“Delicious, uncomplicated, well prepared food!”

Trattoria da Giovanni
Ranked #169 of 930 Restaurants in Trieste
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2017

This is not haute cuisine, don't go expecting sophistication.
Go here for great quality ingredients, skilfully prepared in the traditional ways.
We had;
Spaghetti vongole - great sauce, loads of clams, lovely chewy pasta!
Fried sardines - lovely light batter, cooked to perfection!
Grilled calamare - tendy with a touch of crispiness around the edges (sooo clever to get that sweet-spot!), juicy, tangy, beautiful.
A carafe of local white, the house white. Definitely one of the best house wines I've drunk - full flavoured and balanced.
I REALLY liked this place, it ticked many of the boxes I have for favourite places; bustle, locals eating there, no fuss no "bs", experienced and skilled cooks, great quality local produce, friendly service.
I wish I lived nearer to Trieste... :-)

Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

This is a perfect example of a prime location tourist trap. First of all the bathrooms are gross. Second, the food is bland and disgusting. Do not bother, we went to other amazing restaurants in Trieste with great happiness. This was a low point. Didn't even finish our meal

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

Food quite bad compared with prices...
There is several places in Trieste which is a better choise. Would try something different tomorrow.

1  Thank JensAndreB
Reviewed 30 October 2016

Locals told me this is the place to do for local traditional food. I had mixed boiled meats and enjoyed my meal although they did give me an enormous amount of sauerkraut which I'm not a big fan of. The meat was nice and tender and there was plenty of it. Clearly I misread the vibe and got wine instead of beer. Duh. Seems like it's a favorite with locals and I heard quite a bit of German(?) being spoken there.

1  Thank AGourmandTraveler
Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

Our Airbnb host suggested this restaurant for quality local cuisine. What a find. Loved sitting amongst the locals.
Food great and service you need to find.

Friendly people