All reviews the main hotel free parking hotel garage opened the door comfortable hotel ten minute walk on foot pasta the main square rooms are small comfortable stay perfect location first floor piazza garibaldi train station city centre annex
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let me begin on a positive note. One thing puzzles me; why is the standard of coffee in almost every Italian hotel, (chain or independent), uniformly horrid? Is it because the coffee in cafes is so good? Possibly, but when the coffee from any of the new-wave of capsule machines is so good, (not as good as freshly ground I grant you), why offer horrid sludge?

So for our first breakfast in the Ibis, not only did it have a capsule machine - but the new Nespresso model. The kind that offers flat “pods”, instead of the usual capsules. You were offered three types of pod: a “forte”, “ristretto” and “decaf” - hallelujah! My whole breakfast experience was elevated to another level. You would be surprised how much this small measure, influenced my regard for the Ibis Styles.

As well as the excellent coffee, other breakfast items were of a high quality. The hot items were acceptable and bettered our other two hotels by some margin. There was a decent selection of other items and fresh fruit. My wife said that the water for her morning cup of tea was also piping hot, so absolutely no complaints on that front.

This was welcome, as the Ibis had got off to a fairly shaky start; with a check-in experience that wasn’t that great. I’ll cut the Ibis some slack, as this was the weekend of a marathon-run in the city and I’m assuming the hotel was pretty full. So when we arrived at 1300, we were told that our room wasn’t ready, (fair enough), but we could store our luggage in the large conference room. We were issued with tags for our two suitcases, (good for security), until we returned to check-in at 1600. On returning, we simply walked into the conference room, retrieved our luggage - crucially, with no checks on whether we had the appropriate tags. Excellent if you wanted to expedite check-in quickly, (which we did), but not so good if someone had stolen our luggage.

This “laid-back” attitude seemed to be the default mode for most of the youthful desk staff. Our interaction with them was minimal but as far as Italian desk staff go - I’ve had friendlier. This was in marked contrast to the lovely lady who ran the breakfast room. She was extremely efficient, (performing almost every task), and insisted - every morning - on checking your room number, in order to be struck off her list. She was a veritable one-woman army of efficiency.

The room itself was also a bit of a mixed bag. Excellent bed and bathroom, lots of hanging and storage space, complimentary bottled water and as far as our room, (111), was concerned - a nice view of the Parma river across the road, (which was very low/non-existent due to the dry summer). I would have warned against possible traffic noise, but as the road in front of the hotel was blocked off due to bridge/roadworks, there was precious little traffic to generate noise. There was also zero noise from the roadworks - or to be more precise, what seemed like “no-roadworks”. They looked as if they had been going on for some time - and would continue to do so.

The large window that provided the nice view, also contributed to a potential pitfall - it faced West. So late afternoon, when outdoor temperatures rose above thirty degrees, the window received the full glare of the setting sun. The air-conditioning just, (and I do mean “just”), about coped but even with it on full “cool” mode, late afternoons were not the time to relax in your room. The air-conditioning controls, (four poorly marked, slightly-damaged, tiny, hard to decipher buttons), were set in a small panel. It took a bit of poking and prodding but I eventually got it as cool as it would go - and there it remained. It did have one saving grace, some hotels guard against morons leaving the air-conditioning on, (and the windows wide open), by disabling the system when you leave the room. Had that been the case here, we would have returned to a severely uncomfortable room. The menace of the “open-window idiot” was negated by the fact that the window had a magnetic proximity switch. You opened the window - the air-con went off - simple and efficient.

The only other small gripes could both be laid at the “corporate” door. Every night at midnight, the wi-fi turfed you out and demanded that you log yourself back in. Not a deal breaker but I like waking up to my freshly downloaded e-newspaper, which could only occur if I was up after midnight to re-logon. Also the Accor hotel group trumpet their online magazine service via “Pressreader”. I happen to have an online magazine subscription and the hotel wi-fi would not allow me to download my magazine, from my magazine vendor. Just to be clear - it definitely was a function of the hotel wi-fi. Why? Because when I “tethered” my tablet to my phone’s data stream, the download occurred. I presume Accor did some form of deal with “Pressreader” and no competition will be tolerated.

If all this sounds as if we disliked the hotel, we did not. It has an excellent location, with the city centre being easily walkable and the strada Farini, (the main street for bars and restaurants), being even closer. Finally, I did consider Accor hotel’s other city centre establishment but when I calculated the price difference between that place and the Ibis, for our five day stay in Parma - it made the Ibis irresistible. A decent hotel but not without a few flaws.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2018

This has to be the ugliest hotel in a beautiful town, lime green bathroom? what are they thinking of, no car parking at the hotel only paid, very expensive public parkingpublic parking, one small, slow lift, amenities locked, no breakfast when free breakfast is advertised.

Probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I like Ibis hotels and use them almost exclusively, this one is not up to scratch.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Renato B, Direttore at Ibis Styles Parma Toscanini, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.
Sincerly

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Very well located hotel, on the river front but at walking distance of the city center and the commercial streets. Nice restaurants around the block.
The rooms are small but comfortable and the staff is very efficient and helpful.
The breakfast has the basics as you can expect from this kind of hotel.
Overall, you get what you pay for.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed here overnight on our was to austria. The hotel was modern and exceptionally clean. We had a balcony were you could watch the world go by
There was a 2 min walk into Parma which had lovely quaint shops and bars. The bars spilled out onto the pavement. Wonderful atmosphere and fabulous wine
Breakfast in the morning was plentiful

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2018

A good central location in Parma, not in the centre but easy to get around on foot. A 10/15 minute walk from the station, and several restaurants and bars nearby.The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the bottles of water replaced everyday were much appreciated. Breakfast was large and had a good selection.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends