See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

Clementina, the proprietor makes this place amazing. She is funny, kind, forthright, thoughtful and informative. You are living in her house, with her family. The location is perfect! Walk out the front door and everything you see and go to is within easy walking distance. The rooms are gorgeous. Don't use the air conditioning though, it kind of works, but there is a major amount of condensation that collects on the floor. The breakfast is incredible! Croissants, coffee, fruit, meats, cheeses, tomatoes, eggs and more! All presented beautifully. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the wifi was really poor, you have to sit out in the first room you walk in to get it. That's not that bad, but I was sitting out there only in shorts when 5 adolescent boys came into our family's half of the house. This is where we were all sleeping. Even that isn't that bad, it just felt off to have a bunch of kids (with Clementina's son) traipsing through at about 2:30 AM. Great place other than that! I would stay again for sure!

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2016

Our party of 4 had 3 bedrooms at La Pilotta, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Each room had an ensuite bathroom, which was a great bit of privacy. One of the baths was small -- mine -- but perfectly serviceable. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned daily with fresh towels, which we found an unusual and nice touch. The building is across from a large park, but Parma rolls up the streets by 10 PM and we had no problems with noise. The building has excellent modern windows, which does a great deal to block street noise. We had wonderful sleep here.

We were able to walk from the train station to La Pilotta. One thing to note is in Parma building numbers exist on both sides of the street, so the first #31 we encountered was not La Pilotta. This caused us some confusion, but Google maps actually had the right location and once we decided to trust it, we arrived without difficulty. The La Pilotta entrance is off a courtyard back from the street, so you do need to watch for the address and a very small sign tucked into the courtyard.

The location is terrific with many nearby restaurants and very near the river. There is a large park on the other side of the river with an outdoor restaurant with afternoon drinks which is a pleasant way to spend time visiting with friends. Like all Italian towns, there is a big church and a palace, lots of history, and a real town with real people living their lives, which is some of our most enduring memories.

Finally, we could not say enough about the warm and hospitality of Clementina, the host. She extended many kindnesses to us, including hanging out our laundry to dry on her line -- she much favors air dried -- and preparing us a departure breakfast even though we did not buy breakfast from her. She uses her computer and translation program to help her communicate, which worked well. Wifi is very good in the apartment.

Well located, nicely appointed, free coffee and tea, a great living area we used often, and a warm and caring host made for a memorable stay. I wish I could find a place like this in every city where I travel.

Room tip: Two rooms on the front of the building have more natural light.
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2015

This is a fabulous place in a lovely part of Parma. We were given the choice of two spacious rooms at the front of this old but spotless apartment. The decor is out of the 1960s but that's its charm. Our hostess Clementina couldn't have been more helpful. Each day the breakfast was generous with different little touches each time, and actually it was very sophisticated, such as sundried tomato with anchovy and capers, the freshest pastries and she even peeled our hard boiled egg for us. She booked restaurants for us, and they were excellent. It was truly like being a guest in her home.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2015 via mobile

My sister stayed at La Pilotta some years ago, loved it, and always urged me to go. I could only stay two nights unfortunately. However, I had an entire apartment to myself. Two bedrooms, huge bathroom and sunny terrace where I was served a sumptuous breakfast. The star of this place, however, is not the charming and beautiful apartment, but the charming and beautiful owner, Clementina. My sister has never forgotten her and neither will I. Clementina makes you feel like you have a second home, in Italy. Don't stay anywhere else in Parma.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2015

The hostess Clementina went out of her way to make sure that we were comfortable and our request for special diet for breakfast met. It is well located for visiting the sites of Parma. It's clean, comfortable with all the amenities. A full kitchen is available for use. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops nearby.

Date of stay: April 2015