“Great place, price, location & super helpful and friendly staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Funny Palace

Funny Palace
Ranked #959 of 3,707 Rome B&B and Inns
Hawaii
“Great place, price, location & super helpful and friendly staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Hard to find & may feel a bit misleading, you arrive & check in in at a laundry mat, but hostel is amazing! Laundry mat is also where you can access internet, they have set of desks & computers. Also there's wifi access in rooms. They offer breakfast coupons for coffee or juice & croissant (or pastry of equal value) at local restaurant down st. Also gave us a bottle of wine.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Rob who was most helpful the entire stay along w/others! He very concerned about our trip & plans. He pretty much mapped out our trip in a way in which we would be able to see everything in a timely manner while saving where we could w/Roma Pass etc.

Large Rooms, modern, nice & clean, w/our own bathroom, double bed (two twin beds pushed together), small fridge (unfortunately is was broken), small flat screen TV. No elevator, but not necessary. Need to bring your own soap and shampoo. They offer towels and bed linens are available. We left a note on door asking for no room service please in Italian and English, but they knocked on our door every morning regardless trying to clean it and the last day they they did come in while we were gone and they didn't clean anything or tidy up, they just took our pillows! Other then that everything was fine.

Great location near the terminal where you can access buses, trains, subways making it easy to get around. They only except cash on the spot, which came as a shock when we checked in late one night, I had not received a confirmation from hostel just the travel site hostels.com, which made me nervous about reservation, but we were able to access a cash machine that night.

Room Tip: Ask for your own bathroom. Double room means 1 bed w/two twins pushed together, this seemed confusin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I really enjoyed coming here. I didn't pay much and felt like I got my money's worth. The staff helped us organize an easy itinerary to see all of Rome within two days and the main train station is less than a 5 minute walk from the hostel. The directions will lead you to the internet cafe and from there the staff at the internet cafe will check you in and take you to your room, which is around the corner. The internet cafe is also a laundry, so we actually were able to get our laundry done on the last day there and go sight seeing. The staff just made it easy for us. But keep in mind, Rome is hot during September (humid hot).

Room Tip: I tend to notice some of the better hostels our on the side of the train station where the street Vi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Taos, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

Because I had booked so many hostels I thought this was a female dorm. After checking in I changed in my room and then a guy walked into the room and I asked him what he was doing in the female dorm and he said he worked there. He should have told me then it wasn´t a female dorm but coed dorm so I wasn´t changing in the room. When I checked out I was forced to pay in cash although no where on the reservation did it say credit cards weren´t accepted and I had to pay for my first night via hostel world by credit card so they obviously took credit cards. usually if you pay cash you get a discount because the owner is cheating on taxes but he removed to give a discount. The shower is a hand held one and there is nothing to attach it to the wall. The shower and toilet are in the same room so you can´t use the toilet if someone is taking a shower. When I asked for helping booking my train ticket the guy told me he didn´t speak Italian, yet earlier he was telling me thing to do and he was giving me the local perspective.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

I actually enjoyed staying here, but I feel like there is a lot of misinformation about this place on the internet... first off, calling it a hostel is a bit of a stretch. They have a bunch of apartments in the blocks around an internet point and laundromat. I saw two rooms as I was asked to change for one night, and it seems a bit luck of the draw as to whether you get a good room or not. My first one had aircon, it was very clean and the bathroom was great... my second had no aircon, and the shower in the bathroom didn't connect to the wall so you had to hold it by hand (not that that's a major problem). Both rooms I stayed in were 3-bedroom - they feel like a hotel room, only with strangers. I had booked for a 5-bed, and others I met had booked a twin room but were in a 3, so it seems like you can't rely on what you actually reserve. I think the biggest thing with Funny Palace is there is no common room whatsoever. Each apartment seems to have perhaps 3 rooms in it and there's usually just a hall connecting it. This means it could be very difficult to meet people if that's the type of place you want. I was lucky enough to stay in my room with some great people, but if you didn't like them, it would be very hard to get away as I could literally reach out and touch the other beds from mine - not a lot of personal space! The owner and workers are awesome, they are super helpful and friendly, and I did enjoy staying here, but if you're the type of person looking to meet a bunch of people and have some fun, I don't think this is the place for you!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank s0phie85
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

The hostel is located near the Termini Station- from the airport you can catch a bus which takes you straight to the station and it is only a 5 minute walk. The Hostel is not well signposted as the reception is located in a laundry mat, and it seems like random people are checking you in. However, their knowledge of Rome and suggestions of what to do was fantastic.
I shared a three person dorm with its own bathroom. The room was cleaned daily, and we recieved a breakfast voucher on arrival as well as a bottle of wine. Although the hostel does not have a common area, I found it easy to meet people there

Room Tip: the share rooms have their own bathroom and a fan which was good in hot weather
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo