“Excellent experience. Carmelita really knows her stuff!”
Review of Cook Italy

Cook Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1999 offering Market-to-Table day class, half day classes, 3 night courses. As my classes are for very small numbers they fill up quickly and the first months to fill are April/May and September/October so plan ahead! I offer home cooking in a well air-conditioned home kitchen making updated, well plated, traditional Italian meals and my apartment is right in the heart of the historic city. Beginners, experienced cooks, professional chefs, families with children all welcome! I do my utmost to give you a memorable day and a great culinary experience and teach all the classes personally. And if you or your travelling partner/s don't fancy cooking, I offer a morning market food tour ending in a light lunch to introduce you to Bologna, its history and its food. And an unusual evening tour too, just email to ask!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent experience. Carmelita really knows her stuff!”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is the first time that I've taken a one-on-one cooking class. What a treat! Not only did I experience all the shops and their friendly outgoing owners, but I received a lot of great information on the history and origin of the food and recipes. Carmelita is not only a good and patient teacher but she's a lot of fun as well! Carmelita is very passionate about her classes and it shows. This is good value for the money. When I'm in Bologna again, I will definitely take another class! If you have the chance to take one of Carmelita's classes -DO IT! You will not regret it! Thanks Carelita for a great time!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Julianne L
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thanks for the great review, and yes we had fun! I really appreciate your comments, which I hope will be helpful to someone considering a one-on-one class. And you were soooo super fast posting your review, special thanks for that- I hope we may cook together again next time you're over, maybe at some country venue outside Bologna...... Best wishes and thanks for *your* lovely company!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Korean first
New South Wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Day of Cooking and Laughter!”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was by far the best cooking course I have done in my many travels all over the world. I am a cook and restaurant owner in Australia and my husband and sister also came along. Despite our different levels of cooking experience (and interest) in our group we all found the day to be thoroughly rewarding. Carmelita's passion for what she does is inspirational and I thoroughly appreciated talking with a like minded cook! I applaud her on the choice to run small groups which makes for such an intimate and personalised experience. Not only did we learn the finer tricks to good 'Bolognese' cooking but also felt like we had spent the day with a long lost friend. Thank you Carmelita and we look forward to seeing you in Outback NSW one day! The Cocky, His Wife and Her Sister!

Visited January 2012
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Praise from an experienced cook and restaurant chef is high praise indeed, mille grazie!
I am especially gald that you feel that each one of you got something out of the class. Now I have to come and eat at your place, I'm working on it! I enjoyed the day with the three of you a great deal myself, and it would be lovely to cook and eat together again, in Oz or in Italy! Take care until then cooking sister!
Denver, Colorado
“Loved this class”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My family and I loved this class and even had a dinner party at home with the new recipes!

Visited November 2011
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review the class with me! Very happy you all loved it, even happier that you had a dinner party with the recipes you learnt, just what I aim for, that people can make the recipes when they are back home!
Los Angeles, CA
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Experience to Remember for a loooong time”
Reviewed 24 December 2011

With little time on our hands and based on recommendations from TripAdivor (Thank you!!) we set out to book a two day cooking session with Carmelita. We were not let down and appreciated the time she gave us to teach us the art of Bolognese cooking. First off, be aware that sessions are private small groups, you will cook at her home and will use normal utensils you can find at home. Our biggest thing was to be able to take home what we learned and translate it in our kitchen (which I am glad to announce that we've had multiple successes!!) Carmelita prefers payment via wire transfer so keep that in mind when considering her classes. We spent a few hours in the street market and she taught us the ins and outs of trusting your produce man as well as your butcher! Funny to find out what we as tourist here as the place to go, all the locals stay away from certain business and how they try and trick us to sell us a "better product" I am more savvy now because of her (and other cooks!) Italian cooking is not for everyone and requires a different mind that we in America are used to. This experience is a must!

Visited October 2011
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
What a wonderful review, very honest and very personal, so refreshing that you share what you learned and so thrilled that you found your time with me a great experience to remember for a loooong time. Mille Grazie and Arrivederci!!
Denver, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Day of our Entire Trip!”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Carmelita's cooking class was the best part of our trip in Italy! She spends the entire day with you - first taking you through the local market to educate you about food, where it comes from, what it should look like and taste like, the ingredients to look for, etc... She is a wealth of knowledge!! Next we were able to sample different types of Balsamic Vinegars and learn the history behind the product (again....we had no idea, very educational!). Then we went back to Carmelita's apartment and began to prepare our meal. She is a wonderful teacher...very patient and eager to help. While our food was resting and baking we walked to a local wine store for a glass of wine and another taste of local food. We learned so much in one day with Carmelita...I cannot express what a gem she is and how knowledgeable and passionate she is about food. Our day with Carmelita was the best day of our entire trip. We will be back to cook with her again when we return to Bologna! Thank you Carmelita!!!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank mizzousteph
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
I only just noticed that my reponse to your outsanding and much appreciated review never appeared - I must have not hit the right the buttons and I am truly turly sorry about that. Many belated thank yous. And yes please, come back to cook with me absolutely any time, as I had a super and memorable day with the two of you myself!

Very best wishes, happy cooking!