“Beautiful rooms, if a bit empty”
Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The rooms are beautiful, and we had a massive ceiling, with an outside view to the park which was wonderful to look out into. The hotel is in the best location one could hope for, close to the train station and right in the center of one of the most important streets of the city, within walking distance of most places.

As others say, there is a fair problem with the floorboards, since one can hear heels clicking on the other floors, however it wasn't that much of a problem in our case. Also, there is free wifi.

Room Tip: With a park view and probably in the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 December 2011

What can I say about the I Portici Hotel Bologna and the staff; I stayed at this hotel because of the location to the train. It was perfect. The room was clean and quite .the staff was always ready to help, I asked for a restaurant in the area and was given a map with the place was circled. When I arrive at the restaurant and mention the hotel, I had the best setting and the owner was over to see me. This Hotel has a great reputation and would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for third floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The place is really lovely and the atmosphere is very cool. Young and kind staff at the reception - though I wouldn't call them "friendly". Rooms are large and minimal-style furnished (though I must admit I didn't like the shelves and racks to substitute for a proper cupboard). Breakfast is abundant and excellent with two buffets - one sweet, one salted - and served in a lovely little theatre with outstanding décor.
I was a bit surprised to find worn-out sheets and towels (one of them even ripped) and the complimentary toiletries were also scanty.
Free wi-fi and satellite TV; the mini-refrigerator in the room is very nice to look at but so noisy that I had to switch it off during the night.
One thing I didn't like is that when I arrived, though the room had already been paid for by my company, the receptionist asked me my credit card as a "guarantee" for the minibar drinks and snacks. Well, what I think is that a 4-stars luxury hotel should not only avoid such suspicious attitude, but also offer at least water free of charge to its customers, and take the risk that somebody who can afford to stay in a ***L hotel might steal something from the minibar a coke or a beer or a chocolate from the minibar instead of displaying such unpleasant distrustfulness.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LucyKo
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We all know that first impressions are very important and this time, Silvia from the reception made all the difference. Thank you Silvia for the great room you gave me, on the 3rd floor with a beautiful balcony to the gardens and via Indipendenza. The room was spacious, bright, with a beautiful ceiling, very clean, comfortable bed and decent bathroom. Free wi-fi with very good speed anywhere in the hotel was a plus.
I had 4 dinners at "La Terrazza" Bistro and the quality was very good for a fair price - the “spuma di mascarpone” for desert was delicious.
Breakfast was very decent, with fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit and yoghurts. I would suggest some variety of bread as we only have white bread available. The breakfast room was amazing, the old theatre beautifully restored (as the rest of the hotel) with the stage and a piano.
Location is great, just 10 minutes walk to the city centre, lots of shops in via Indipendenza.
I stayed 6 nights for business purposes and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping, ask for a room facing the garden. Via Indipendenza can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Mixed feelings about this one.
Likes
Location good (but essentially hotel central)
Clean and interesting refurb of an old building
Quality breakfast (restaurant meant to be excellent but shut on the night I was there)
Free wi-fi (worth the extra dot)
Pretty decorated ceilings
Dislikes
As others said, noisy if people walk around above
Sparse, minimalist rooms ill-suited to the overall building (e.g. hanging rack instead of a wardrobe)
At times looks like a spooky building out of a Stephen King novel
Very slow check-out process

OK is rate is good....amazed it's part of SLH though.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business