“Moved us to a worse hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Augustea

Hotel Augustea
Ranked #655 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Hull
“Moved us to a worse hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Easy to find, few minutes on foot from Termini Station, near Piazza Reppublica. Walking distance of main attractions and easy to find buses and metro nearby. Reception was up some stairs and we noticed that there was an out of order sign on the lift. Lovely old building and friendly welcome when we arrived (too early to check in), from a man who promised to give us a nice room. On check in we were taken to the hotel Patria down a side street. Very disappointing, basic room although clean. Friendly staff, basic breakfast, but not what I had booked.

Room Tip: Can't comment as we were put into an entirely different hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Adeyave
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Horndon-on-the-Hill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

My partner arranged a four day surprise visit to Rome for my 70th birthday. It was on a budget, booked through Citalia, who sent us to Hotel Augustea. Everything said by previous reviewers was correct - no lift until you have got the cases up a few stairs. This was OK as we only had small cases, but if you were disabled and had a large suitcase, it would have been a problem! Our bedroom was small on the back of the hote, but I had asked for a quiet room and got just that. Considering the hotel was on a very busy street, we could hear very little even with the window open, which we did not need because the air-con worked well. It was quaintly furnished as per an old hotel, but very clean, plenty of hot water and enough room to hang our clothes for a few days. The towels, although they looked like teatowels, did the job and were changed daily.
The breakfast room IS small , but if you have an early breakfast or a later one, you should find a seat. Plenty of cereal, meats, cheese and lovely rolls, jam honey etc. Just what you would expect of a continental breakfast in a basic hotel, and we certainly did not starve. Staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English.
All in all, a very adequate hotel for the price paid, £250 each for four days including our flights with Easyjet, which were fine too!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back, bit dark but who cares when its sunny all day outside
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilly005
INDIA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

I have just returned from Rome and as luck would have it, my Holiday agency fixed this hotel at Rome for the three of us. Apart from location ( Termini is nearby , but there are plenty of better options near Termini) there is NOTHING to recommend this hotel. If you are expecting to find a smooth transit to your room after a hard day's travel....forget it ! There is lift which accommodates either you or your luggage and goes only upto 1st floor
. If you are accommodated in the better rooms housed on the 2nd floor, you need to pull your bags and everything up a steep staircase ....that's a horrible experience and I just don't know how they call it 3-star. The two guys and the breakfast-room lady are smiling and friendly, but that hardly helps with a worthless non-cooperating manager calling the shots over telephone. Sorry, take a pensione if nothing else , but avoid this one, by all means.

Room Tip: The rooms are depressing. No recommendation.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank myfreerun

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

the location is very good, just few blocks from the train station and the turist bus stop, the staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was spacious and the bathroom clean and new but quite small.
breakfast was ok but the there's only 4 or 5 tiny tables so you have to go for breakfast or very early or late otherwise u'll have to queue for a table. apart from that the hotel is fine, basically you get what you pay for

Room Tip: there is no lift!!! ask for a room in the first floor if you have heavy bags
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Birzebbuga, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

I paid Eur140 for 2 nights in this hotel and thank God I didn't spend one more cent!

GOOD POINTS:-
- Nice staff;
- Clean Laundry;
- Slept peacefully every night (tough to say the truth, it was the first time ever I put a chair against a hotel bedroom door for peace of mind);
- Hotel is very close to all places of interest in Rome;
- Amongst other shops, there is a supermarket and a pharmacy close to the hotel which always come in useful.

LESS GOOD POINTS:-
- Fairly clean room;
- Smell of drainage in my room (thank God I had a good body spray which I used quite a lot during my stay);
- very old furniture and bathroom fittings (fixed, non-adjustable shower head for example);
- Mould on bathroom ceiling;
- Bedroom and bathroom window overlooked a literally spooky, dirty shaft (I kept windows, blinds and curtains completely shut during my whole stay);
- No internet in my room and since I was at Rome for work I had to work with my laptop at the reception area;
- Breakfast was good for my standards since I only have a bowl of cereal in the morning but very poor when compared to other hotels;
- Breakfast room is tiny,only sits 4 small tables;
- I don't know about the other rooms, but my room was tiny and not advisable for claustrophobic people;
- In the bathroom I had to sit sideways on the toilet since the bidet was very very close to the toilet.

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business