“A must when in Rome”

Ranked #141 of 12,682 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$ 35 - US$ 94
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Colonna
Description: ITA - ENG Express Cuisine where tradition meets new trends in gastronomy, selected season ingredients and home made bread, pasta and desserts. Light and gourmet lunch menu, elegant and sophisticated dinner menu. Professional personnel with a special regard for customer service with a welcoming external space that is both ample and comfortable. Special events and corporate dinner services available as well as exclusive wine and food tastings.
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Let me start by saying that I had scoured a number of resources trying to find an authentic Roman dining experience. I settled on 2 places, each with a different character. The first place we went was an absolute disaster! Tourist trap. After the meal I went back to the hotel & decided to ask the concierge for recommendations. Life was recommended. It was a mere 5 blocks from my hotel. Upon arrival, the host (who I believe might have been the owner) greeted us with a big smile, & lead us to a lovely table inside. He referred to us as his special guests to his waitstaff and that's where it all began... The menu had plenty of the usual suspects (carbonara, pizza, veal). An order of fresh, hot focaccia was brought to the table, gorgeous! We chose to start with the smoked duck carpaccio served with a delightful little pile of carmalized apple bits, divine!!! The silky duck slices melted on your tongue. A-mazing! In keeping with the duck theme, I ordered the pappardelle with a duck ragu w/ apples. The ragu was rich in flavor & the pasta as fresh as could be. Then came the veal which was grilled to perfection, so tender it could almost be cut with a fork. The servers checked back with us a number of times (but not too much to be annoying.) when we asked if we could finish our bottle outside, the owner(?) personally escorted us out to a table. He chatted a bit and left us to enjoy the evening. When we prepared to leave, he signal led for limonchello to be brought to the table. He was so kind - everyone was so kind- we asked if we could reserve for the following night. Of course we returned. This night we had the duck carpaccio again, had to! Then we both had sea bass which was cooked, filleted & served to perfection. We had even made an off-the-menu request which was granted no questions asked. Another fabulous meal, gorgeous bottle of wine & service which made us feel like royalty. I highly recommend making it a must stop when in Rome. It's well located not far from the Spanish Steps but not on a heavily trafficked street so you can enjoy sitting outside. Oh, I forgot to mention, it was at least 30% less expensive than the tourist trap we had experienced the night before. This place is LOVELY! A must when in Rome.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Food is good with no questions. I'm happy with my pasta with clams. What makes me unhappy is the fact that the waiter didn't return my credit card and after 2 days I found out about it (I was traveling in Italy and only used my credit card occasionally) and emailed them about the situation and asked them whether they can send my credit card to UK, I never heard from them at all - not even a yes or no.

You'll enjoy the food there, but remember to double check if the waiter returns the credit card to you or not. One can imagine how inconvenient it is to travel without a credit card.

1  Thank nyusc
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

this is the email that we wrote to this client on July 5th and we still would like to help her :

dear Ch....................
I m Clemente Guarino , owner of ristorante Life , on June 30th I was in the restaurant when you came, and when You left the restaurant I personally found you credit in the money box ( where was the bill too )
unfortunately you have't seen the card and you left it inside the money box. Anyway the important think is that we found your credit card and if you prefer I will send your credit card in London ( we need you exact address )
saluti , a presto
Clemente

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I had filtered this ristorante ahead of our visit to Rome, but happened to stumble upon it walking back from the Pantheon. Pleasant t service and good food reflect reviews posted to date. Eating outside is fine, but expect the panhandling to come right up to,your table, unabated.
Salads, pizzas and pasta options for all and of course the 'dolce' are delicious!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was just about the only decent lace we ate while visiting Rome. The food was great, and the restaurant was very clean. I definitely recommend eating here on your trip to Rome.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We ate here 3 times on our recent trip to Rome. Two lunches and one dinner. The food was very good and well presented on each occasion and they have a very nice wine list. Service was very good twice and the waiter even remembered us and welcomed us back but on our third and final visit is was a little more sloppy which was disappointing given the other two occasions, we nearly walked out as they took so long to take our order. They seemed too busy clearing glasses and generally tidying instead of attending to waiting customers and it was not particularly busy. They also switched the lights off which I am hoping was not intentional as it was only 2pm hardly the end of service!!

Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

buongiorno , we are Clemente e Giovanna Guarino owners of Life , we would like to thank this client for this kind review and for coming so many times in our restaurant . I apologize for the not prompt service the 3rd time and thank you for your nice report . About the lights in the restaurant we have only a change of intensity during the day . ( for sure not intentional closing in the afternoon at 2pm ). Thank you for your kindly attention ! Clemente e Giovanna Guarino