“Tasty sandwiches, but I'm not sure it deserves the top spot on TA!”
Review of Il Matterello

Il Matterello
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 11
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2017

As everyone else has written, this is a friendly, unassuming little place. It had a WC for guests to use.
We arrived at 12 noon on a Saturday, and ordered two sandwiches from the friendly lady behind the counter: a piadina with ham and rocket, and a cassoni with sausage and spinach. Both were delivered to our table after a short wait, and were tasty and warm, though the sausage meat was very greasy (oil dripped from it while we were holding it). Those two sandwiches plus a canned soft drink came to just under 10 euros.
It was an inexpensive and tasty pit-stop but I am not sure it warrants the top spot on TA for San Marino. I would recommend it but would also urge other travellers to manage their expectations!
There were numerous sandwich bars elsewhere in San Marino, so this wasn't a one-off.
Finally, we weren't given (or offered) a free Nutella sandwich, in case any other travellers thought that one would be coming their way as per some of the other reviews below! However, if you'd like one, you could order one - we saw from the extensive menu that the sweet sandwiches were not expensive.

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Fantastic piadine! Super fresh ingredients and big enough to share. I recommend trying a couple of different kinds. The lady who helped us was absolutely lovely!

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Just to be clear, this is not located anywhere near the historical centre of San Marino. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't stop by for a tasty lunch on your way in or out of the city - the food at this popular local hangout is immensely more unique and tasty than most of the more touristy options available.

Walk in, look at the 30 or so options available above the counter, choose one per person (plenty of food), order and wait for them to bring it you inside, outside or to go. The porcetta is truly amazing and ours even came with a complementary pocket filled with Nutella for dessert. But it's really up to you when you order - I doubt you can go far wrong.

Certainly worth a small detour if you are in the area and like tasty honest food.

1  Thank Boh_1
Reviewed 11 June 2017

We were so impressed after trying their piadinas. I had a porchetta and my husband had a salami. Both were excellent. Sandwiches were huge. We also had the best French fries for a while.

Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

We made a detour to San Marino on our drive up the coast and after a quick search decided on sandwiches at Il Matterello. It was a great choice. Excellent, quick service and seats available. The sandwiches are on flatbread and similar to a hearty quesadilla. My daughter and I split a delicious prosciutto crudo one and we still didn't finish it all. The friendly, helpful staff delivered a Nutella one the topped off the meal and will guarantee I will pass on my recommendations of this great little shop.

2  Thank GMS97