“Lovely for the independent traveler” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cecilia Suites Rome

Cecilia Suites Rome
Ranked #1,558 of 3,732 Rome B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Lovely for the independent traveler”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have a pleasant stay in early November in a small apartment near Piazza Navona that I found cheap, clean and centrally located, easily linked to the main transport services, well served commercially. I found courtesy, helpfulness and efficiency. I was able to visit almost all the monuments on foot. It has a small kitchen that allowed me to be more independent. Memorable experience. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Let me start by saying that I think these apartments are in various sites. Our apartment was on the Vicollo Cellini so please check where you will be staying as I would NOT recommend staying at this one?

The space was small but that wasn't the problem. These I can summarise briefly as follows:-

- Tiny tiny bed (mentioned on previous reviews) - either myself or my husband de-bunked to the sofa each night and we are both small people.
- Tiny shower cubicle. I'm a small size 8 lady and was fine but anyone much larger would struggle to bend over in the shower to wash their feet.
- Generally very very noisy - single glazed windows that never gave any protection to the local heavy traffic noise which went on all day and all night night. Sleeping with a pillow over your head is not very romantic!
- Lack of natural light giving it a very cave like atmosphere.
- Everything was generally very dirty and the mattress had definitely seen better days

Unlike some reviewers we found the owner to be polite and helpful and thankfully there is plenty to see in Rome so we literally used the room to shower and sleep in but that was more to do with the fact that we didn't really like spending any time there.

Please check which site you will be staying at and avoid this one at all costs. Others locations appear to have been OK.

Rome tips

- Ladies don't bother with Stilettos. - the cobbles will ruin them (I spent all five days and evenings in my trainers and jeans)
- Rome is ridiculously expensive - Take triple the money you think you will spend.
- Drivers in Rome have no respect for road etiquette. They even drove around a chap in a wheelchair so do be careful.

Have a great time, but avoid this apartment unless you are prepared to put up with all of the above.

Room Tip: Check which room you will be getting and avoid the Vicollo Cellini ground floor apartment
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sibloo01
Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

We booked for an apartment in Trastevere but were changed to an apartment off Piazza Navona at the last minute due to water problems in the Trastevere apartment.

The apartment is on the 3rd floor and is basic but clean and large enough for 4 of us, the front room was a bit noisy at night as there is a bar and resturant downstairs but the bedroom was much quieter, I found the bed hard but we were so tired each night it was bliss anyway.

The best bit was the location, 2 mins from Piazza Navona (great for dinner and people watching) 15 mins from the vatican, 20 mins to the Colosseum. Loads of resturants and shops in the area, we spent most evenings just walking around the cobbled back streets. Overall It is fantastic value accommodation in central Rome

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

My partner and I have just returned from Rome after staying in Cecilia's Sant Agata apartment and have nothing but praise for the accommodation and service. After booking accommodation at a hostel months earlier we read reports a few days before our trip that the hostel was infested with bed bugs so we needed to find alternative accommodation at very short notice. We paid only 40 euros extra each for the apartment and so we didn't know what to expect, but to say we were pleasantly surprised would be an understatement!

We like to experience the culture of the country we're staying in when we travel so the Italian and very rustic decor of the apartment was perfect for us. The apartment had a fantastic view, with wooden shutters that opened to a view of a bustling square. The location could not have been more perfect, a couple of meters away was a tourist information booth, a tram stop, the Tiber and plenty of restaurants, bars and shops. The apartment was in close walking distance to all of the major sights as well, which we found really helpful.

Cecilia was very friendly and helpful and as soon as met her we felt very safe and secure and as if we could call on her for anything we might need. As soon as I sent her an sms I would get an instant reply.

I really couldn't fault the accommodation; it was perfect for us.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie H
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

When we were traveling to Rome for the first time this summer and were looking for a place to stay for 3 nights. We don't speak any Italian, so it was important for us to take care of our accommodations prior to our arrival. Based on online reviews, our daughter recommended Cecilia Suites (Vicolo sant'agata 2). It was nicely situated - in Trastevere - and everyone had nice things to say. The price was good too. We booked on Hostelworld.com and paid a deposit and also purchased a transfer from Ceclia's recommended car service.

When we came to Rome, Cecilia met us in the apartment and promptly collected the remainder of the amount (330 euros). She told us that the apartment, though small, had Wifi included in the payment. She also mentioned that we can always call her if we need anything or talk to the owner, Maria, who lived next door.

We were very tired after our arrival so we didn't check everything with her there, but when Cecilia left, we noticed that there was no toilet paper anywhere, didn't find the lighter or matches for the gas range or some basic supplies (like a kettle for heating water). Also in the shower there were empty (used) shampoo bottles as if the shower was not cleaned after the previous use. Wifi didn't work either.

When we tried to reach the owner in the neighboring apartment, nobody was there. We then decided to call Cecilia, but there was no phone in the apartment. We went out into the neighborhood to find a pay phone. As mentioned above, we spoke no Italian and had never been to Italy so this was a big challenge for us - looking for a pay phone, getting change, figuring out how to use it, etc.. We ultimately ended up paying something like $3 to make a phone call in some booth that was meant for international calling. When we finally reached Cecilia, she said that we need to contact the owner Maria about all the issues we were having. We said that she was inaccessible to which Cecilia responded that she doesn't deal with these items and we just need to do our best to find the other lady. The only thing she seemed interested in was whether we wanted a transfer back to the airport (which we did not). We were very disappointed at her lack of caring about our problems with the apartment.

Over the course of 3 days, we tried to find Maria, stopping by and knocking on her door numerous times, all without success. It seemed like she was out of town or something. We couldn't use the stove because we couldn't find the lighter/matches, so we ended up going out to eat/drink a lot more often than we were planning. We had to pay $5/coffee or tea each morning. We couldn't find toilet paper or a market that sold it so we had to borrow some from restaurants nearby.

The last drop was when we went to visit our friends who were renting an apartment near the Pantheon for the same amount of money but they had a much bigger place (3 rooms, rather than 1!) and a friendly owner who was ready to assist with any request.

We think that we deserved better service. It's a shame that our first trip to Rome had to be marred by such silly headaches with our accommodations.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yuliya D
cecilia777777, Responsabile reception at Cecilia Suites Rome, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
This review is different by all the other reviews written by my guests.
This booking was on Hosteworld web-site (where I have 100/100. My structure have a very positive evaluation)The trip of my guests was organized by the daughter. I had with here a extensive correspondence before the arrival of parents. In the email , the daughter asked to help parents for the transfer and I have informed her that my apartments were independent and without phone or reception.
The daughter did not cancel the booking. I have offered my personal phone to her for to speak with her parents but she didn’t call!!
The parents had, it is clear from the review, a major difficulty in communicating, not only with me, in Rome, beacause they spoke an American unintelligible. Mrs. Mary, the owner of the house, working in a shop next the door of the apartment and is open from 10 am to 20 h p.m. for the guests. But surely the gentlemen knocking the wrong door. I show him at the arrival where is the shop.
Even, the wifi works fine but they had difficulty in understanding how made the connection.
As the cleaning , the lady knows that you check before you pay. She says that was tired. But it is not true!! We checked together all the apartment. We have spoken a lot, with difficulty, before the final payment.
I put lot of effort in welcoming. All guests recognize me. I'm really sad for inconvenience surely proven by the parents. I suggest at the daughter to book a hotel with a reception 24/24!!