“This should be #1 restaurant in Rome!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2,597 of 11,808 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 76
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: One of the most unusual place to eat in the world...a mausoleum of 2000 years ago...
London, United Kingdom
“This should be #1 restaurant in Rome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We read the reviews on here and loved the sound of this restaurant and we are so glad we went! It's just outside of the city walls (don't let that put you off), it was a very short cab ride and the setting is stunning. Paolo explained the history associated with the site and gave us a tour.The food is incredible. We loved the little extras that were thrown in, some nibbles to start, some cheese using a 2000 year old secret receipe and a taste of their fabulous lasagne on the side when my daughter couldn't make up her mind on what to order! Save some room for dessert, the Tiramisu should not be missed!
Paolo is the perfect host and has some fabulous stories to accompany your meal! Do not miss this restaurant!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Turkish first
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best kept secret in Rome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Not too far from the center of everything is the Hostaria Antica Roma. A delightful restaurat in a unique setting with food that makes us keep coming back. If we do nothing else in Rome, we make sure we come back to this restaurant. After our net cruise which will end in Rome, we will stay one additional day just for the great meal and service at Hostaria Antica Roma. And it's a special treat for Harley riders!

• Visited October 2011
New York, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best dining experience I had in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is the place to come in Rome. We found this on Tripadvisor randomly, and didn't know what to expect. We left the restaurant having had one of the best dining experiences I had ever had in my life. My family was treated like family by Paolo, the host extraordinaire. As Americans, we felt right at home with Paolo's story-telling and warmth shown toward us.

Of course, the real joy is the food, which is nothing short of incredible. I can't even begin to tell you all of the different dishes we had. But the appetizer sampler that was brought out was almost enough to fill me completely, and there was still plenty more that we indulged in. The chicken, an ancient Roman recipe from 2,000 years ago, was simply outstanding.

And how could we not get the tiramisu after Paolo told us all about it? It was magical. Make sure you ask for the story about tiramisu, as well!

If you are in Rome, and you do not come to this incredible restaurant located in the Catacombs of Rome, you are making one of life's biggest mistakes!

Wellington
“Best meal with genuine warm atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We loved this restaurant and their tiramisu is to die for. Wonderful fresh food that is plentiful and well priced. Be prepared to be wowed.

bonita springs, florida
“ANTICA ROMA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I first became aware of the fabulous eatery by reading Tripadvisor . I saw that it was a distance from where I was staying and asked about transportation. I received an immediate response from Paolo who said that if he could not get a taxi for me, he would loan me his motorcycle. Well I made reservations and went there on Sunday night, April 1, 2012. We arrived at the restaurant early and were greeted as old friends and given a glass of champagne while we waited to be seated in the interior part of the restaurant which is part of an ancient monument to slaved freed by Augustus Caesar. I had the antic chicken as well as great anti pasta and lasagna all on Paolo's recommendation.
All the tastes and flavors were wonderful and Paolo and his dad were gracious hosts.
Paolo is a character and quite entertaining. He is natural showman and you can see that he loves his restaurant and his creations. We liked it so much, we went back a second time.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Italian food.
Ciao,