“Loved This Hotel!”

Ranked #541 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
“Loved This Hotel!”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We just had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Capannelle - it was very modern (Americanized), clean, quiet, and the staff were super accommodating. Breakfast was Fantastic! This hotel offers a Shuttle service that drops you at a metro as it is some distance from down town Rome. We found getting around Rome quite easy. Not much around the area where this Hotel is, but for us that wasn't an issue. We caught the first or second shuttle in the morning and didn't return until the last shuttle pick-up in the evening; by that time we were too pooped to do anything else (LOL!) If you wanted somewhere else to dine other than at the Hotel, they recommended a lovely little restaurant just behind the Hotel. The food was excellent and prices very good! Oh, and next door to this little restaurant was a Gelato shop! We will definately book there again should we return to Rome.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is away from the elevator and/or ice machine! Always ask to see the room before...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bev D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fresno
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I am sad to I was overall disappointed with this hotel. Prior to booking, I researched this hotel using many websites. The reviews were good so I booked a suite. Additionally, I booked the hotel even though it was a good distance from downtown Rome. To begin with, when I arrived at the hotel there was no one to be found to help with my luggage. ( we had several pieces after returning from a cruise). Second, the clerk had trouble finding my reservation. After making my way to the room ( still no one to help with my six pieces of luggage), I was not made aware the room key was required to be inserted in a dock for the lights and air conditioner to work. The first hotel staff I ask for help entered my room made a comment and left without explaining that I had to insert the room key. After getting settled, I discovered the "free wireless" internet did not work. The Internet was down for both days I was there. When I called the front desk to inquire about the Internet, the staff member who appeared to be in charge of maintenance came up to my room looked at my iPad, made a comment and never came back. A few hours later, I called the front desk again and the clerk advised me the Internet was down but that they would send a staff member to come fix the problem. No one ever came up. After returning from site seeing, we returned to the hotel to find the elevators were not working. The second day we started with a good breakfast from the hotel. After returning from site seeing, I called for room service. It took me about five callls to finally get somebody. Even then, the person answering the phone was the front desk clerk and not room service. In order to get a bucket of ice, I had to go o the restaurant on the main floor. As I checked out, I found the shuttle service to be miserable. The driver appeared to be bothered by the fact that I asked him go to FCO airport. I was surprised since we were the only passengers. The hotel offers shuttle service to one airport but not the other. Overall, I found the staff not to be friendly. This is true especially of the shuttle driver. To be fair, I found the room and hotel to be clean. However, when I consider all of the above, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stan M
Maidenhead
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We were 3 kids and 3 adults travelling by car. Hotel was easy to find and parking was easy in the car park under the hotel. Rooms were nice for adults and kids - clean and practical. Shuttle to and from metro very convenient. Breakfast was GREAT. I guess business people use this hotel a lot as we saw a lot of suits - but it was perfect for a touring family like us too

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Jamie_Maidenhead
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The hotel is a short metro ride into rome, free shuttle bus from hotel to metro station you can buy the metro tickets from hotel reception. Good clean hotel really helpful staff, we ate at the hotel on an evening and really enjoyed our food good value for money. Nothing around the hotel to enjoy of an evening. Breakfasts great.. Spotless hotel enjoyed our stay,

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank tinab460
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed here for just one night in September 2011 as part of inter rail. We got the room for barely €100 for a night combined - not bad for a 4-star hotel in Rome at the end of peak season!

As I arrived before my friend, I had some time to take in the surrounding area. From the centre of Rome or from Termini, this hotel requires a metro then a bus, or a short train ride but it is situated a few hundred metres from the FS station if you decide to take the train direct from Termini. The metro/bus is probably the better option especially if you have luggage. The area is quite quiet as it is about 13km from downtown Rome. Predominantly local families who, while maybe not overly friendly, are keen to help out should you become lost (as I did, rather embarrassingly at the back of what turned out to be the hotel itself!)

The room was lavishly equipped and the bathroom equally so. Air-con worked fantastically and provided a good night's sleep - ideal as we had both been travelling the whole day! Although I feared the beds were joined together they were in fact singles which could be pushed apart. A good night's sleep therefore ensued.

Breakfast was included in the fare and was decent enough. Maybe not as good as other hotels of a similar calibre but let's not forget the price tag. The only real gripe I have with this hotel is its shuttle bus. Merely a Mercedes Sprinter with panoramic windows, it did not show at its appointed time in the morning to take us to the Metro station. Clearly running on Italian Summer time i.e do a no-show! For us this wasn't a massive issue as we had prepaid public transport tickets for the duration of our stay in Rome, but many others were left very frustrated at having to travel on (and no doubt pay for) a public bus. The main road was about 300 metres from the hotel, thankfully slightly downhill. The bus service into Rome and towards the Metro station is fast and frequent.

For the money I would definitely stay at the Capanelle again. The price resembled that of 4-star hotels a few years ago, whilst maintaining that good old fashioned charm of a well-kept privately owned hotel. I can also see it being an ideal hotel for those who come to Rome by car but who don't want to drive within Rome. If I couldn't match the price again I would search alternative hotels but at the time of booking the Capanelle, I had seen 2-and 3-star hotels nowhere near as cheap.

Bravo Hotel Capanelle, you have one very satisfied customer here! Forza Roma (e Capanelle!)

• Stayed September 2011