without taking anything away from the authenticity of the place. We visited as a family but it is perfect also for couples. Absolutely a must.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Tucked away on a tiny side street, Strabacco is not to be missed. Great service, delicious food, welcoming ambiance. The owners Santo and Gio are dedicated to finding the best meats and local produce for their meals. The grilled meats were to perfection, and my friends who had pasta were very pleased. The appetizers were original and delicate leaving plenty of room for a primi and secondi.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

A very nice restaurant; english menu available. Steaks highly recommended, as is the prosciutto, celery, tomato and parmasan starter. Opens 1945.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Full on grill restaurant were you can enjoy the best Tagliata in Trieste. Cooked slowly on the wood fire to perfection.
(expect some waiting if you order a big pice of meat)
Friendly Santo and Gio told us that the meat comes from a farm in England and in their opinion is the best meat they can find on the market.
You can expect a mix of fusion and typical modern Italian dishes.
Great selection of wine and spirits if you feel like drinking. Lounge music and good service every time.