“Fawlty Towers” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #586 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights, where do I begin? Remembering this is a 4 star hotel, the first evening we ordered our evening meal in the smart looking restaurant. My main course arrived on a brown plate with a big white chip in it, the three other members of my party all had different style/colour plates. My husband called the waiter to complain about the chip in the plate, he was a young waiter and didn't seem to understand the problem and so my husband asked to speak to the restaurant manager who was fussing around a birthday party for an Italian group. The manager eventually came and "pretended" he couldn't speak English and so the conversation was translated by a very nice young waitress. The manager explained that he didn't have enough plates because of the birthday party (there was approx 16 people). No apology was ever made by the manager. The food was mediocre, unfortunately we had to eat in the Restaurant once more due to the locality (no where else to eat!) once again the food was disappointing.
We asked for the aircon to be turned up on numerous occasions with no effect. Most people stayinng in the hotel were complaining constantly and just to finish things on the last morning coming down for breakfast, I poured a glass of orange juice and went to take it outside in the sunshine and the surly waiter told me I was not allowed to take the drink outside!!!
We had previously spend 3 nights in Amalfi where the people were very friendly and welcoming, but at the Black Hotel, all the staff (except Simon and a young girl) were surly, unwelcoming and downright rude!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IIovetotravel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Hotel was not easy to find they mentioned the shuttle but you have wait for ages so we took cab and it was kind of expensieve , the dinner was lovely and that expensieve , breakfast was good enough , no fresh orange juice but it wont kill me -:) .. Service could be better -:( .. Room was clean and alright .. Everything has back theme ( duh ... Thats why they called it black hotel ? ) a bit depressing -:) .. Too bad the location too far from the places i would like to see .. But hey its Rome -:) ... I eould not book this hotel for my next visit tho as i would love to stay in a walking distance to restaurants and pubs -:) .. Cheers

• Stayed September 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Panamá
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

It's in the middle of nowhere, you have to take a bus via Aurelia and buses run every hour delayed if you have an agenda. Reception staff unfriendly, no laundry service. although the room is a note that offer this service. too dark, the hallways are very dark, very sinister... the toilet is floating but poorly installed every time you sit down, makes a terrible noise in the middle of the night, wake your neighbors.....they wanted to be a modern boutique hotel type, but didn't work out well with the budget! please skip this hotel, seriously.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mickeypanama

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

The description of the Black Hotel is far from the truth! The rooms are NOT equipped with the latest technology. The internet does not work in the entire hotel. It shows 2 wireless spots, but staff said the internet did not work anywhere in the hotel. 4-Star Hotel is a joke!!! The shower flooded the bathroom. There was no rubber on the bottom of the door to prevent the water from coming out. There was a hole in the shower door where a handle is suppose to be installed at a later time. There is no place for a suitcase. The first suitcase went on the desk. Put second suitcase on the floor. There is no room in the bathroom to put anything. Need to set any bathroom toiletries on the floor.
We had a reservation for multiple nights. Left after the first night. This hotel is a disaster!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Shotley Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

After reading other reviews on here I was really not looking to staying here. How wrong could I be!! The Black Hotel is more than worth its four stars, the staff are friendly and very helpful. They helped us with directions no problem and printed out our vouchers for the vatican Museum, they tried their best to help after Air France failed to deliver our luggage by ringing around for us. Yes the location isn't brilliant but you know what people, check google maps!!! I knew before hand and was prepared however I wouldn't say it was badly located, there is a bus to the metro station it does get busy but the hotel offer a shuttle service, although it says complimentary it was 2 euro, well worth it!!! Straight to the Metro then another 1 euro to anywhere on the A line, or you could spend 4 euro to hop on off the metro, we paid just 1 euro as we chose to walk everywhere. There is a bank up to the hotel, however again I am not the fittest most lithe person but managed the bank without problem. I dispute the walk to catch the bus is long, 10 mins, you're visiting Rome, you're going to walk longer than that to see the sights!!! Breakfast was good, continental but could get scrambled eggs and bacon also, staff were always topping things up and there was plenty to go around, also a long breakfast period, 7.30 until 11am, excellent. On our last night I hurt my foot and could not walk well, the hotel were great, I wasn't hungry but my husband asked if it was possible he could eat in the room, no problem his meal was brought to the room within 20 mins, steak with potatoes cooked to perfection, with bread and dipping oil, also he ordered a fruit salad that came with a sort of creme brulee which was also excellent. The worst part of my honeymoon was Air France taking four days to deliver my luggage, I would without doubt stay here again and have recommended the hotel to my friends. I would suggest if you want a closer location pay the cost and stay in the city do not winge about the location surely the idea is to check before you book!! Don't blame the hotel for this!! I personally preferred the location and yes I did venture out after dark and felt completely safe. I found the hotel to be relaxing, rooms very clean yes you could hear people in other rooms but only because some people were loud no different to other hotels I've stayed in and this includes some ewell known top hotels!!, we had no bother sleeping , excellent facilities, brilliant!!! Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Air con can be difficult to oeprate but the reception staff can overide and will have no problem hel...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple