“Best meal I have had in a very long time”

Enogastronomia Giuseppe Giusti
Ranked #151 of 834 Restaurants in Modena
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 80
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 February 2016

There are only four tables in this wonderful restaurant, which is located behind their own delicatessen, but do your utmost to get a table here for lunch. Unforgettable food. For my starter, I had their chicken/capon broth, Tortellini in brodo di Cappone: delicate flavours in a beautiful clear broth. For the second course, I chose guinea-fowl with balsamic vinegar (well, you can't come to Modena and have any other vinegar, can you?) and fennel: the meat was deliciously moist. When looking at the dessert choices, I thought that any chocolate mousse priced at €15 must be a bit special, and wow, it was a whole lot more than that, from the accompanying dried violets to the tiny bubbles filled with liqueur on top. and the smooth chocolate, without a doubt the best chocolate mousse I've ever had. The food is pricy, but absolutely worth it. The discreet but friendly service, and the bottle of lightly sparkling red Lambrusco (new to me), made this perhaps the highlight of my trip to Italy.

Date of visit: February 2016

Reviewed 14 December 2015

This is a delicatessen shop that serves drinks and snacks in the evening. We had our drinks, we ate our snacks and off we were. Nothing more, nothing less - pretty average place.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 28 November 2015

Even if you can't eat in the Hosteria behind this salumeria, it's well worth visiting. The products are of the highest quality, and there are plenty of things to stock up on or purchase as gifts. The family that runs it are knowledgeable, helpful, enthusiastic, and friendly.

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went to this restaurant with a group of nine. Our group leader chose the food as she had been here before. We had several appetizers, 3 main dishes and dessert. I think we needed more food ordered as portions are kind of small so we all ended up not quite satisfied. The food was tasty except for the squab which was way too salty. The small room is quaint and we enjoyed the atmosphere.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We went searching for this place after good reviews and found it near the military academy well within a short walk from the centre of Modena. The place was busy but we were offered a soon available table outside (Popular with local people) and offered from a very short verbal menu - think specials rather than a la carte. My wife ordered the tuna salad and I opted for the bresoula (cured beef ham). Both arrived with the ordered glass of wine and a bottle of water and we finished with 2 coffees (Espresso) - the total price was €34. They were excellent, the service good and the views nice. They made a good and very reasonable lunch and a nice break from the richer dinners you must have when in Modena. Strongly recommended and a memorable food experience.

Date of visit: April 2014