“Disappointed in this Hotel!”
Review of Hotel Cavour

Hotel Cavour
Ranked #831 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Searched this hotel for stay in Rome before cruise. The rating & reviews were a bit off for this property. Location was really best feature, however, room & lack of hot water (tepid at best) was most disappointing. Room was very quiet & front desk personnel who was reserved & relatively cordial was not forthcoming with suggestions or recommendations. Wifi only worked in lobby area & not in the room. Price was very good, 50 euros, per night but I've stayed in other hotels in Rome last year for same rate which was a better room & facilities.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank NYWldTraveler

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I booked the hotel after reading the reviews here, so I wasn’t too disappointed when got inside the room 207, and my review is only based on this room.

The hotel was not difficult to find if you follow the tram track to Street Cavour after come out of the Termini station, walking about five minutes, the hotel is on your right. The next door is a souvenir shop where you can buy an adopter for your chargers as Italian use a 3 pin plug, it cost €5.

The room 207 was very basic as many of others described. The room was tiny but clean. There wasn’t much of the view as the hotel was behind another ugly dirty building. No air-conditioning but a fan in the room, it was end of September so it was ok at night; the pillow was very thin, I had to put my clothes underneath it; the TV was small and it didn’t have a signal, I don’t speak Italian anyway so didn’t bother to ask for a change or repairing.

I had to share the bathroom with others who stayed on the same floor, I didn’t mind until the second night when I went in to find out that the bathroom was like an elephant had just been taking a bath in it, water was everywhere on the floor, I guess some people just don’t consider of other users. The toilet was as difficult to use as described by others, so I had to use the free toilet in the museums or galleries for three days, (they charge you €1 for using toilet at the Termini station!)

The wall was quite thin, the first night I was exhausted so went to bed early. Around eleven o’clock, I was woken by the couple next door who were chatting in their room loudly, that lady’s laughter was so dramatic! The third night I couldn’t sleep because the noises from the air condition units outside.

The breakfast was the worst I have ever had, only a couple of bread rolls and a cup of tea. When checked out, on top of €60/night there was also €2 each night for city tax. I am not sure if I should recommend this hotel as I would not go back myself, for that price I would find a more comfortable place but a little bit outside the centre area next time.

If you have not yet bored with my review, that I would like to share a few experiences which may benefit your future trip.

1. When arriving Roma, there is a shuttle bus (at airport stand 1) from the airport to Roma city centre, €8 single way or €15 returns. It runs every hour and seven days a week. It takes approximate an hour to get to the Roma city centre. It has two stops, first stop is Vatican, and then Termini station in the city centre.

2. I booked ‘skip the line’ on the Vatican museum website which cost me €27 + €7 audio tour hiring. However, the ticket price of Vatican museum was only €15, and you have to queue for the security check anyway. Most of these skip the line services are in the morning when most of the tourists have the same idea to visit the museum early, you couldn’t see much without push or been pushed. I stayed until noon when there are less people so I could calmly enjoy my visiting. It’s same to St. Peter’s a long queue in the morning but much less people visiting after 2pm.

3. There are two lines of underground in Roma which can take you to all the attractions. From Termini station to Vatican museum (Ottaviano, San Pietro) only six stops by using Line A and only cost €1 for a single trip, but don’t be surprised if you can’t find many English instructions.

4. There is a small supermarket at lower level of Termini station which is the only one that I could find in the city, the price of the food was reasonable; you can enjoy some fresh fruit and yogurt.

5. The sightseeing tour bus by passes most tourist attractions in the city centre, to find your way around you have to have a detailed street map as the old town have so many small streets and visibility of street signs on some buildings is not good in the dark.

6. If you are a cat lover, please bring some cat treats when visit Vatican museum. There is a black cat - Mr.V that just looks like my cat Maomao. He is a very nice and sociable cat, when I chilled out in the garden, he walked toward me and sit down next to my feet enjoyed me patting him. He’s quite slim which makes his head looks much bigger. Poor creature even fought over a couple of piece bread with pigeons!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank CindyJLiu
Reviewed 18 November 2011

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for at the end of my trip. A place to stay that was clean, affordable, and close to the train station. I just needed to crash and get up early for a flight out. This worked so well. I walked to and from the station (only works if you have minimal luggage) and saved on cab fare. A good thing since I had just spent three weeks throughout Italy and was low on funds. There are plenty of great places to eat in the area and a nice place to say goodbye to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SCagray
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Great location, VERY near ROMA Centrale. Air con was an added bonus to an economy hotel. Breakfast was adequate but clean and a good base for a city break.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Our hotel room was very large and the air conditioning worked very well. The hotel is 3 or 4 blocks from the train station and a short walk to the Colosseum. The room is very simple, clean and spacious! Breakfast was rolls and coffee. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple